Anthem - BioWare's take on Destiny

Almost every character is drawn from the BioWare stable.

With that said, when you get the chance, pick Dax. BioWare shows comic moments they haven’t shown before.

Your group must be too far ahead of you, which would display a message. There’s no other reason for a load screen unless transitioning indoors. Play on private or with people that won’t rush ahead.

@Kadath the flight is the single best/most unique thing about the game. It’s so fun, it makes you feel powerful, and it’s intuitive to do. I love playing the game. @Oscuros and I had some pretty nutty fights just on normal earlier. Tense, lots of enemies, having to really think on my feet and time abilities right.

I feel like this is an incredibly solid base to build upon for a long time.

@instant0 there is some feedback when adding someone to the squad (I hadn’t realized it either). It adds a plus sign when you add them. It changes to a star when they accept.

So, completed the main mission. End part was ok-ish… but it seems like it skipped parts of it, or it was very poorly implemented. The 2 second timer after you complete some missions means you can not even loot stuff, so I am wondering if all the stuff left behind from when baddie died was lost or if you get it regardless of picking it up or not.

Guess will have to try playing a mission and get a drop then letting it stay unpicked.

Gotten two masterwork weapons, both of which were for weapon types I had never used before…

Interesting that the story missions have you sometimes start with your team mates so far ahead of you that you upon loading… immediately get a second loading screen.

@Oscuros

Also, just a warning, there’s apparently a bug with quickplay that can put you into missions you haven’t done yet.

Heard on Discord yesterday you can do the end-mission at level 3 through quickplay.

Is it really so bad as these impressions convey?

“This game is so much worse than i expected it to be, many many technical issues aside. Entirety of games content can be completed in less than 12 hours, and after that its just doing same missions over and over. SAME THREE MISSIONS, one of which has a generic enemy made into a boss, and the other is literally last mission of the game on repeat. To achive end game rewards you need… to do same missions 100 times. For that you get a decal and a 4000 coins - and one skin set costs like 60k coins. There’s less content in here than in Destiny 1 on release day.”

https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1097001581160017920

https://twitter.com/JeremyPenter/status/1097167017142931456

Called this…like a hundred times over the last few months.

Anyone with even basic experience with loot shooters and latest Bioware games should’ve seen this coming.

No, it’s not as bad as those impressions convey.

I liked a few of the characters and it was ~20 hours before I finished the main story line. I imagine it can be much shorter if you just power through the main quest and ignore all dialog/cutscenes.

The same mission argument can be made against any looter shooter out there…that’s what “end game” is in these things.

Quantity is one thing that can be fixed but Bioware went and turned the word generic into a game.

It’s over.

I think that statements are vastly blown out of proportion but what do I know. I don’t rush my way through games as fast as possible and then whine about not existing end game. I have a ton of fun right now and love the world and like a lot of the NPCs. If it’s only 12 hours of story content then that’s OK with me. But I will agree that then it should not have been a full price game with mtx.

At 15 bucks I more than got my money worth. I feel like I can easily ride this out until Division 2.

I can even see myself coming back if they smooth all the issues out and I’ll happily pay full price at that time.

I already knew this game was gonna be ‘light’ on content, but it isn’t too bad and it can be made very good ala Warframe/Division. Warframe/Divison release were similar in content, though Division had much more varied replayable missions. Ironically this game makes me want to replay the other Bioware MP games like MEA and DA3… both which have MUCH MORE tiered mp content (even discounting the solo campaigns!) but don’t have you go thru the overworld map and so many screens.

Yeah I didn’t pay much attention to online discussion of this game for the first few days and I’m kind of surprised at how negative some people are. Walking around town is a bit of a chore but there are a few characters I enjoy and I’m really having a great time with the flying around fighting stuff parts. I’ve spent all but one mission playing as Interceptor and I’m looking forward to jumping back in tonight.

Also I’m kinda fine with games that don’t have to become like a lifestyle choice. If I get a solid 20 hours out of this and then come back every couple months for some content updates I’m good with that.

I don’t think so… You can, for instance, play lots of old missions, not just 3.

Also, the main thing you’re doing after you complete the main story is completion of contracts, not replaying the last mission. i’m not exactly sure what that guy is talking about.

Part of the issue that I’ve noticed, from watching some streams on twitch, is that a lot of folks who are complaining literally don’t understand how the game works. And I’m not saying this in a 'L2P, nub" way, but as in they literally don’t understand basic mechanics, or how to do much of the game’s main gameplay loop.

For instance, I watched some guy bitch non-stop while playing an interceptor… but he basically was playing it as a long range sniper, and never using his skills. And while you CAN play it like that, it’s effectively negating any of the class utility. He never generated any combos at all.

In this way, it’s very similar to what we saw back in Mass Effect. You could play Mass Effect as a generic third person shooter, and it was fine… but if you played it as intended, and used the whole team to generate combos and stuff, then the game was dramatically better. But Bioware never explained ANYTHING about how the game worked. From what I’ve seen of Anthem, it’s exactly the same thing… they just never explain anything. It’s up to you to figure it out.

I don’t know why they do this, but this isn’t the first time they’ve done it.

This makes me sad. I will often go entire missions without firing a shot. Interceptor is so good. Can’t wait to flip out and kill a whole town with real ultimate power.

For anyone who is playing an interceptor, please keep this in mind:
YOU DO NOT NEED DETONATORS.

You should be playing in melee range virtually the entire time with an interceptor, so you can dedicate your skills to primers, since any normal melee attack with detonate a combo.

So you can just use your skills to prime targets (I like the venom grenade, or the detonating strike), and then just punch those dudes in the face to detonate a combo and get an aura.

The detonating strike is especially nice, since it applies an electric effect, which causes damage to chain to nearby enemies… and then when you punch them, it detonates the combo, gives you an aura, and the effect of the detonating strike is that when that guy dies (which he generally always does after the combo), it does a large AOE effect… and the electric effect causes the main chunk of damage you are doing with the combo to chain to nearby enemies too, which just turns the whole thing into a crazy huge AOE explosion of death.

Also:
Another thing that is never explained by anything anywhere… The Ranger’s melee attack is actually an electric primer.

This is typical of MMO releases in many ways – it’s short on content, it has technical problems, and a fair bit of the stuff you expect to be there isn’t, not yet. This is just how most games arrive now.

The core gameplay is great. Combat is top-notch. It looks, sounds and feels like an ironman/ mini-mech/ superhero sci-fi game. Exploration is also fantastic. The flight models are fun (and they’re different for different javelins). The world is huge, beautiful and rewards those who find the nooks and crannies with loot and lore.

It’s still “games as a service,” though, which means in part that they launched without the whole thing done. There’s more content than some of these reviewers are saying, but it’s not exactly WoW or EQ. At endgame, there are three strongholds (long dungeons, more difficult with better rewards), contracts (missions in the open world) and repeating old missions, all of which can be done at multiple difficulty levels. But those who drill through the critical path (in order to review it, or as a matter of habit) will find they’re in that endgame in three days of play.

The worse bit is the missing communication tools. There’s no text chat, and the one common area (Launch Bays) doesn’t allow VOIP. Nor does Freeplay. In all the spaces you expect to meet and make new friends, there is no way to talk. On missions, you’ll find (on PC) that 80% of the population has VOIP toggled off. For a game that wants us to build a community and play with each other, they make it awfully hard to do so. If you don’t bring your own friends, it’ll be mostly like playing with bots.

Bioware has promised to fix damn near everything. There’s a huge patch coming on the official release, four days away, that should deal with most of the technical issues. The future of this game will be determined by how well and how quickly they patch the content/ feature gaps. And isn’t this usually the case with AAA MP games now?

I’m choosing to trust them, for better or worse, because I really like the core gameplay. Also, it’s still (mostly) Bioware.

This has been my thought as well. There are so many issues here that remind me of things that I saw in the early days of WoW or almost any of the expansions. If you’re interested in the core gameplay, but not in being a guinea pig, then your best bet is to wait for a few patches.

One of the important things we’re going to need to see in the next few weeks is just how quickly Bioware is willing to push out fixes for things. So far, they seem really slow to do so. The demo builds were 6 weeks old. They’ve got fixes for known issues coming out in the day 1 patch, but aren’t willing to move that patch up to help those in early access.

It seems like they’ve being very cautious and deliberate with their patch schedule, and that means fixes for issues found in early access (that they weren’t aware of from prior testing) may be a while in coming, especially if they’ve already started to lock in the upcoming content event patches. I would rather they hold off on the events until some of the more serious issues have been corrected, but they’ve committed to them already.

One thing to keep in mind here:
This is exactly what Destiny 1 was like… Actually, Destiny 1 had far less content. It technically had the vault of glass, but they had implemented such a poor, non-existent matchmaking scheme as to make that content inaccessible to tons of casual players. And when you did access it as a casual player, you basically felt like you were just being dragged through it, constantly in fear of fucking stuff up for the team.

And yet… we played the CRAP out of Destiny. Even though that was basically just playing the same missions over and over and over and over again.

Meant to add to this as well…I’ve seen enough improved between the demo and the early access version to update my original stance, where I was going to likely wait for a month or so before buying the full game, to buying it this week (once I figure out which store). I really enjoy the core gameplay, and I will be going slow enough that the bugs can mostly be tolerated. I’m going to adopt the tactic of playing story missions solo once, and then occasionally spending some time in quickplay for a group fix. I’m still a bit concerned about quickplay because there’s some serious issues with it (the getting put into non-completed missions as mentioned above, and frequently getting put into bugged expeditions that can’t be completed), but hopefully those are at the top of the fix list.

Storm makes this approach kind of challenging, as it’s harder to solo in. I spend a lot of time picking things off at range and ducking into cover waiting for shields/abilities to recharge. But I’m not far from level 8, so I can switch to a Colossus for solo/story and Storm for quickplay group fun. The other nice thing about that is that it will help me keep them both geared.