Antihero

I hate playing him on the Masquerade map, he never steals a single thing from the party, and yet still wins 95% of the time on that map.

@Goatgoatgoat , any chance on increasing the incentive to steal from the party? Maybe add some coin as a reward also?

Based on his feedback and his hours played I dare say he’s calculated that it’s not worth it. You only get one coin per mask and the cost of urchins and thugs to infiltrate the masquerade rises with each hire. Not to mention, when you’re needing four masks that’s four coins instead of a potential eight on top of the cost to hire four infiltrators. It’s a huge sink. I wouldn’t mind seeing perhaps a flat two or probably three masks per VP so it’s a bit more hotly contested.

@Goatgoatgoat, does Masschoas give much feedback? He seemed to a have a lot to say in chat!

Until this morning, I never peaked in this thread. I assumed “Antihero” was a shooter, because that title sounds like an action game. My jaw dropped when I realized what it actually was.

I think the game’s name is a real problem. It does nothing to convey what type of game this is. Obviously it is too late for that.

Questions:
Does the pre-order get you a copy of the beta?
Is this steampunk-ish; in other words, Victorian with fantasy/sf elements, or just straight Victorian?
And the inevitable question: how’s the AI?

Ordering off of itch.io, gets you access now and a steam key (soon). But its $15 there vs the $12 on Steam. The extra $3 is well worth spending to learn the ropes now before release.
Victorian, no fantasy stuff.
AI is still dumb. But it will get better, there were promises!

You should get it @tylertoo so me and @geggis can rank up some easy wins, teach you the ropes.

@Goatgoatgoat, I assume the score ranking board will be wiped for release v1.0?

Re: Masschoas - yeah, I’ve chatted with him a bit – he’s given some good bug feedback, but I haven’t talked to him about game balance.

I’m curious about the Masquerade balance. My intention with the escalating victory point conditions is to have the first instance be obviously worth it, the second instance be “balanced”, and the third+ instances be things that generally happen in heavily-contested late game scenarios.

The two-mask condition feels pretty cheap to me, but it’s possible it’s not cheap enough? I’m hoping to do some deeper analysis once the game launches (two weeks!) by looking at aggregate statistics for how people are winning on a given map.

I dunno! What do you guys think? I guess may as well do a reset.

(The AI has gotten quite a bit better! And hopefully will get better still in the remaining two weeks before launch.)

Yeah I’m not sure. Definitely look at the stats when they roll in. I couldn’t say myself!

I think a reset would be… good for my one loss and no wins record :-)

Tied! This won’t last long…

I love how there’s no reproduced avatars!

Turns out we’re going to do a full database wipe (migrating to beefier servers), so… it’s a moot point!

Everyone should really consider getting this before July 12th, its already discounted down to $12 for pre-orders. And you get the first DLC pack free, the Book Club Characters skin pack, which looks like it will cost $5 after the release of the game.

I have recently passed 100 hours of playing this, split 90/10 between multiplayer and vs AI games. Such a fun game! Can’t wait for the single player, I am sure it will be a fun romp.

If anyone has questions hit me up, or @geggis , as I know he’d be glad to help get a new player started.

Just want to make sure people don’t blow all their money on the steam sale then realize after the sale, oh crap this comes out in 2 weeks? :p

@Goatgoatgoat any idea if the soundtrack will be free for us itch.io owners? :p We were superrrrrr early adopters.

So there’s a single-player game here too? Or at least a way to play the AI?

Yes sir, a single player campaign when the game releases. And there currently is a vs AI option to learn the ropes, with I believe 3 planned difficulty settings also at release.

Campaign story mode screenshot (cut scene?) from the latest email we received.

Didn’t realise there were email updates!

I’m snapping at your heels at around 90 hours and I divert a good chunk of my online TBS time to Chaos Reborn still so that’s a pretty incredible achievement really.

I’ll second @lordkosc though: this is a really cool little game. Simple, smart and super snappy. Absolutely well worth the price and I believe it’s coming to Android and iOS too for cross-platform play, which it’ll work perfectly for on-the-go.

@triggercut does the multiplayer interest you? The campaign is a bonus to me as the real magic has been against other folk.

I’m covering my ears. I can’t hear you. I have too many games.

Yeah, the phone/tablet version will come out a few months or less after our PC/Mac launch, if all goes well. Just need to make some UI adjustments for smaller screens.

And games were wiped again… :p

PATCH NOTES

Come on, dude, that was a couple of days ago now ;-)

@tylertoo, for what it’s worth, Antihero slots right in between other games because the multiplayer can be played asynchronously. I’ve mostly been playing against @lordkosc and I might do a turn before work, a turn when I get home, then maybe one or two turns before bed, on a good day. Early on turns take seconds, but as each game develops decisions get harder so you’re probably looking at 10-20 minutes tops–if you’re slow like me! The async MP is a joy if you’re a busy gamer, a bit like Chaos Reborn. I get a nice quick fix of TBS every day.

Hush! I’ve been busy. Damn people need to recreate accounts, I have 5 people from previous games not even registered yet.

Also @Goatgoatgoat the updated (not sure when it happened) Tutorial is great, new people will learn the ropes pretty easily.

Yeah I can’t really remember the original one now but the new one is solid. Is gang evicting covered or is that something that will come later in the campaign?