Another "How do I GIMP this" thread

I was at an Aikido seminar this weekend, and got a whole set of pictures, some of which I’d like to clean up so they look all nice.

I took them on my 35mm (Canon EOS 2000) on sports mode with Kodak 800 Max film and a Tamron 28-300mm zoom lens. They are mostly taken at about 200mm, and it’s a medium light environment.

I don’t think I could have gone ISO 400 without a beefy flash, so I don’t regret the speed choice, but they have 800-speed graininess to them, as well as some strange white spots interspersed around. I really like some of them, though, so I’d like to make them look as nice as I can.

If some of you photo types could give me some GIMP hints for this type of thing, it would be much appreciated.

Here’s a link to my favorite shot of the weekend, as an example. It’s uncropped and unshrunk, so it’s about a megabyte.

The image resolution is beyond that which Gimp can handle (for me, at least), so it uses default values.

Performing an adaptive despecle with radius=6, black level=3, white level=252 did a lot for the picture.

If it’s still grainy you could do a blur, but it makes the image look out of focus.