Antivirus - McAfee vs. SAV - which is thinner?

Firstly, I don’t believe in antivirus. I believe it is a waste of precious system resources to run AV. Of course, I go to Windowsupdate religiously and always stay behind a hardware firewall. By doing these two things I’ve only caught a virus once, ever (and it was because I was stupid).

So now, work has a new VPN software. This insidious piece of software apparently scans my system and will only allow me access to email if it detects I’m not running AV. So, I need AV.

I have free access to McAfee and SAV. Which is less intrusive and easier to turn off? I plan on only “turning on” AV to appease the VPN software.

SAV installs 3 services, and it looks like it has a footprint of about 5MB. Which isn’t too bad… Assuming I’ve recognized the SAV processes, which I’m guessing I probably haven’t.

Thanks in advance.

I use AVG for the geek cred. In your case, ultimate geek cred would be figuring out what your VPN software looks for and spoofing it.

They’re both pretty bloated and quirky nowadays. Spend the small price for eTrust AV. Compact, doesn’t use many cycles, used by some major corporations with very fussy IT departments on their development systems.

mcafee have gotten sloppy recently, so i can’t recommend them.

We use norton AV in our office, but unlike the rest of the company, we can change our AV settings independent of corporate IT. We can set up our own exclusion lists, customize the quarantine behavior, etc.*

What VPN client is this?

(I forked my own $$$ for a copy of AVG for my main workstation, though. I have some viruses in email attachments that norton missed but that AVG found embedded inside .zip archives.)

I use Trend Micro’s PC-Cillin.

Aventail. I tried to google some hax0r info on it, but all I got was official press release crap. :\ Damn thing installs itself as an “Automatic” service, too. Easy enough to fix, but come on.

I have no idea what AV programs are on its official list of acceptables, either. ><

Here’s what you do Balasarius. Install the VPN client, install some AVS software, then verify that the AVS and the VPN stuff all works. Then usinstall the AVS software and try the VPN again. If it doesn’t work, call your companies tech support. Claim you have AVS installed and the VPN installed right and that it all worked yesterday but today “it just stopped working.” Trust me, IT departments love complaints like this. Repeat this act daily until they get frustrated and tell you how to work around the AVS check just to get you to go away.

As someone who has dealt with idiotic tech support before, I have to say, that’s pretty evil and brilliant…well said!

And as someone who has provided tech support to users who kept forgetting, ignoring, or attempting to bypass our security setup - then come complaining to us when they can’t or they screw up their PCs - I have to say, that’s pretty evil and brilliant…which means you would be among the first we had lined up against a wall and shot when the revolution came.

“We control the horizontal…we control the vertical…”

Yeah, I hear ya unbongwah. I’ve been on both sides of such situations before too. As a former sysadmin I have great respect for how hard those guys and gals have it, and zero respect for stupid blanket rules like “you must be running AVS on your home PC before you can log in to work.” Those rules are for the clueless users, not power users. A IT department that doesn’t make special concessions for power users deserves what it has coming when those power users game the system, bypass the restrictions, and give the IT folks general hell.

Depending on the vpn product and what checking it has enabled it could be looking for regkeys, running processes, listening ports, and file checksums. Also, this is something that is typically handled by the Security or Networking teams, and beating up the helpdesk is likely to be a dead end.

SAV Corp > *

AVG - AntiVirus Guard is some solid stuff. Well worth the money and much lighter on the resources then Norton or McAfee

I’d use AVG if I wasn’t getting Norman for free (my bank pays for it :). Both are pretty
light on resources - Norman creates a worrisome number of processes, but haven’t had
any trouble with it because of that. It’s just more to read when I do my daily paranoid scan
for suspicious processes :)

If your choice is just between McAfee and SAV since you get only those for free, go with SAV. On account of it sucking considerably less.

Right now I’m on the side of “IT dept” but when I see my coworkers do stupid crap (which they do) trying to help customers, I sometimes realize we deserve whatever we get anyway. Those of us who don’t deserve it would probably find a way out of it :D

Thanks for the input, guys.

The Aventail client was looking for a running process or service. Having SAV installed but not running didn’t work.

I managed to write a little script that would start the SAV service needed, then the Aventail service, then connect to the website.

Thanks again.

http://www.avast.com/

Free, and very easy on system resources.