Another Something Awful game week

Yeah, yeah, everyone reads it anyway, but it’s fucking funny. I like Shoe Bomberman:

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1835&p=6

I didn’t get Shoe Bomberman. What game was that from?

OJ Pro-Am was nice, though.

Errr… Bomberman.

Yeah, I got that part. Maybe I’m just missing the joke. Did someone bomb a shoe recently?

Richard Reid? The guy who tried to set his explosive-laden shoes on fire during an overseas flight a couple of months after 9/11/01?

You probably never heard about it. There was very little news coverage.

Nope, hadn’t heard about that. Thanks.

The river city ransom interpretation of the Lincoln assassination is like, totally the greatest thing ever.

I can’t tell if you’re yanking my chain here, or if you just aren’t a consumer of the news media. (Or late-night talk shows, or SNL, or any of the other venues where they spend about six months making fun of this guy.)

You heard about the World Trade Center thing, right?

[cue classic SNL skit]

No, what about the World Trade Center?

I really didn’t pay attention to the news after all of that stuff happened. I just got Spoofychop to tell me about it on the way to the cafeteria. Sounds pretty lame, glad I was playing video games instead.

I can’t tell if you’re yanking my chain here, or if you just aren’t a consumer of the news media. (Or late-night talk shows, or SNL, or any of the other venues where they spend about six months making fun of this guy.)

You heard about the World Trade Center thing, right?[/quote]

I didn’t know about the shoe bomber.

I dimly remember an egyptian guy getting busted for doing something at an airport recently… other than that i can’t think of any post-9/11 “scares”.

disclosure: i don’t have cable TV, and i get my news from salon, slashdot, and qt3.

disclosure: i don’t have cable TV, and i get my news from salon, slashdot, and qt3.

“News?” Oh, shit.

–scharmers

May I suggest reading a news site, and not just an opinion site, a troll forum for nerds, and a place where people talk about games.

We all know that the Politics & Religion forum and the Everything Else forum are here just so the inevitable non-gaming discussions are in a nice ghetto so that those that just don’t want to hear the ramblings of a bunch of gamers can easily avoid it.

Sometimes I watch the Daily Show.

Hey, while we’re at it, what’s with France and the warm weather?

This makes one wonder: would a world completely full of people with the same apathy and obliviousness to real life events be better or worse?

It’s my experience that you never run into a person that’s been a gamer all their life who claims they’re bored. Growing up, I’d have friends that hated the summer break because they had nothing to do. I’ve never even contemplated having nothing to do. There’s always a game I wanted to play, or as a bonafied nerd, something computer related I wanted to tackle.

This is sad, of course, that I’m kept in a constant state of distraction and that I’ll never better mankind, but… I’m apathetic and oblivious, after all.

Er, point is: gamer = always occupied. Not many other hobbies match it in terms of how easily it can consume your free time. And people with too much time on their hands are usually a nuisance. Some go into politics and fuck everyone’s life up. If they’re dumb, they’ll probably get depressed and help feed the medical industry by popping pills. Religion keeps the rest in check by setting some goals for those seeking a cure from despair and boredom, although that can also backfire (see: war).

I dimly remember an egyptian guy getting busted for doing something at an airport recently… other than that i can’t think of any post-9/11 “scares”.

just curious. do you remember the plane that crashed in new york a month after 9/11. you know, the one that had nothing to do with terrorism?

don’t think i knew about that one, either. refresh my memory?

xpav: sorry, i meant “current events” and not “news”. i realize that salon is an editorial site, and i enjoy reading it, especially because it runs writers of many different political leanings.

what would be my motivation to read CNN/NYT/BBC on a daily basis?

i’m not saying i trust /., qt3, and salon to keep me abreast of world events, i’m saying those are the major sources that i actually get current events from. not sure if i explained that right, but… i don’t really go looking for “real” news to consume on a daily basis. i prefer amusing editorials, IT stuff, and games.

another question:

is keeping track of the doings of heads of state any more useful to someone than reading the “society” pages?

I prefer the ‘lone gunman’ theory.