Anthem - BioWare's take on Destiny

Holy crap! Now I don’t feel quite so bad about having to wait until release day to play.

Awesome change list

Endgame talk:

My spies say that GM1 will be incredible hard and unfair until you find some good gear. At that point GM1 will feel like normal. Some gear upgrade your character with considerable advantages you don’t start with. GM1 and GM2 are similar difficulty (says the spies). GM3 is another huge spike of difficulty.

The important point here is if you get flatten by your first visit to GM1, have hope. You are going to get some gear soon that will change that part of the game for you.

Storm mostly now, just because I dont have to rely on the guns.

Kind of funny, I really dug playing the Colossus just because it’s all guns all the time. But then I usually played a soldier in the Mass Effect games. Just give me all the guns, dammit!

Heh, for me Colossus is much closer to all melee all the time.

Anthem is going to be another game like FO76 and Crackdown where I’m glad I played the thing before being told over and over up what a trainwreck and colossal fuckup of a game it is. And hell, I loathe EA and dislike Bioware, I was predisposed to not liking this.

I love Bioware, and this is the first mainline game of theirs that I haven’t purchased on launch day. Even if it’s a good Destiny clone (and it seems like it isn’t), I didn’t enjoy Destiny.

Gunplay in normal mode is ok-ish, because you can kill stuff fairly quickly.
Anything above it, and they become bullet sinks.
Even worse than Division was imo.

But then again, endgame is all about skill synergies I think, and guns will be mostly useless except for one or two exotics with buffs.

Patch notes:

• Loot now properly drops for players who are downed – most important fix.

My experience is that GM1 never ever feels like normal, I’m at 470 gear score now and it still feels like GM1.

Course: With better rolls on my weapons, maybe it would feel different.
or if I L2P.

One of the announced changes will possibly address this.

It looks like they are reducing the shields on enemies, and it’s the Shields which make many enemies extra spongy, since you can’t apply effects when a target has shields, which means you can’t prime combos.

If they reduce the shields, that should make it easier to prime combos, which should make things die faster.

FWIW, I think this game is a hell of a lot more fun than Destiny 2. Haven’t played the first.

I agree. Destiny 2 was a chore to play for me personally. I enjoyed what little I played of Anthem.

I kept getting matched into all Storm teams and regretted my initial choice. Went for Collosus for my second lancer.

Have you made it to the doors yet?

In their attempts to make destiny 2 into a viable MLG competition platform, Bungie seemed to actively remove things that made the original fun. The PvP in destiny 2 was boring and lame.

Although one of the primary elements of fun in the original was essentially a never-ending fight between the players and the developers.

The developers seemed obsessed with trying to force players to play how the developers wanted, despite players clearly not wanting to do that. Players kept finding ways around what the developers did, and then the developers would patch it.

Things like nightfall were often entirely impossible to do legitimately, and effectively required any “normal” player to resort to ridiculous cheese to beat them.

But somehow this was fun… Figuring out how to cheese the missions and then doing these absurd things with your buddies was amusing… Like having everyone hiding under the platform to fight the boss fallen guy from the prison of elders, sometimes dying anyway as some random stray shot would one-shot you… It was absurd and hilarious.

Yes. Didn’t take very long to get that stuff done. About an hour, maybe? Oscuros and I did it together and had fun in the process doing missions and such in free roam.

Having said that, they are going to start tracking those goals at level 3, so more of it will already be done when you get to that point.

The one thing that was tricky was multi-kills, since the game doesn’t define them. I guess revives were a bit annoying too, but NPCs sentinels count toward that. The one other potential annoyance is chests, but those will also count for everyone in the squad within a radius, starting Friday.

Just did a bossfight on GM1 in a stronghold. The one Datto also talked about in his video.

Yup, stupid oneshots several times, one took out 3 of us near the same time.

End loot: Two purples and a green, i.e. trash.

Cant imagine doing this on GM2 or higher.

Will see after patch though.

Seems like they already done some ‘tweaking’ as the difficulty modes no longer have % for increased loot chance, also seems like the drop chance I had the past few days has plumethed… good thing I managed to farm a few Masterwork pieces before.

Not really, plenty of people say the combat is outright bad. For example:

(the section on Anthem)

It’s a 2 hour and 36 minute video, you got a timestamp? Cuz no way in hell am I listening to mouthbreathers for two and a half hours.

Don’t worry. Mike Ybarra of Xbox is ready to defend Anthem.

It’s pretty bad to review a game without an understanding of basic mechanics.