Another "What was that film?" thread

I’m usually pretty good at identifying those weird films I remember from years ago, but my forays into imdb, wiki, and general google searches are failing me this time.

It’s a sci-fi film, from the 70s or early 80s. Plot revolves around a space station where the members of the crew are vanishing into thin air.
I remember it dealing with paranoia and maybe being a bit sureal. I’m pretty sure it’s not Solyaris, as I remember it only being about the members disappearing from the station, and not any halucinations or manifestations of dead people etc.

Event Horizon? It’s not from the 70s or 80s, but is exactly what it sounds like you’re looking for.

Edit: Oh, no halucinations or manifestations of dead people. It’s not Event Horizon then.

It probably wasn’t Silent Running, was it?

Help us out, forge. Do you recall any specific scenes, or bits of dialogue, or actors?

It’s not Silent Running or Event Horizon. I believe the main character was female. I saw this way back when on either WPIX, channel 56 Creature Feature, or Commander USA. I remember I kept waiting for monsters/aliens to show up but they never did, it was kind of out of character for what was typically shown during those movie slots. It also totally creeped me out at the time. It was pretty slow paced. My memory is pretty hazy on a lot of the details because I saw it so long ago, the thing that I’m pretty sure on is that characters kept disappearing without a trace. I’m pretty sure there’s a scene towards the end of all the rooms/hallways being empty while this weird tone plays in the back ground.

long shot guess: the star trek: tng episode where dr. crusher is on the enterprise and people keep disappearing?

Was it a spacey station underwater? There was a terrible movie I saw which basically had the same premise…underwater. People kept dissapearing except for a black woman who got eaten by jellyfish? hmm…black people always get eaten.

That sounds like Sphere.

Wow. I thought about making that joke, but thought that not only would it be unhelpful, no one would get it. Static Warp Bubble for the win.

“There’s nothing wrong with me, there must be something wrong with the universe.”

That wouldn’t be Alien by any chance?

Could you have dreamt it by any chance? From time to time I’ve had some weird and exciting dreams that would have made for cool yet highly confusing SF or horror movies.

Check with Rotten Tomatoes, or some other review site. It’s bound to be somewhere.

Yeah, I’ve seen it. It’s a 70’s low-budget job. The soundtrack is mostly like slowed down piano strings being hit. Very, very annoying for the first ten minutes, and then they sort of accentuate the creepy atmosphere.

Pweeeeeooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

Bwooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg!
(echoes)

It is as he describes and it makes no fucking sense whatsoever for about two hours. Then it all falls together in the last two minutes and you think, “hey not so bad.”

Let me see if I can find it.

Warp Speed

It was pretty hard to find, made more difficult by the fact that IMDB doesn’t index their comments!

You can buy it here for 20 bucks. I don’t know if it’s on VHS or DVD (both copies, btw, so this might not be actually legal). It’s a weird site, for sure. It has a Lynda Carter section…

And Adam West is in it! Freaky.

That’s it bloo, thanks. I was starting to wonder if I had dreamt the whole thing.

So, I’m not going to buy this but won’t sleep untill I know why the crew dissapeared. Spoil it for me, you two.

No worries dude. It’s good to know that all those nights I spent in my twenties watching shit on late-night tv have finally paid off. I had people accusing me once of making up The Devil Came From Akasava, so I know what it’s like :)

–spoilers–

Hanzii, because you will never see this (be warned my memory is extremely fucking hazy on this one), the movie had this middle-aged woman wandering around a spaceship with this disembodied voice asking her questions. She sees people who don’t see her, all the time the freaky soundtrack runs virtual fingers down a blackboard. We had no idea what was going on (as we had missed the start) and eventually pieced it all together right near the end. She was a psychic wandering around the dead spaceship watching the psycho crew member murder everyone. Eventually, he kills the last person while she watches unable to help. Then he looks right at her, says, “what are you doing here?” and murdalises her too.

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooooooow!

Bonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg gggggggg!

When I use that weird site, orange bars appear while scrolling. Very odd and disorienting. I think it made me sick.

What’s weird about that?!

She was a psychic wandering around the dead spaceship watching the psycho crew member murder everyone.

Reminds me of System Shock 2 :)

That site brought this to my attention:

Weasels Rip My Flesh (1979) $20.00
Returning from the planet Venus, an errant NASA spacecraft crashes into the ocean, spilling its radioactive cargo. Enveloped by a radioactive mass, a rabid weasel is transformed into a gigantic killer mutant. Prowling the countryside, the huge weasel kills and devours victims. The creature is captured by a disturbed scientist who plans to use its regenerative blood to amass an army of similar monsters, enabling him to conquer the earth.

A must-see.