another new Netflix Show (Travelers)

FYI, there’s a subreddit for that: https://www.reddit.com/r/doesitresolve in case you were not aware.

I did mean that in a humorous way. And seeing as my philosophy is question everything, it’s how you learn, I do not take umbrage when people do the same. And since you tend to be insightful and outspoken, I went with it. No offense intended.

Wow, what an ending to Season 1. They introduced a whole new concept at the end of the episode, and then carried it through to change the whole show possibly.

The little girl assassin was creepy as hell by the way. And the way they set it up, there’s no real way to know which messages are coming from the director and which messages are coming from the faction.

Anyway, excellent season and an excellent show.

It gets better.

WHEN ARE YOU FROM?

Bringing it back to Daredevil, is that even a superhero show? I mean, it’s just a blind lawyer who beats up hoodlums and gets his ass kicked and spends half his time injured and having boring conversations with a nurse who is treating him. I guess he has his other senses enhanced, but most of the time on that show is spent with him being hurt and stuff.

So S02E02 is a slow moving setup episode, which takes a great deal of time to maneuver pieces into place for many of the emerging subplot lines in Season 2.

Not happy with the turn of Marcy’s arc. On the plus side, can’t wait for S02E03!

Marcy’s ark is fine. My main beef is the long delay between episodes.

Marcy’s arc is Season 2 is turning out to be more than fabulous. Episode 10 turns out to be a high point.

Really enjoying the show. Season finale is next week. Season 2 premieres on Netflix later this month I understand. Uneven in parts, but still very good.

I love the show.

And so the finale for Season 2 of Travelers was broadcast tonight on Showcase.

Quite an unexpected turn of events, though cleverly, the groundwork is laid for this throughout the series.

The one problematic episode of the season is “Seventeen Minutes” - Season 2, Episode 7, which maddeningly breaks the known rules of time travel. The episode acknowledges that it is doing so without explaining it. I expect complaining here in this thread and general histrionics. We’ll discuss it after Season 2 is released on Netflix on December 26, 2018.

But other than that, Season 2 is stronger than Season 1. There are some plot threads oddly left alone, but for the most part, the writers have demonstrated that they will revisit things as they become important. If you think they left something important out - my guess is that if it really is, they’ll come back to it.

I can’t wait for Season 3. Sadly, I’ll still have to wait 9+ months.

Great show. Big Thumbs Up.

After watching episode 2 and part of 3, I’m pretty sure that those “miracle eyedrops” that Jenny gave Phillip are just more heroin, right?

I’m thinking something along those lines, but more super.

Do we know for sure that there’ll be a Season 3? Because the way they left us hanging at the end of Season 1 without knowing for sure we’d get a Season 2 was brutal.

Is there a good recap anywhere for this? I’m on episode 3 and I still feel a little lost because I’m not remembering season 1 for some reason. Some of it’s coming back as I watch, but this is really getting frustrating.

Here’s one. I am in the same situation–can’t remember much about the last season.

It seems to depend on its reception on Netflix. Showrunner Brad Wright is certainly hinting that it all depends on Netflix $$ yesterday on Twitter.

Reception on Showcase has been positive. If there is enough uptake on US Netflix? We’ll see. We’ll probably know in early February 2018, so it will be a decision based on uptake in the first 30 days of release I think.

Note: if you are in Canada, Canadian Netflix does not have Season 2 yet, only season 1. US Netflix released season 2 yesterday. It was available a week ago to stream on demand in Canada from Showcase if you are a Rogers subscriber, but was not available on demand for Bell customers. I’m not sure if the release to US Netflix yesterday changed any of that.

Story here:

It

Fingers crossed. Thanks for the info.

And on an unrelated note (although the pic from the story you linked reminded me): may I say that Mackenzie Porter is, er, quite winsome. In 19th Century dress (as Naomi in Hell on Wheels) she was pretty, but in today’s clothing, hair and makeup, wow.

My wife and made it through this very quickly, really enjoyed it. Did we know Marcy had a job as a x-ray tech? That seemed out of the blue, kept waiting for it to be explained.

I’ll wait too on episode 7, I didn’t understand that one either.

Marcy 2.0 took a health related job that she knew how to do but which did not require an inexplicable (and undocumented) med school education. She takes the job when she moves out of David’s apartment. There is no other explanation.

As for Mackenzie Porter’s beauty - she certainly is. Her background before becoming an actress was as a musician. She learned the violin growing up in rural Alberta and pursued a career in country music initially before getting the job on Travelers. I think she is such an excellent actress it seems bizarre to think she came at this as a second career. But music was always her main goal. She has several country music videos released; this is only one of them.

Yeah, I’d read that she was a country singer as well (or before, I suppose). I’m glad she tried acting.

The time travel undertaken in Seventeen Minutes, (Episode 7) is a violation of the rules of Time Travel, but some of those rules seem to be imposed by the Director, not by time itself.

The episode was written by the showrunner and developer of Travelers, Brad Wright, so this isn’t an episodic one off. He has a plan here and he is hinting at the rules of time in this episode in a way that we need to deduce. The Director doesn’t know for sure and isn’t explicitly sharing all of its knowledge. I think Brad Wright wants us to figure it out on our own.

As near as I can tell, the issues and rules in play for putting Alpha Protocol into effect emerge only through watching the episode. The viewer is the only participant in the tale who has perfect knowledge and that is important to realize. Even the Director doesn’t completely know what’s going on. The Director’s knowledge of what happened in the past is based upon what it has tried – and failed – to accomplish. It seems likely that each time it tries something new, it only knows about its own immediately preceding choice. It doesn’t know about the choices it tried to make before THAT as the Director exists within time itself, too. It also doesn’t know exactly what happened in the past and is not able to adjust to some of the obvious mistakes on the fly in its next attempt to compensate in terms of fine details.

Initially, I thought that after resetting and trying again, I THINK the Director doesn’t know itself what it tried the time before that so that it’s not multiple potential timelines, just a binary vibration on one timeline.

There are other problems though. The hosts become weaker each time the Director tries something until they are no longer suitable host candidates at all. That must may be a physical effect which emerges from altering time itself.

As for imperfect knowledge, one obvious “solution” was for the female parachutist to use the knife she found in the car to actually kill the Faction member, rather than merely wound him. That would have succeeded and allowed her to reach the Travelers in time on the motorcycle.

But instead, the Director doesn’t know about that failure to kill that faction member and how to adjust for it (the Director’s knowledge of the past is only known from video and computer records; the AI is NOT omniscient). Instead, the Director’s plan adjusts over time as new people begin to die in the past; those deaths then are flagged as potential host candidates when they were not before. In essence, disrupting the timestream and causing a new death as a result of its own actions is then leveraged by the Director to solve the problem. The truck driver was not supposed to die; he dies only because of a choice the Faction makes in response to the Director’s choices. THEN and only then does the truck driver become a host candidate that solves the problem for the Director.

We are left to deduce that The Director unintentionally disrupts time and then takes advantage of the consequences of its own disruptions, building upon that new reality to extricate itself from the moral quandary of killing someone who wasn’t “supposed” to die.

At least, that was what I thought when I first watched the episode. Then the “Update” episode happened and Philip starts juggling multiple timelines in his head without any real explanation from the Director as to what caused them. We think at first that this is a Faction related adjustment, but it’s possible that the necessity for having to do this was as a result of the effects on time that take place as a consequence of the events in “Seventeen Minutes”.

I think that’s the best explanation and why the Director rarely invokes Alpha Protocol on time travel. It’s disruptive as hell, creates deaths where none existed before and is morally questionable. That is why it is forbidden. Its effects cannot properly be assessed and safely taken into account. It can cause more problems than it solves.