Antihero - Qt3 League

Excellent, @Zenchess! Stay tuned.

Okay, I think I have a good idea. Let’s run a Circle tournament for Season 2. I’ve used this structure before, and I think it will be perfect for our current constraints.

Everyone is in one group, and I will randomly arrange you in a circle. You’ll play a game vs the players to either side of you. If you lose both games, you’re out. If no one loses both games, then everyone with the lowest cumulative wins is out. We continue until we are down to 2 or 1 player. If 2, then they play a game for the championship!

Am I okay in assuming that the people who signed up for Season 2 are still interested? Including Zen. If not, please say so. And if you hadn’t signed up, but this sounds interesting, join in!

Let me know if you’re bailing, @belouski and @Otthegreat and @Thraeg and @robthomasson and @gruntled and @geggis and @lordkosc. If you speak not, then I will assume you’re still in.

Not to take anything away from your semifinals victory, @Left_Empty, but holy hell that map was the most lopsided one I’ve ever played. I had two gem-only Estates and both Churches next to me, while you had the third Trading House, a masterpiece-only Estate, and the Bank in your backyard. The only way it could have been worse for me is if the Orphanage were where the Strangefellows Club was. I was starved for lanterns the entire game. gg, though!

@Goatgoatgoat:

What’s the deal with Estates? Does each one always spawn the same item, or is there a 50/50 chance? The two Estates closest to me spawned nothing but gems the entire 15-turn game.

Also, what does your playtesting show regarding the Safecracker upgrade with buildings having at least one coin in them? And do burgled buildings spawn additional small sacks after the initial 2 lanterns/2 coins and 1 coin are burgled?

Thanks!

Every time an Estate spawns a burglary, it’s 50/50 jewelry or art, so this was just an unusual run of dice rolls!

Non-Estate buildings will never spawn additional burglaries (except for on the Masquerade map, where Mask burglaries will continue to appear throughout the game).

Re: Safecracker – I’m not sure what you mean? Are you asking if it’s OP or underpowered? (I’m not sure, but in my own personal playtests I haven’t seen it as either OP or UP. I need to get some more game-balance analytics gathering into the game.)

I think I’ll head to Vegas!

It just seems that coins are too plentiful in the end game when Safecracker’s been researched, since a player’s Master Thief likely has at least 4 actions by then, which equates to 8 coins when burgling even small sack buildings. I can’t remember: does a player receive a coin from Safecracker when burgling an empty building?

If the building is empty, no extra coin!

You should play @lordkosc sometime; he knows all the map hacks! Seriously though, despite how salty I get when the map is lopsided, I’m trying my damnedest to see how easy it is to turn things around. It’s not easy. But I got as close to a win as I have yet on my last game against Lord “Two Tradehouses” Kosc. Still feeling around for strategies that depend mostly on what you do get near your guild hall though.

I’m 1-0 against him. :-)

LORDKOSC:
ENGAGING MAP HACK.

TRANSFERRING BANKS.
SHUFFLING CHURCHES.
RE-CALIBRATING TRADEHOUSE LOCATIONS.
RE-ESTABLISHING ESTATES.
RE-ROUTING ASSASSINATION CONTRACTS.

SUCCESS.
WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW.

Stupid Discourse.

EDIT: That worked.

@Mysterio, send me an invite, I am always up for a game!

@geggis My new strategy is playing with 3 trading houses. ;)

It works sometimes! See picture:

https://forum-cdn.quartertothree.com/uploads/default/original/2X/9/9a7485d31a944baf74ce51980fe06dd552d488c8.jpg

So I guess you’ll be hosting this week’s lantern parade?

Very, very close game with geggis - probably a matter of a gold coin plus or minus on either side. He held only a bank and a trading house the entire game, but boy did he pull in a lot of cash. The bank was waaaay down in the corner and was perpetually blocked off by multiple henchmen, so I never even got it properly scouted. I was always short of cash, so it took a lot of saving up to finish by filling up 2 churches on the last turn.

Meanwhile, totally crazy game vs Otthegreat.

Real early on Ot started blocking me off from all or most of the map with 3hp thugs and he kept it up all game. I really contemplated resigning, but I kept getting lucky in having the assassin targets show up in what little of the map I could reach. What also saved me was that he did not evict my urchins from the 2nd trading house until his last turn.

That was a really fun game. Between the boat and the church, I would’ve won next turn. I’m glad you didn’t resign after all!

Yeah, I really should’ve gone after it earlier. I didn’t want to risk my upgraded gang since I knew you had assassins. My lack of truant officers and the fact you had the orphanage limited my eviction capabilities too. I was sure you would’ve trapped the trading houses, but I guess not!

@gruntled the game I’ve been playing against @lordkosc had a similar layout to the one you just panned me on no it didn’t:

And, hey look, I got two trading houses again!

So I got two trading houses against you Ron but early on I took some risky decisions that totally hobbled me for the rest of the game. Namely overstretching for two very early VPs and sacrificing a gang but also I decided to avoid the turn 1 Cooking upgrade in favour of… Scout and Gang, I think. I’m not really convinced there’s any good reason to not go Cooking every damn time though. It seems a bit of a non-decision to me. That said, I also had some trouble with henchmen hemming me in and those three estates nearby were risky with your mega gang stomping around.

The problem with scout + gang is that you have to wait to get a lantern from a building for the cooking upgrade.

In our Docks game, you spooked me by grabbing a cargo VP so early, which made me think outside my usual box. I started with the ‘get the thugs drunk’ upgrade path just intending to keep you from getting more quick cargo VPs. But then I realized that the Docks map lends itself to a thug-blocking strategy in general. Especially as neutral henchmen seem to be more common on this map.

Howdy friends,

Just a heads up that I’ll be pushing a new build next week that will clear all in-progress games.

(This one was a long time coming; the extended delay is due to the Charity Tournament that’s wrapping up this weekend – because there was a big chunk of money on the line, we decided not to push any breaking changes for the 6-ish weeks the tourney was running.)

There are a small handful of balance changes, mostly centered around traps; plus the groundwork has been laid for the next multiplayer map (“The Palace”!) which will launch… soon afterwards!

Ooo, exciting!

So is there interest in a Season 2? Or are we waiting for more patches?

Sooooo any league interest? Or am I beating a dead horse?

Is it out for iOS yet?