Anthem - BioWare's take on Destiny

Aaryn Flynn of BioWare spoke to CBC about Anthem.

[quote]
“It’s in a genre we call science fantasy. Very much like Star Wars, very much like the Marvel Universe where you see a lot of amazing things happening but we don’t worry too much about why they are happening or how they’re happening; the science of it.”

“Mass Effect is a more a real hardcore science-fiction IP [but Anthem] is much more about just having fun in a game world that lush and exotic and really sucks you in.”[/quote]

[quote]
The game is being “built around a live service” and features a heavy emphasis on cooperative play.[/quote]

[quote=“Telefrog, post:61, topic:130158”]
The game is being “built around a live service” [/quote]

This doesn’t usually provide me with a good experience.

This does though.

I have some cartesian idea of game genres that is probably the most wrong thing ever.

Hard to make = Good
Lazy genre where everything that goes is ok = Bad

I imagine Science-Fantasy like some unholy marriage of lazy-science with lazy-fantasy.

So is like super-ungood, robots versus deus ex nanites.

I hope this is merelly a lost-in-translation thing, and what they mean is they want to make Epic Fantasy Fan Fiction with Futuristic Setting Soap Opera ( EFFFFSSO ). Because thats, ridiculous like Star Wars, but acceptable.

Bioware is so desperately trying to step back on Mass Effect.

“See, Anthem isn’t really hardcore sci-fi (LOL WUT) like ME, it is its own cool happy fun science things, totally unlike, you know, Destiny or anything like that, so, like you know, it’s like we took Tribes and… wait, no, that’s not right, it’s like we took The Division and shoved some Star Trek up its ass… or you could call it BF 2142 2, or just reboot that and call it BF 2142…”

You know what, you weaselly fuck Flynn, just come out and say that Bioware couldn’t give a shit about single-player story-based (you know, the old BW DNA) and is now more concerned about properly choking on EA’s corporate meat with yet another MP PvP clusterfuck.

Fuck I hate spin.

Here’s the thing. I enjoyed the hell out of ME:A. And I think given that engine that they’ve now had experience in, and time to make a better overall story for it, I think they could have made a hell of a sequel.

It’s too bad they’ve decided to concentrate on this multiplayer mostly kind of game. Not a chance they get a cent of my money for that.

Yeah Bioware has lost me as a customer after ME:A. They need to prove themselves again, their titles are no longer an automatic buy. With Destiny 2 coming out soon I don’t see this game getting much attention unless it’s amazing. I’m predicting a disappointment, not like a Battleborn level flop but this will under perform.

I can’t fault Bioware for leaning on the multiplayer, it’s clearly where he money is. I mean, not great for me personally but good for Bioware and EA I’m sure.

It’s where EA pointy-haired, shit-factory MBAs hope the money is. I mean, how much milk is still left in that team-based MP teat, even with the “live service” angle? (And oh, if you don’t do your “live service” right, the salt you get … see: The Division) And with Destiny 2 right around the corner… sheesh.

Just look at GTA5. You think people are still spending money on that game because they love the single player?

People have wanted R* to do a MP GTA for decades. There was some sincerely pent-up demand there. And when T2 “encouraged” R* to go all-out on MP, they shrugged their shoulders and put out a bare-bones peer-to-peer mode. Thanks to the slavering hordes of fuckwits out there (who completely missed the broad, obvious irony and satire about them in the SP), GTAV MP took off and made T2 a Scrooge McDuck’s worth of gold-plated latinum.

Arsenel, I think, will not do as well for EA. There are no slavering hordes for Yet Another Destiny, BW’s core audience feels kicked in the balls by the dual blow of the mismanaged ME:A and the RLY? of the new IP not being a story-rich romance wankfest.

Was this at E3?

You know I’m totally with you but the truth is that market is crazy. Just look at DayZ clones, PUBG sold 4 million copies already and it’s the clone number 943146. I wouldn’t be surprised if the overlap between playerbases of Destiny, The Division etc is pretty large.

So who in this thread actually played Destiny?

Not me. I liked what I saw of this when they showed it. I’m not really approaching it as a Bioware game so much as oh that looks like a neat environment to have some fun in with people I know and most the time like.

Raises hand.

I liked the core shooting and movement. It was very Halo.

I dislike just about everything else.

I don’t get the anger here. I mean, OK, it’s the internet and a video-gaming discussion board, but y’know, this is Qt3.

I see that trailer, and I’m excited to goof around in that cool looking word with some friends. I had similarly good times in the Division and Ghost Recon Wildlands. The games weren’t life-changing, but fun to jump in to for a few weeks/months.

ME series and Destiny both bounced off me. I know they have numerous fans. I haven’t liked a Bioware game much since Dragon Age: Origins, so I’m totally fine with any new direction, and Anthem looks pretty neat.

I did! Couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about, but I’m mostly a PC gamer. Maybe that sort of thing was a breath of fresh air in the console space? Just seemed very hum-drum Shooty McShooter to me in the 5+ hours I put into it. Oh, and with abysmally long load times that made me recall Everquest’s spellbook meditating in terms of time wasted.

That mirror’s my sentiments exactly. I got about 20-25 hours out of Destiny just following the main quests solo. It was fine for that and I quit at the point it wanted me to keep re-running the same missions for randomized loot drops, and better gear level, and light levels, and faction reputation, and shader color swaps, and dancing with randos in the Tower.

BioWare once meant NWN. KOTOR. ME. Even DA (which never really thrilled me that much). Before that, BG, IW, PS:T, yadda, yadda, yadda.

It’s like seeing your favorite greasy Sicilian pizza joint run by a shifty looking old weasel, suddenly transformed into a Pan-Asian Vegetarian Locavore bullshit-fest run by 20-ish fuckwits, all complete with gauge-piercings and hipster beards. A blow to the bollocks, you might say.

I empathize, and loved NWN and earlier titles. Sadly this Bioware is only that studio in name. No use getting bent at the new owners; sucks, but look for a new pizza shop.