Another build thread (2021)

I have some fears, but my current high shelf cooler is not pulling its weight. It’s possible I installed it badly, but I don’t think so. Never had an unlocked CPU before, and it runs real hot when gaming. Plus, more room to move around in the case when changing things up is always good.

Interesting. Those big bequiets are supposed to be pretty good I remember. Would that case have supported a bigger motherboard? I’m wondering a using a PCIE slot further from the CPU for the GPU has any advantages re cooling.

Yeah, it supports a full ATX motherboard. My Micro ATX motherboard is a remnant from a previous case, a Fractal Design Define Mini C. Which was too tiny and not ventilated enough for my taste.

I don’t think the distance from the GPU is meaningful, it runs the same temps it did with my old 1080TI, which ran much cooler than the 3080. I guess the test would be running some stress test without a GPU, but I am too lazy to get that much into it.

We’ll see. I have it in a Define C now and it’s OK. I’d like to avoid loud fans if possible

They’re very quiet. They aren’t noctua grade for cooling (and the reviews I looked at suggested the Dark Rock 4 wasn’t great for its size).

Ultimately as long as the CPU is under 90 degrees and there’s no fan noise problem and you don’t want to overclock further, I don’t think it’s actually an issue.

Coincidentally I fitted a Noctua 12S yesterday, to see if it’d be quieter than the 90mm Zalman I put on there in 2016. And I think it is! But… I reseated the big 24 pin MB power cable while I was in there and had it fail to boot until I did it again… and now none of the USB inputs work. So no mouse or keyboard :/

Quiet though.

My keyboard is quite loud.

I decided to go with a Noctua cooler over the one that comes with the 5600x. The one I have in my current machine has been great - good cooling, nearly silent, looks cool when my case is open.

Svelte 120mm or the monster above that?

You just can’t go wrong with Noctua, imo. I have an NZXT kraken on my 5600, but only because it is a small case and cooler height is quite limited. But the 2 additional case fans I did buy are noctua

https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s, which is actually the same cooler I have in my current machine. I guess it has adapters and things?

It seems to, yes :)

I’ve basically bricked my system. The USB ports just don’t work so no mouse or keyboard. I have one PS2 port so I can laboriously navigate with an old keyboard but that’s it :(

Everything runs fine if it can be started, e.g. Cyberpunk, but nothing can be controlled.

It also takes several attempts to boot and does not completely shut down. Argh.

All I was doing was changing a fan :(

Fuck man, that sucks so much. I’m sorry :(

Could be worse! But argh.

unplug the usb ports from case to motherboard there’s a short, also unplug that power button thing from case and try to shut down

I’m taking it as a sign it might be time for a 5600x. Anyone know a mini itx motherboard that comes with an up to date bios…?

Doesn’t need to. Just get one you can flash from USB. I have the Asus B550i Strix (in case you happen to get this one, the print manual did not say so, but the cpu must be installed before the board can be flashed).

I did the flash from USB thing yesterday and it was weird. I don’t think I’ve ever tried to use a motherboard for anything w/o RAM or processor installed.

I remembered this thread wanted cooling info and took a look, which is how I discovered that I had failed to hook up my case exhaust fan. How does it work? Better with both fans running. I’ll get some numbers soon.