Antihero - Qt3 League

I think you meant someone else, as our game is still in progress. :-)

Good grief! Sorry about the misreporting!

Zebra 6, @geewhiz 4. Gg and please feel better, soon!

Was ahead of @mysterio 4-0 and just resigned. I got very sloppy and he was on top of it and completely reversed matters in three turns. There was no way I was going to win, so I took the easy way out. Gg!

Hopefully, I don’t do that again!

Mysterio (6) > Zebracadabra (4) on Masquerade

gg, @Zebracadabra! You were on a worrisome roll in the early game.

Mysterio (6) > GeeWhiz (4) on Masquerade

gg, GW! And, since you messaged me in-game on my final turn stating I should be able to acquire another Bribe and you can’t view the log, it looks like only 3 Bribes are available to acquire in a single game. So I had to go for an Assassination VP to end it.

Oh, good to know!

Neutral henchman placement is semi-random. At the beginning of each player’s turn, the game counts the number of existing henchman, and if it’s below a threshold (which changes over the course of the game), it decides to spawn a new one. (Sometimes it will spawn multiple.) It prefers to spawn a henchman in the player’s set of immediately-scoutable tiles - that is, it prefers to scout a henchman at the very periphery of the current player’s unscouted region.

So yes: the henchman are (deliberately) spawning in a way that can block your scouting :) The flip-side of this is that the game is also trying to keep Gang-fodder within easy reach!

A[quote=“Goatgoatgoat, post:274, topic:127788”]
So yes: the henchman are (deliberately) spawning in a way that can block your scouting :) The flip-side of this is that the game is also trying to keep Gang-fodder within easy reach!
[/quote]

I’d say keep an eye on this. In my last three games, it happened often enough to kill my turn. When that gets in the way of strategic planning, it adds no value to the game. Admittedly, my circumstance may not have been quite the norm but it wasn’t just annoying, it was having a significant impact.

I should add that “semi-random” is the right approach, just needs the right balance.

I am on the exact opposite side of Zebracadabra: I find the random spawning of henchman at the edge of my scouting area both a very useful defensive tool, and an good opportunity for the gang. For one, they are blocking my adversary as much as me! Not killing some of those is part of the consideration I have to “build” the map to my liking - and especialy, protect the so feeble first gang. And then, not having any henchman spawn around is, on the contrary, one of those frustrating event that forces you to scout far, far away to feed your gang, in risky territory to top it off.

I agree with LE.

Yeah - this particular feature has undergone a huge amount of playtesting (it’s been in the game for years), and I’m pretty happy with how it works, so it’s unlikely to change much.

Philosophically, I think Antihero benefits from having random features like this that sometimes tilt the balance slightly in your favor, and sometimes do the opposite. It may, however, be the case that certain maps simply attract too many henchmen. For example, the Wharf is smaller than the other two multiplayer maps, so perhaps it should have a lower threshold for max-spawned-Henchmen (it does not, currently).

It’s very interesting! I had the feeling the default city map lacked henchmen while the others had plenty of them, but it appears it may be simply due to the size of the map.
It makes for very different personnalities, for sure (the default map had, to me, always a much more dark and grim, “industrial” atmosphere than the two others).

@Dave_Perkins Dang … I should have used my Thief on that church to trigger that trap before risking the Truant Officer … but I got greedy hoping to evict you from both churches. I have not been taking notes on when/where I see traps being placed.

Could be that you win on your next turn then …

Edit: … and so you did. Excellently played. I would have been able to invoke the Sisters on my next turn and use them to get another Assassination and my last VP so you timed it perfectly. Well done [he said through gritted teeth].

Brother, that was a fantastic game. I love that I could achieve such a dominating economy yet you were so close to victory nevertheless. There always seems to be a way to counter your opponent on the fly – a mark of a great game, @Goatgoatgoat.

Dave 5, Rob 4

Hope we’re in the same group next Season!

p.s. I’ve actually been using the in-game chat to keep track of where traps are. I figure that my opponent knows where they are, and so do I, and that’s pretty much everyone, so why not?

p.p.s. I wonder if Estates replenish their diamonds on a schedule. I noticed that the Estate you robbed was empty until the turn setup, whereupon it populated with a juicy diamond.

Looks like me and @Thraeg never even started a game – oops! We won’t wait for that to happen. But also, in expectation of the reset that hasn’t come yet, me and @lordkosc also did not finish. I think, also, that Thraeg vs @robthomasson did not finish.

Rather than wait for those games to go, I think we should move on.

Because this is the first Season, and the groups were randomized, I’m going to tweak the playoffs formula, and have the top two from each group play a game, and then the winners will meet each other in the finals.

So, if you’re up for it:

@Left_Empty vs @Mysterio
@belouski vs @geggis

Winners report! No need for scores. They will meet in the finals (one game) to see who is champion of Season 1.

I’d like to play in Season 2:

Dave “Sisters” Perkins

@Left_Empty, let’s wait until the next update drops before starting our semifinals game. Agreed?

That’s a great idea, actually. Hey @Thraeg and @lordkosc, I’ll send you a challenge. Maybe we can finish in time!

We’re still going (currently 3-1), but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t make the playoffs even if I win.