Anticipating Your Favorite Games of the Year

Hello!

Its a bit hard to ignore how important the Holiday months in America (Europe, too, I wonder? Anyone want to comment?) are for games. Seems like every year the most “important” and high-profile games get pushed into this three-month period. Over here in Japan, while we do usually get a lot of great games near the end of the year (Nintendo has a specific tradition of releasing certain games in November much like Pixar used to do with films) I’d say its overall much more spread out over the year. If anything, spring/late winter, that is, from January 31st to March 21st is the busiest time for the industry.

In any case, even over here game criticism can be greatly affected at the end of the year by the fact that the earlier games are “out of sight, out of mind.” I wonder if its the same type of thing that makes movie companies release a lot of their Academy Award-seeking films at the end of the year. So this thread is an attempt to see how much it affects the QT3, masters of game discussion that you all are! :D

Simply list your top ten games so far this year. Then, at the end of the year, or the new year, I’ll resurrect or post a new thread, and ask for the top ten again and we’ll see how much the list changes. The rules are as such and in order for this to be valuable, please follow them:

1. No games from October, we’ll consider this month the beginning of the season. I’m not sure is September is either? Anyone want to weigh in on that? If a game makes the list, cut it out for now.

2. You may list more, but not less. Keep in mind that games that were not released this year, but that you played for the first time are perfectly eligible, since this is more about what keeps fresh in your mind. However, when we relist at the end of the year, you have to keep yourself to only ten titles on that list, since the idea is to see how many get pushed off and how drastic the difference is in the list.

3. More a note than a rule. Yeah, it may be more due to the fact that some incredible games get released from now on, but whattya gonna do? I’m not trying to be scientific here.

All clear now, cool! Here’s my list:

1. Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu (Sword of Mana)
  2. Shin Megami Tensei III
  3. Made in Wario
  4. Viewtiful Joe
  5. Venus & Braves
  6. Divine Divinity
  7. Ratchet & Clank
  1. Tales of Symphonia
  1. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
  2. Maximo vs. The Army of Zin

Okay, now its your turn!

-Kitsune

My problem with lists like these is that I can barely remember what games were released in August and September, much less what games were released in Januray or February. Also, the fact that I make most of my purchases from bargain bins/second hand stores tend to skew my perspectives of game releases.

This is a tough list to make for computer games since we can’t include the Holiday season games, which is when a lot of the good games come out. I don’t understand why you would include games that didn’t come out this year either, since the point of the list seems to be to see if the Holiday season games bump earlier releases from that year off the list. Also, I’m including September releases since I don’t consider them to be Holiday season games.

1. Rise of Nations
  2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  3. Galactic Civilizations
  4. Halo
  5. Freelancer
  6. Madden 2004
  7. Homeworld 2
  8. Jedi Academy
  9. Vietcong
  10. Splinter Cell

It’s been a somewhat lackluster year so far. There’s already been some major disappointments like Master of Orion 3, Unreal 2, and Lionheart. Last year was better.

Divine Divinity (was that really this year?)
Astral Tournament ( I have played this game almost every day for months!)
Temple of Elemental Evil (this one may be biased…I haven’t finished it yet)
Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance
ESPN NFL Football (“Ev’ry day I do!”)
Animal Crossing (that one might have come out last year, but I played it this year)
Knights of the Old Republic (if you like RPGs, this should be on your list)

In no particular order, and avoiding MMOs entirely:

1. Call of Duty
  2. Galactic Civilizations
  3. Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne
  4. NWN: Shadows of Underenrenentidenfhluegen
  5. Max Payne 2 (the hell with ALL of y’all, I love it, probably from the same spot in my ur-brain that watches The O’Reilly Factor)
  6. Knights of the Old Republic

The fact that I could only come up with 6 is pretty sad, yes.

1. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
  2. Rise of Nations
  3. Guilty Gear X2
  4. Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
  5. Ikaruga
  6. Wario Ware, Inc.
  7. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  8. Matrimelee
  9. Border Down
  10. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

No, Divine Divinity was last year. I remember writing the review in October and patching it the following April. :)

I’m betting someone either goes out of business or vows to leave the PC game industry forever by January. There’s just an insane amount of product due in the next couple of months. After 6 months of nuthin’, I’m easily looking at $500 over the next two months if I paid full retail price for everything, which of course I can’t afford to do. A good number of games are gonna bomb, and bomb hard.

From awesome to pretty good:

Virtua Fighter 4 EVO
Sega NHL Hockey
GTA:Vice City
Knights Of The Old Republic
WWE Smackdown:Shut Your Mouth*
Tenchu: Wrath Of Heaven
Soul Calibur 2
NBA Live 2004
Ape Escape 2
Rise Of Nations

• If Smackdown was a 2002 title, then change my #5 item to Any Game Not Called Devil May Cry 2, or maybe just change it to Dynasty Warriors 4
  1. Advance Wars 2
  2. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
  3. KotOR
  4. Age of Wonder Shado Magic
  5. WC3 Frozen Throne
  6. MOH Breakthrough - For the extra MP maps rather than the SP game.
  7. Soul Caliber 2
  8. Morrowind Bloodmoon
  9. NFL 2k4
  10. Call of Duty Demo

Shame on you all for not mentioning the best game of the year.

From best to least best :

1. Tron 2.0
  2. MS Flight Simulator 2004 : A Century Of Flight
  3. IL2 Forgotten Battles
  4. Grand Theft Auto : Vice City
  5. Galactic Civilisations
  6. Age Of Mythology/Titans
  7. Jedi Academy
  8. Rise Of Nations
  9. Vietcong
  10. Call Of Duty demo

I think you’re confused. I did mention the best game of the year: AoS.

Never heard of it. What is it an RTS or something ?

Never heard of it. What is it an RTS or something ?[/quote]

Avoiding MMOG’s and games I have played a lot more than these but were not released this year.

1.) Day of Defeat (Retail release was this year.)
2.) EVNova
3.) GalCiv
4.) Operation Flashpoint GOTY edition
5.) Vietcong
6.) Silent Storm Demo
7.) Championship Manager 4
8.) Fritz 8
9.) Blitz Basic Plus
10.) Nothing so far

Ok I cheated with 9.) its a game creator but still its eaten up my time and provided a lot of entertainment.

Ah a GBA game - screenpics look nice. I have been trying to find a reason to buy a GBA.

That’s the reason then.

1. Savage (I’m a fanboy, so what do you expect?)
2. Gothic II (this one really surprised me)
3. GTA:VC

4. Rise of Nations (quality game, but I’m bored of standard RTS)
5. Postal II (screw you - I thought it was fun)
6. Vietcong
7. Battlefield:1942 Road to Rome
8. DaoC: Shrouded Isles (European release wasn’t until February)
9. Championship Manager IV
10.Planetside (had its moments)

To be honest, though, apart from two bad purchases and a game that hasn’t made it out of the box yet, those are the only games I have played this year.

1. Call of Duty (demo)
  2. Vietcong
  3. Day of Defeat (retail)
  4. Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic
  5. Combat Misson: Beyond Overlord (CDV retail)
  6. Laser Squad Nemesis (first game I’m buying once I get my student CIBC Visa)
  7. Rise of Nations
  8. Halo
  9. Baseball Mogul 2004 (got it for $12.99 CDN at EB)
  10. Master of Orion 3 (Please don’t stone me)

With the exception of #1 in no paticular order:

1. Vice City. The only game I finished 3 times. Almost flawless-except that @#%@$@ helicopter mission.

The rest:
Rise of Nations-national borders/working naval units…yay!
Homeworld 2-No Yes song, but I like everything else so far. Hardest damn game this year.
Halo PC -yikes 2 console ports?!? what’s the world coming to?
NFL 2k4 or ESPN whatever.Every day-Go Pats!
Sooooul Calibur II.
Freelancer-Oh so close to awesome.
RPG’s? None yet.
PC only shooters? None again.

So Castlevania is worth it? I’ve been on the fence about that one.

You guys have the new Maximo already Kitsune? NO FAIR!

It’s so sad how few of these I have beaten.
My list so far:

Star Wars: KOTOR
Soul Calibur 2
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Boktai: the sun is in your hand!
Wario Ware
Viewtiful Joe (ewps that’s October)
Dark Cloud 2
F-Zero GX
Ikaruga
Guilty Gear X2