Another nut named Thompson

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/10/20/dover_trial/index.html

Thompson is holding forth on his defense strategy. He says his scientific experts will show that I.D. is a valid scientific theory based on empirical observation by credentialed and respected scientists. He is arguing that no theory should be judged by its historical roots, even if they are religious, or even if they are creationist. Modern chemistry emerged from alchemy, after all, and that doesn’t make it bogus. Astronomy emerged from astrology, and we don’t hold that against it. Nor should a theory be judged by the personal ideologies of those who hold it; plenty of Darwinists are atheists, but that doesn’t disqualify evolutionary biology as an ideology, he says.

Okay, sounds reasonable so far.

Thompson gained fame as the Michigan state prosecutor who repeatedly charged assisted-suicide advocate Jack Kevorkian with first-degree murder, and didn’t stop pursuing him until Thompson was elected out of office, in large part for hounding Kevorkian. Thompson is also known for pushing through mandatory life sentences in Michigan for drug crimes and for prosecuting more drug offenders than anyone else. And, of course, Thompson shares with Bryan the conviction that Darwinism is perhaps the world’s most dangerous idea.

Okay… getting a little weirder…

“Look, scientists don’t sit there and ask, ‘Am I doing science or not?’ No scientist is going to say, ‘This is empirical truth about the wrong subject so I’m not going to study it.’ No, they look at whatever the empirical data is, and draw conclusions from it.”

“So you want to change the definition of science to include the supernatural?”

“Yes,” he says, “we need a total paradigm shift in science.”

Wooo, off the rocker scale!

Now, more to the point. I agree that if there are valid scientific questions that could point towards an intelligent design, they should be expanded and researched. But these psychos want people teaching that ID == god. Personally, if there was enough evidence to support the idea of intelligent design, I’d be far more willing to believe that we were genetically tinkered with (or created from scratch, who knows) by an advanced alien civilization. After all, it’s still more probable than ‘god’.

And if they did teach ID in schools, it should be highlighted that ID doesn’t have to mean ‘god’ as all the bible thumpers would like you to believe. If they want it taught, then fine, but they shouldn’t get a vector for injecting the bible in to classrooms.

I nominate Allah! That’ll get the bible thumpers off of ID fast!

Yeah, if school boards do go for ID, then the space alien theory should get just as much weight as the religious angle.

Remember class, the theory of the existence of God is just that, a theory.

Nor should a theory be judged by the personal ideologies of those who hold it; plenty of Darwinists are atheists, but that doesn’t disqualify evolutionary biology as an ideology

The alarm bells started to ring right here. Evolutionary biology is an ideology?

I don’t think the problem with ID is that it is put forward by Christians, merely that it is essentially creation wearing a dodgy pair of Groucho Marx glasses and an Einstein wig trying to pass itself off as valid science.

He’s got his thinking the wrong way around. One of the strengths of evolution is that it can be (and is) accepted by people of all creeds, as well as those who don’t believe in god at all. ID can only be accepted by those who have already accepted god, and not all creeds can accept it either.

ID can only be accepted by those who have already accepted god.

Or Aliens

(isn’t there a trekkie episode where they explain all the aliens being humanoid as the result of an entity “seeding” the galaxy with the same DNA?)

I dunno, but that’s pretty similar to the Macross protoculture theory. I think that if they’re going to teach ID, they should identify the “designer” as an intelligent but corporeal being, because that would be a true scientific theory. You can’t prove something based on faith alone, and that’s what makes this all so utterly ridiculous.

Can we please bring back the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Although the theory was proposed in sarcasm, it could well be a valid scientific theory based on empirical observation by credentialed and respected scientists, if only there were funding to pursue further serious research.

tng ep

after the holographic image of the seeder race was done explaining this the klingon captain who was watching said, “that was it? if she were not already dead i would have killed her myself!”

The only debate on Intelligent Design that is worthy of its subject
Moderator: We’re here today to debate the hot new topic, evolution versus Intelligent Des—

(Scientist pulls out baseball bat.)

Moderator: Hey, what are you doing?

(Scientist breaks Intelligent Design advocate’s kneecap.)

Intelligent Design advocate: YEAAARRRRGGGHHHH! YOU BROKE MY KNEECAP!

Scientist: Perhaps it only appears that I broke your kneecap. Certainly, all the evidence points to the hypothesis I broke your kneecap. For example, your kneecap is broken; it appears to be a fresh wound; and I am holding a baseball bat, which is spattered with your blood. However, a mere preponderance of evidence doesn’t mean anything. Perhaps your kneecap was designed that way. Certainly, there are some features of the current situation that are inexplicable according to the “naturalistic” explanation you have just advanced, such as the exact contours of the excruciating pain that you are experiencing right now.

Intelligent Design advocate: AAAAH! THE PAIN!

Scientist: Frankly, I personally find it completely implausible that the random actions of a scientist such as myself could cause pain of this particular kind. I have no precise explanation for why I find this hypothesis implausible — it just is. Your knee must have been designed that way!

Intelligent Design advocate: YOU BASTARD! YOU KNOW YOU DID IT!

Scientist: I surely do not. How can we know anything for certain? Frankly, I think we should expose people to all points of view. Furthermore, you should really re-examine whether your hypothesis is scientific at all: the breaking of your kneecap happened in the past, so we can’t rewind and run it over again, like a laboratory experiment. Even if we could, it wouldn’t prove that I broke your kneecap the previous time. Plus, let’s not even get into the fact that the entire universe might have just popped into existence right before I said this sentence, with all the evidence of my alleged kneecap-breaking already pre-formed.

Intelligent Design advocate: That’s a load of bullshit sophistry! Get me a doctor and a lawyer, not necessarily in that order, and we’ll see how that plays in court!

Scientist (turning to audience): And so we see, ladies and gentlemen, when push comes to shove, advocates of Intelligent Design do not actually believe any of the arguments that they profess to believe. When it comes to matters that hit home, they prefer evidence, the scientific method, testable hypotheses, and naturalistic explanations. In fact, they strongly privilege naturalistic explanations over supernatural hocus-pocus or metaphysical wankery. It is only within the reality-distortion field of their ideological crusade that they give credence to the flimsy, ridiculous arguments which we so commonly see on display. I must confess, it kind of felt good, for once, to be the one spouting free-form bullshit; it’s so terribly easy and relaxing, compared to marshaling rigorous arguments backed up by empirical evidence. But I fear that if I were to continue, then it would be habit-forming, and bad for my soul. Therefore, I bid you adieu.

Dunno about ID, but I’m a big fan of IUD.

I am a big fan of ladies not makin’ babies unless at least they and one other person want to pitch in and raise it. I don’t mind if they have them on their own, I am just a fan of teamwork.

There was an article in my morning paper this morning listing the worlds worst jobs, and a Kansas Biology teacher ranked high on the list due to having ID nonsense in the curriculum.

this was along side someone who collects ape urine and faeces, turkey inseminators, work with sewage etc.

Turkey inseminators!?

That is hilarious.