Another terrorist attack

Explosion in Brussels train station.

While us USA folks are wrapped up in our own problems

Sounds like they got them. Spanish police killed four suspects, and have the vehicle that was used in the attack earlier today.

So it sounds like that was a second attack that was mainly thwarted by one cop. The driver of the van is still in the loose, but they’ve released the suspect’s name and all of europe is hunting him.

What this is also sounding like is that this was a cell that was planning something bigger. But there was an explosion two days ago that is linked to all this. Probably their bombmaker blew himself up by accident, and they were spurred into action before the security services could figure it out.

Cities are going to unfortunately have to make changes to their roadways and public squares to combat these sorts of attacks. We’re going to have to spend a ton of money to make it harder to drive onto sidewalks and into meeting areas.

Jersey barriers aren’t that expensive.

Look at the design of modern federal buildings, they have barriers (such as concrete benches) that are designed to keep vehicles at a distance, a lesson after OKC.

Still, I’m not sure that’s feasible on a city-wide scale without massive amounts of money and construction. And to top it off, terorists will simply look for the next softest target. It may be faster and easier to simply wait for he driverless revolution.

That was what immediately came to my mind to Mono’s post. Of course, that will likely just cause its own unique and unforeseen issues…

Honestly, we’re kind of lucky it took them this long to find this softer target. On the optimistic side, this suggests to me that if ISIS is indeed on the decline, this current pace of attacks may abate for a while.

I like your optimism, but I also wonder if this is similar to how some people describe the state of the White Supremacist movement in the US - in its death throws, thrashing wildly at anything within reach.

Oh, I’m not suggesting the threat is in its death throes, just that we may have a bit of breathing space for a few years (probably not yet, but maybe in a couple years) before the next group comes along that can motive attackers and have a suitable attack vector.

Sorry, but this is such bullshit…

A cell got through police controls. It’s tragic, but really not that big of a deal in the big scheme of things, and definitely not something that changes the playing ground at all.

This guy is claiming authorities are doing nothing to curb radical Islam. Hello??? What’s the proposal here? What else should be done?

Police oversight has been pretty exemplary so far with many potential terrorists caught prematurely and a healthy non-radical Islamic community that readily condemns extremism. Yesterday’s tragedy changes nothing, except for the victims and their families.

Europe is shifting to becoming no place for Jews. Anti-Semitism is rapidly becoming institutionalised and systematic across the political left and not just present in the far right. The UK Labour Party is beyond redemption now, its anti-Semitic up to its leadership and across the left senior politicians are openly allied with Islamists under the disguise of “anti-Zionism”. The Barcelona Rabbi is only repeating what Jewish leaders are saying in the UK, France and other countries. In places like Sweden Jewish communities have been fully cleansed, Malmo no longer has any notable community, all have left under threats from the protected Islamist communities and politicians.

Captassin? since “Hashish users” was already taken.

Battledrugs are very sci-fi

🎥 Picard Facepalm - YouTube

Sandwiched between the far right, Islamists and hard left, who can blame them.

I was thinking more Blitzkrieg.