Another SWAT team abuse. Are we fed up yet?

NO U!

Suddenly police aren’t ZOMG FASCISTS anymore? Don’t make me dig up the Taser thread.

I think this is more likely a case of “I knew AHEAD OF TIME that he wasn’t going to be cooperative, therefore I feel justified by pre-emptively deploying the SWAT team to kick in his door”

Now we’ve got the SWAT team kicking in the door?

And suddenly, even Shiflett’s own apparent acknowledgement that he spoke with the deputies is tossed out? I understand there may be some question as to what exactly was the content of the discussion between Shiflett and the deputies, but I don’t see why you’re erasing that conversation altogether.

If you’re looking for ZOMG FASCISTS, I’m probably not your best bet. Also, I’d recommend some speculation about Taser usage.

Don’t take my children at gunpoint, bro.

Rollory knows that when the police force can’t maintain the high moral standards he demands, it’s time to fall back on the Klan.

Yes? What do you think a SWAT team does? Knock first?

I’m not erasing that conversation or saying it didn’t happen. But to go from ‘We’d like to you bring your kid in to the hospital for a bruise, which is probably a huge hassle for you not to mention expensive if you don’t have healthcare insurance and by the way do it now or we’re reprimanding you to the CPS (no thanks, he’s fine, now get the fuck off my property)’ to ‘POLICE-GO-GO-GO-GET YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM, MOTHERFUCKER!!!’ doesn’t strike me prudent use of force.

Yes, really. Bombing a country, rolling tanks through the streets, allowing non-stop looting and the formation of violent militias, all the while torturing prisoners at Abu Ghraib is EXACTLY like taking a kid to the hospital to make sure he’s okay, even against the wishes of his crazy dad and his “medical training.” It’s a perfect analogy, you’re a genius, this thread is OVER.

Maybe you should try comparing me to Hitler.

Was he a genius like you?

Next, compare me to Ghandi.

Thread title is fairly accurate, and I don’t want to start another thread. Hence, WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE!

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090201/ap_on_hi_te/tec911_swatting

Long story short, pranksters are now taking advantage of the militarization of the police by spoofing their caller ID to appear as being somewhere else, and putting in false 911 calls to get innocent folks arrested for kicks or revenge.

So in this case, the abusing is not by the police (the article’s examples of the types of calls made could warrant SWAT response it seems) but by civilians.

Money quote: "Jason Trowbridge, one of the defendants currently serving a five-year sentence, told the AP in a series of letters from prison that the attacks started with the standard fare of prank callers — sending pizzas and locksmiths to victims’ homes — escalated to shutting the power and water off and eventually led to swatting.

Nobody ever thought anyone would get hurt or die from a SWAT call,” he said."

What the hell is wrong with this guy?

No one ever thought a team of barely trained keystone cops running around with full auto weapons and breaking into homes would hurt anyone!

See also, the incredibly sad case of Ryan Frederick.

SWAT Teams that aren’t operating under stealth procedure are supposed to announce their intent upon entering.

Plus, who the fuck mistakes the sound of “BREECH!” as someone just invading his house?

Also to the before mentioned case: They were justified in bringing the SWAT team in; the man resisted police measures, potentially endangered a child (If my kid was fucking around with a car i’d bring them to a hospital as well, he could have had a concussion or worse; better safe than sorry), and was threatening (Vulgarity is considered a threat to Police) officers. If he had ‘negotiated’ as Anti-Bunny is advocating, he’d’ve spoke in clear tones.

You don’t tell off cops, they are the law, and can fuck your day up (As seen). If he had been cool calm and collected and just let the paramedics check his kid out, this entire thing could’ve been avoided.

Do we have to keep repeating that being a dick to a cop shouldn’t get you shot?

The only way I could see that as being funny is if you were sending the SWAT teams to other police stations. I think that’d be hilarious. But otherwise, not funny.

Except, if you had read the article, it turns out the kid had some bruises and nothing more, so the parent was right.

Plus, who the fuck mistakes the sound of “BREECH!” as someone just invading his house?

That’s a really weird argument… I would think it’s more proper to shout ‘POLICE SEARCH WARRANT’, but even then, that is not a magic phrase that only police are capable of pronouncing, and if they are shouting it in the middle of the night before breaking down your door, good luck understanding from the bedroom as it wakes you up.

I thought Phil was a conservative?

The SWAT team taking the kid was probably a bit over the top.

Sorry, did the paramedics force themselves in because the dad wouldn’t let them see the kid?

Pretty much. The father was medically trained and wasn’t interested in help with a few bruises. Call the SWAT team!

By the way, this sheriff (original one from Rollory’s story) is apparently a real piece of work…