Another system building thread - questions inside

Have you tried overclocking your 2.8 yet? I’d be very interested in hearing how high it went, as well as what week (and where) it was made. The production numbers on the box will tell you… look for a line beginning with either L3 or 33.

I received a 2.4C from Newegg this week, and it ended up being a week 18 Malaysia. It runs rock solid at default voltage at 3 gigahertz (possibly higher), and goes all the way up to 3.6gig (possibly higher) with slightly goosed voltage on my DFI 875 board; so far the only limit I’ve hit is my RAM. I’m pretty happy with both Newegg and Intel right now. Less so with my Kingston HyperX memory (bought using the terrific Planetside coupon), but they seem to have really great customer service, and are sending me some faster RAM to try.

Apparently, I have not even begun upon the path, for I don’t even know what that means. :?

No, I’m not really interested in dealing with overclocking. That’s why I went with the 2.8C rather than going the route that you did.

I like this new system though. Once I got XP installed, everything has gone smoothly. Forgotten Battles looks incredible. My old system (XP 2100+, 1GB RAM, GF3 Ti200) was making 50 FPS in cockpit at 1024x768x32 with moderate detail settings. There were also significant slowdowns when firing or zooming to the gunsight view. My new system makes over 100 FPS at the same resolution with Excellent detail settings, and Perfect will often run over 30 FPS when I’m on the deck. Now I’m trying to decide what the right combination of resolution, AA and AF settings are for me. I did notice that when I move the view around very quickly, the cockpit struts look funny, like they get sheared sideways a little. Other than that though, it looks great.

The Sonata case looks great, but is a bit hard to work on, especially with the way the new Abit boards have their IDE connectors placed sideways on the edge of the board. There’s barely enough room between them and the drive bays to plug the cables in. This is a great “set it and forget it” type case, but isn’t very good for constant swapping of components. The smaller size of Serial ATA cables is great, but I think there’s room for improvement due to the way they seem to fit rather loosely.

Overall, this system seems a little quieter than my previous one. If nothing else, the tone of the sound coming out is much less annoying.

[Edit] BTW Sean, that RefreshForce utility was exactly what I was looking for in a KISS refresh rate utility. Thanks!