Antihero

Ah, thanks! I’ll get that fixed.

I saw another preview was posted up on the facebook page.

That was… a contrast to the last game we had @lordkosc!

You were the cat with all the cream in the first few turns then I somehow managed to steal the palace jewels. Then I did it again. Crazy how that accelerated my lead. I was super tense when I was able to infiltrate the palace first, thinking you’d trapped a guard tower or the palace itself. That second palace burglary is super important for the player that hasn’t got the jewels yet because failing that means you’ve then got three guard towers to take! :-S

I’ve got a lot of love for the Strangefellows these days.

Yeah I have to admit I just squandered every opportunity on the Palace map, I had double trade house and the bank. I easily wasted 12 coin on traps you never triggered. The worst was when I cleared the 2 guard towers and then didn’t have enough coin to put thugs in, and you got the 2nd round of palace loot because I cleared the way for you. Then when I finally did go for the palace loot, I forgot I had to get 3 towers that turn. :(

Yeah you and Strangefellows… I feel I am a prisoner in my base on the wharf map right now, lol.

It feels cheap thugging you in but how far back should a gentlemanly player be using them on such a small map? I’m not sure what an effective counter is at present, especially if they’re brewing the hard stuff and have a Strangefellows. At that point it becomes a race to poison dagger and being careful with your gang, or trying for two gangs (assuming you have the lantern income).

I try to work around thugs so that it forces my opponent to drop even more coin on additional ones but on Wharf there’s only three or four lanes, two of which (the boat side) can be plugged with a single thug, while one of the others will inevitably have henchmen spawn along it.

Unrelated, but I want to see a future body snatching map. I don’t like suggesting stuff like this but it just seemed too irresistible not to. Each map kill drops an extra body in a (the?) graveyard, ripe for the digging up (corpses accrue like masks on Masquerade). The graveyard could have a watchtower too. Hold the medical school and have enough corpses to profit with a VP. I might float this on the itch forum for fun.

Edit: Any crime will do, right?

@geggis, Thugs are valid at any point, I know the block in strategy works. Sadly I also know I’ve lost the game we are playing, probably 5 turns ago. The wharf map seems to have penalized me for actually going for the boat too soon. As you have way more map control now, and are bleeding me of the little coin I get. I think you have killed my gang 3 times now. :(

What’s funny is I don’t even have the thug unlocked, as I was going for double gang, but that’s useless now, as I don’t have coin to get the 2nd gang out.

I might just resign to deny you proper victory! ;)

I find that rushing the boat isn’t a bad idea but you’ve got to follow it up with area denial or traps to keep the dock buttoned down. The other side of the map is good for back door infrastructure, shenanigans and bluffs. Control’s everything on Wharf because it’s so small and double gang takes a lot of lanterns to get! I rushed the bank and nearly sunk my economy protecting it but I wanted to keep the thugs thuggin’…

Haha, I love it!

gg @lordkosc!

I definitely like the idea of not knowing exactly how many of each type of building there on a map, especially the larger ones.

Edit: maps, not levels! :)

@lordkosc, know that, regardless of how these two games go, they were good games, bloody good games!

I apologise for my thugs.

@geggis get your ass online and take your turns, this is how I am right now…

Well played @lordkosc! Super close game. I definitely feel like this map is a lot more interesting with the recent changes (and now I know traps don’t effect attackers!).

Lordkosc filled up his traditional VPs and tried to end with the palace jewels while I saved up for the palace jewels first. Both viable!

@geggis, indeed a very GG, one of the best I played all month!

A glorious win by me.

Also on the current big city map we are playing, that trap on the 2nd trade house so early. YOU KNEW I couldn’t resist. :p

Honey pot! ;-)

@Goatgoatgoat in our current game on the wharf, not just one but TWO of your traps that I triggered last turn… Oh there will be blood, good sir… >.>

And I swear I should have lost this game. But I won when @Goatgoatgoat apparently bought the wrong upgrade on the tech tree, that he designed!

I can’t speak for everyone but I often have multiple strategies on the boil and sometimes I mix one element with another in a single turn then realise they don’t work as well together. Those kinds of mistakes can cost you and they’re easy to do if you’re switching around a lot as circumstances change.

I was soooo tempted to use the admin-only “undo move” cheat, but I abstained because I am a GOOD PERSON

So the Big City game I’m in against @lordkosc has him with two gangs, a thug and a fully leveled Strangefellows. Each gang has three hearts. Now, I’m sure in other games I’ve evicted an urchin or three in order to take the global hearts of enemy gangs and thugs down by one but in this case only his thug has lost a heart. His two gangs remain at three. Is this right? It makes no sense to me. I thought that perhaps I’d misread their health and they were at four hearts each but when I restarted I saw that they were indeed at three. Incidentally, restarting the turn seemed to reset my moves, which occasionally happens.

Edit: I mean, this Strangefellows/gang hearts quirk has kind of screwed up this turn so now I’m just doing sub-optimal crap to avoid an even worse outcome.