Anti-whaling guys unveil stealth bomber style boat

See one of the latest South Park episodes for extreme Whale Wars satisfaction.
Also, I imagine with an arse boat “ramming speed” takes on a whole new meaning.

I suspect my head would explode from the sheer awesomeness.

You guys realize that they’ll bring it along and it’ll just probably break, so Whale Wars will have scenes of idiots trying to fix a boat.

Just what the show needed, an edgy new boat to appeal to younger viewers. It’s like when they added Scrappy to the cast of Scooby-Doo.

Thank you, gentlemen - once again, Qt3 delivers.

Any chance those floaty-thingies on the sides hide torpedoes? Or is possibly a Transformer? Because that would probably be the only way that thing would do any good.

Whatever, I totally want that boat. It looks badass.

No, you are correct, catamarans are by default awesome, and this one is no different.

But the boat will break down, by virtue of being a boat, and there’s no way they will have the forethought to bring an engineer and spare parts.

It’s a trimaran.

It’s a Batboat.

Sure. But technically it’s a trimaran Batboat.

whatever, multihulls in general are cool.

Hahaha, what an awesome way to start the decade.

Some videos from youtube, because the video KK posted I can’t seem to load (Aus only?):

Japanese video of the collision:

Another viewpoint, from a 3rd ship:

Ady Gil being annoying with a laser pointer (IMMA BURN YUR EYES W/ MAH LAZER!!!)

Ady Gil shooting some kinda pingpong thing at the Japanese ship:

Ady Gil dropping nets to cripple the whaling ship prop:

From the Japanese perspective it looks pretty clear the super-stealth ship wasn’t moving until the last minute when it lunged in front of the whalers. The other view makes it look like the whaling ship did try to turn away at the last minute when that happened. I’m guessing planned/staged by the Sea Shepards. That or sheer incompetence of the trimaran’s crew.

Yeah. It really does look like the batboat moved itself in front of the whaler.

It is entirely possible after a few weeks of laser pointers and pingpong balls, they thought it was going nowhere and there was only one sure way to get some really good PR…

On the other hand, incompetence seems more likely.

Are you guys watching a different video? The Ady Gill is sitting stationary in the water. The Japanese vessel turns sharply and aims for the Ady Gill, which tries to get out of the way the only way a stationary boat can - by starting to move forward - and gets crunched.

It looks like the whalers are going for a close pass with their turn, but it would not have been a collision had the trimaran not surged forward at the last minute. Not knowing the speed and heading of the boat from which that second video was shot is an issue.

Uh-oh! Better get MAACO!

I’ve seen the pictures - sliced in half isn’t much of an exaggeration.

Again, I’m baffled that you guys don’t think the ship was aiming for the Ady Gill. It seems very clear from that Youtube link that they initially made a sharp turn and aimed straight for the boat, and only turned in the very last second when it was far too late to do anything about it. Is it a trick of perspective?

Note that I think the anti-whaler guys are a bunch of complete and utter wankers even if I kinda agree with them, and that the “research vessels” are a disagrace.