Another Life, starring Katee Sackhoff (caution, it's a Netflix Original)

Ya, it’s like they loaded the whole ship up with Chekovs.

You shouldn’t be surprised when they go off, then.

Ah, better.

Finished this last night. I think the final two episodes were probably the best ones, they seemed a little more well written and tighter paced, and the reveals were done nicely. Still, I can’t see Netflix renewing this unless they’d already signed on for multiple seasons from the start. It’s can’t be cheap to make, even with a mostly unknown cast, and I’m not sure they’re getting the viewers they’d hoped for from it.

If it doesn’t get renewed that ending leaves Earth pretty screwed. The reaction to the crew destroying the artifact was fast and final, so either the aliens have a base of some sort nearby, or they can travel much longer distances much faster than anyone else. All of that adds up to bad news for Earth. I did like that they now know there are hundreds of worlds out there with artifacts, so if the show did continue they could do a sort of Stargate thing where they travel around looking for allies on the occupied worlds and fighting the artifact aliens.

I made it 25 minutes into the first episode before turning it off in disgust. My friend who suffered through the whole season then recommended the following to me:

Which was far more entertaining than the show itself.

I couldn’t get through episode 3. They keep saying this is the most important mission for humankind, but they send a bunch of unprofessional idiots? Who bicker all the time like the cast of a reality show? Why would you entrust these people with a mission like this?

My breaking point was basically where they’re “mining” for oxygen on that rogue planet (which just happens to be floating nearby, in deep space). They get in the tunnel and then go “oh hey that’s oxygen” and pop their helmets off?

I mean, come on, how bad can the writing possibly get? Oxygen aside, did they even explain how it was that it was room temperature in there? And if the environment is good enough for them to be comfortable, what about microbes? These are the best people we have to send on a critical mission for humanity?

Holy fuck, I haven’t seen writing this bad in… Possibly ever. I mean, I can usually force myself to finish a show if it has any redeeming qualities whatsoever (like the AI guy and SPACESHIPS) but this was way too bad for me to go any further.

What a coincidence. That’s the scene where I stopped watch the show too.

Yes, this is the most implausible part of the show. However, if you can get past that, it’s an entertaining show.

I find myself agreeing. The bad is horri-bad (my personal “favorite” bit was the throwaway line about how they haven’t used uniforms in something like 20 years), but there’s some fun to be found when I suspend disbelief/brain cells.

The production values are through the roof, and most of the actual scifi stuff is good.

Honestly, it seems like they could have made an amazing show if they had dropped the mtv’s real world aspect of it.

Eh?

It’s at least not bad. I mean, it took The 100 a while to get over their idiocy. Sadly, I doubt Another Life will be given long enough leash to do so and I suspect we’ll be stuck with a single season that just tried too hard to appeal to whatever demographic likes “Big Brother drama in space.”

The sci fi stuff was so bad I stopped after the first episode. And I watched a bit of that video above and apparently it gets worse.

Guess it depends what you’re looking for. Realistic? Oh, hell no.

I mean… If you only watched the first episode, then you can’t really judge the content of the show overall.

The production values are great, but I think it’s the worst-written TV show I have ever seen. I am not a nitpicker when it comes to this stuff – willing suspension of disbelief is my superpower. But this show is so fucking dumb it’s unwatchable.

I think that there are certain parts of the plot, specify some of the interactions between the crew members, which you need to appreciate with an mst3k mentality.

6% Tomatometer. Ouch.

My daughter and I gave this a try and turned it off halfway through the first episode. What a drippy cast. Hardly the ‘right stuff’ for such a monumental expedition.

And the “we might hit a planet” so let’s sling shot around the tiny star bit was achingly bad.

6% on the Tomatometer is generous.

Huh? How?