Anthem - BioWare's take on Destiny

In MHW, you can start with a group, like wait for everyone to be ready, or you can have someone join you in progress. They have kind of a flare system where you can just ask for anyone’s help but it’s basically dragon and drop per session and you do lose some stuff, like credit for the session, if you join too late because all MHW’s quests are timed… Even if you join too late though you can still get stuff.

I don’t like it as much for ongoing groups though. I am going to reference MMOs because they did for anthem. part of the LFG experience was, you found a group, at a spot, it worked well so you decided to just… stayed grouped with people you met that night. I don’t think MHW has a good set-up for that, like at all.

My group often needs bots or randoms for games that require a full group, and it can get frustration when 2 or 3 can’t do it because. We all play together but not always the same games. We’re not a guild so not everyone flows from one game to another.

No PVP, the potential to play along, with other as desired… still sounds super promising to me.

I watched the IGN gameplay video, and there’s potential there but good lord are they mimicking Destiny lore/story stuff. If I closed my eyes I would have thought it was a Destiny expansion of some kind. Shapers, scars, relics, yadda yadda yadda.

Gameplay footage mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRa_gTIDV5s

Seeing those giant numbers display on the screen every time you shoot something is disappointing. Let’s make a gorgeous-looking world and then plaster floating numbers all over the screen.

My excitement level is meh.

I would be very surprised if that’s not the kind of thing you can switch on and off.

If I had a gun to my head right now I would have a hard time describing Destiny’s story so I can’t comment if Anthem is mimicking anything.

I only played the multiplayer beta demo for Destiny, but I’m pretty sure the story is just about some lost astronaut guy finding a bored-sounding monotone robotic cube sidekick in some sort of space junk yard, and they hangs together for a day or so while the astronaut slaughters every alien he finds before finding a Star wars speeder and navigating his way to the stupidest excuse for a hub he’s ever seen, inspiring him to abandon the hub and continue his alien genocide on the moon and stuff, eventually moving on from the alien recruits and burnouts and taking on the likes of ridiculous looking space wizards.

So what you’re saying is any day some studio is going to make a movie about this and after they don’t all the crowds they’re banking on they’ll be like, what’s wrong with the plot. oh was this the one that had a TV show fail?

saw the gameplay video… underwhelming. Too much flying around. Weapons look boring, environments look the same as last years demo. Enemies seems even more boring than ME:A. What is happening at Bioware?!? eh, seems like they are not the same anymore. oh well…time moves on, things change etc.

btw, Destiny was such a tepid game considering Bungie made HALO, but at least it got the shooting right (the biggest saving grace of Destiny). With Anthem that video had very very early 2000 fps feel… it just didn’t look good.

i guess will have to wait 5 more years for the next DA or ME game… wasted licenses.

If Anthem bombs, I don’t think there’s going to be a Bioware around to make those games.

Something silly I thought while watching the video is… they can fly (in fact it’s the coolest part of the game), so why don’t they skip the enemies they found on their way, who are poor fools bounded to the ground? Why are they landing and shooting at them?
I guess the reason is “for that sweet, sweet xp”.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess it is kind of cool if you can completely blow past any combats you don’t really want to deal with?

Is flying not limited by overheating?

I must have overlooked it earlier. This is an online always game, even during solo play, aka you cannot play it offline.

Hmm, I kind of got the impression there would be a lot of great characters to build relationships with, just not romancing. I guess in the base, or whatever?

That’s exactly what they do with one of the bigger creatures in the video. They just fly past it as they don’t want to deal with it.

Hoping to see some uncut footage from the show.

That’s unknown so far, but I would imagine that, this being Bioware, there will be lots of colorful NPC characters. Just none in your party nor to romance.

It’s taken EA somewhat longer than expected to murder Bioware. Forcing them to give up on the sprawling story-driven RPGs everybody wants to build a several-years-too-late Destiny clone may just do the trick.

There’s a lot of equivalency between the gaming industry and the music industry. Signing with EA is the equivalent of getting signed to a major label, and having your new A & R person be some guy that used to own a chain of shoe stores.