Anthrax at Priest Feast

Anthrax were awesome. Absolutely the best they’ve ever been. I started a mosh up on the woossy loge seating I had got and thoroughly embarrassed my 16 year old and frightened some of the older ladies. Scott Ian is without doubt one of the finest guitarists in rock today.

I’m sorry to say that they thoroughly outclassed Rob Zombie and Judas Priest. RobZ was phoning this one in (and didn’t play Black Sunshine bah) and Rob Halford was unable to hit any of the high notes, and substituted hoarse screaming instead - he also moved around stage like he needed a walker frame. Even so, The Priest were still pretty fucking good - and the new stuff was made to be seen live.

Moment of the night was when the guy with MI-13 gang tattoos in front of me accidentally set fire to his (I’m guessing beer soaked) jeans when trying to wave his lighter around to Diamonds and Rust.

Saw rock’s biggest asshole too - Gene Simmons came on at the start for “Gene Simmons’ Rock School” and had some teenagers from Britain play something terrible for the VH1 cameras. How cool is that though, to open for Anthrax and Priest in L.A.?

I saw Anthrax with Belladonna singing at the Gigantour date here in Seattle. Those guys blew every other band that night off the stage.

heh, what a funny image…

“uhh, dad, can you quit moshing? you just knocked some woman out of her walker.”

I miss John Bush Anthrax.

Does Belladonna sing any of the Bush stuff?

Why’d they ditch Belladonna in the first place?

From what I understand, John Bush Anthrax may still exist as a separate incarnation of the band. Scott Ian has taken pains to say that Bush and Caggiano are not officially gone, but we’ll see. I have a hard time imagining them writing new material with Belladonna.

I’m not sure, but I believe that Belladonna was originally replaced in 1992 to give the band a less 80’s, more “serious” sound…probably a response to the rise of grunge and the commercial near-death of metal in the early 90’s.

So… basically a cold marketing decision?

The main reason I like Bush over Belladonna is because they just sounded better. I’m not necessarily a fan of angry; in fact, I grow weary of it. If I could have Belladonna personality with Bush skills, that would be perfect. (Yes, I’ve got “The Greater of Two Evils” in my iTMS shopping cart and just haven’t bought it yet.)

Sound of White Noise is one of the great rock albums of the 90’s.

And “Poison My Eyes,” off of the Last Action Hero Soundtrack, is even better.

Priest has been on tour non-stop for awhile now. It’s not surprising to hear that Rob may be suffering from a tired voice.

Plus he’s like a hundred years old. :)

Plus he’s like a hundred years old. :)[/quote]

I heard he was in top form during the stop in Vegas (with Queensryche). Reviews mentioned that he hit all the notes and had plenty of energy. I suppose he needed to pace himself.

Or maybe he was fighting a cold or something…even if you’ve got pipes of steel like Rob, the voice is an awfully fragile instrument.

In the lower reaches, Rob was great. Painkiller was awesome, as was all the new material. He was obviously losing his voice though. Ho hum, teach me to wait to the end of the tour ;-). I would have liked to hear Green Manaleshi too, but you can’t have everything.

Joey Belladonna, who in the eighties I thought was the worse voice in metal, I now have much more respect for. I definitely prefer him to the other Anthrax vocalist.

I heard he was in top form during the stop in Vegas (with Queensryche). Reviews mentioned that he hit all the notes and had plenty of energy. I suppose he needed to pace himself.[/quote]

He was (but even then, Geoff Tate blew him off the stage. Geoff Tate rulz).

I heard he was in top form during the stop in Vegas (with Queensryche). Reviews mentioned that he hit all the notes and had plenty of energy. I suppose he needed to pace himself.[/quote]

He was (but even then, [i][u]Geoff Tate blew him off the stage[/u][/i]. Geoff Tate rulz).[/quote]

OOH LA LA!!