Antihero

The next patch will ensure this doesn’t happen, 'cause yeah it’s pretty unfair.

Another fun game @Goatgoatgoat , I thought you were doing really well also, then I just pulled ahead with a few lucky choices. I was pulling in crazy coin from the 3 mansions, one turn all 3 had diamonds to loot. The following turn I had something like 23 coins to spend, lol. So the bank really didn’t matter, and I just kept trapping it. :p

I hate this stupid game

No you don’t! Just a bad round, it happens. :p

It is actually somewhat gratifying to be “bad” at Antihero (though I do wish I were a bit better…) since it makes it less likely that it’s an easily “solved” game. When the game launches I hope to spend some time analyzing playthroughs to get a sense of how the best players approach the game, and use that to inform future tuning data (and content updates).

Okay, I think I’ve made my mind up on this map as it stands. It’s fantastic while you’re fighting over the same VP but the moment a player gets the jewels it’s pretty much gg which makes the rest of the game feel frustrating and pointless.

If it’s been a battle trying to get the jewels in the first place then the chances are most of the map will be pinned down and bled of coin to pay for your thugs to hold the towers (and saboteurs to scout them for traps), so the idea that once player A gets the jewels player B has to hold three towers (and they’ve rotated so kiss goodbye to that other plan you had) and also stop the other player from snagging bribes, blackmails and assassinations–while avoiding traps–to win, it’s just… not balanced. Has anyone managed to pull back a victory after losing the jewels first? I see you nearly did @Otthegreat.

The game I’m in against lordkosc was okay despite the tower on my side (one in the bottom corner) having two similarly quick approaches. While kosc’s (top corner) had two approaches, one that was quick and one that was long, and the quick route got plugged by two henchmen as I got close to it forcing me into the long way round. A turn or two later one of the assassination targets parked along it so that made the route even longer. Suffice to say I lost the jewels eventually and now there’s no chance I can pull anything back. The towers have also rotated locking the closest one to me and opening the furthest, while keeping the one near kosc guarded by two henchmen open!

Oh and he had two trading houses, as usual :-)

I like the VP bottleneck here but don’t like how decisive it is and I can’t help but feel I prefer the tension of not knowing what my enemy is going for with Masquerade and The Wharf. I’m not sure what needs tweaking to be honest.

I did manage to get close, but that was probably due in part to my side of the map having a lot of useful buildings. On any other map I would’ve been in a really strong position I think. I wonder if making it so that thugs garrisoning watch towers don’t increase the cost of hiring more thugs? I don’t even know if that’d be possible. For me, the biggest thing was how much coin I had to spend just to get all three watch towers. I’m not sure it’d have been possible at all if I hadn’t had the pub.

I did only play that one game on the map, so not a great sample size.

That’s exactly it. If you miss the jewels the first time you’re pretty much screwed because the extra tower adds even more financial pressure to securing the VP. More is expected of you while the other player is grabbing the bribes, blackmails and assassinations. It becomes exponentially harder.

Yep, I felt bad for you @geggis I could see you getting pinned in up top (cackling gleefully), as I was flailing around trying to secure the jewels, and kill that damn guard you kept placing at the palace door.

I eventually did reclaim my 2nd trade house. ;) And them 4hp guards were getting on my nerves! ;)

I figured you’d try to delay my win my taking out my church, but I had enough lanterns for a bribe and enough damage between my gang and thief to get a kill on the last turn also.

How towers work need to be addressed, only once have I won on the palace map, being the 2nd person to loot the palace.

I’d bet 95% of games on this map, the first to loot the palace wins.

Thanks for all this feedback.

There are a couple ways I think this map can be improved:

1. 2nd palace burglary requires 2 towers, instead of 3
  2. AND/OR: palace burglaries are not required to win

I like the “palace burglary requirement” simply because it’s a new constraint, so my instinct is to try #1 first, before removing the constraint. What say ye?

Aye, I think 1 sounds better. Keep the requirement but make it slightly easier (or at least provide a bit more choice) for the remaining player. What about in the case of two/three palace jewel thefts? Still two tower requirement but four possible towers?

Preview up at Videogamer.

@Goatgoatgoat , took me to school on the new Palace map, I didn’t have a single VP. I felt like a urchin being taken away by the Truant Officer.

But the overall game round did have 3 bugs!

Guard triggering a watchtower trap still gets stuck on the street for the next 2 turns.
The lower guard tower apparently does not show the other players guard in the tower, so sending a thug to take the tower over traps your guard on the street for 2 turns.
And the final turn of the game , I got an error log screen before I could see any of his moves for the win.

Obvious developer HAX! ;)

Also the game site doesn’t seem to be loading for me tonight.
http://antihero-game.com/

gg @lordkosc. I could have won a turn earlier but I couldn’t escape the feeling you’d trapped that church. When you hadn’t I was kicking myself! I bought a thug first instead of the urchin, which was a mistake. Thankfully I’d still done enough to hold you back, despite your two trading house, estate and bank combo. That last turn really clogged things up though with regards to henchmen near my guild hall…

What was your early mistake?

I only had 1 urchin in my trade house for probably the first 4 turns, because I focused on the bank, on turn 5 I only got the lantern generator unlock, and that turn I only scouted the area where the 2nd trade house was. I was lantern starved at the start, and had too many at the end, heh.

I find the boat map interesting as I either have easy wins or weird losses where I have lots of income but can’t get’er done.

I did notice your lantern income was lower than mine so I kept going for coin charity to keep the pressure on your bank lead. I must have used it three times. I noticed you discover the second trading house though and figured I’d try and snag the church for the extra coin, possible VP later on and it acted as a good bottleneck and distraction away from the boat.

@geggis, Yep, it was a well played game on your part. :)

See I don’t always win with 2 trade houses and the bank. Now if I’d of had the 2 trade houses earlier… :p

Anyway I’ve figured if I get the bank on turn 1, and get it fully upgraded by turn 3, it still takes till turn 5 before a profit starts. This of course changes if the player also gets the orphanage.

BANK:
Turn / Cost / Earned
T1 -2 coin (earned 1 coin)
T2 -4 coin (earned 1 coin)
T3 -4 coin (earned 3 coin)
T4 -1 coin (earned 3 coin)
T5 2 coin (earned 3 coin) finally a profit!

I have turn breakdown benefits for every building now, heh, and still lose a lot.

I play naked. NAKED.

Who doesn’t? ;)

I just love the probability and statistics of the game, I hope for a super detailed end of game summary screen. @Goatgoatgoat