Any coffee dorks?

Now I have toaster envy.

Me too. My au pair left a giant tin of imported instant coffee. I couldn’t let it go to waste, so I finished it… and by the time it was empty, I was hooked. Now it’s “vomit coffee” every morning.

My hot water kettle broke, so I started doing cold-brew coffee instead. It’s just too convenient to pour a bit off, and microwave a couple of minutes.

You know how bagels tend to be overtoasted on the bottom and under on the top? This toaster has a separate bagel setting specifically designed to avoid that problem! It’s frickin’ awesome.

The controls work more like a microwave than a normal toaster; you can set it to bake at 375F for 22 minutes, it pre-heats to exactly 375F (and really fast, too!) then beeps to let you know it’s ready, then will automatically turn off 22 minutes later, beeping again to alert. There is no better toaster on the market, I assure you.

Vimes’ theory of toasters.

Oh hell, it’s a convection oven too. Talk about burying the lede, stusser. I have wanted a convection oven, even a countertop version, for quite a while.

I’m flying out of PDX in about an hour and I just bought some cold brewed coffee from Stumptown Roasters. Odd thing is that they have their cold brews ‘on tap’ and this was a nitro. I think that I’d have to do some side by side tasting in order to say much about the impact, but my coffee does have a nice nitro head on it.

Cold brewed coffee has been growing on me in recent months for various reasons, and I’m drinking it more and more but haven’t been making my own. So convenient and often a great value at some of my local stores.

Unboxed a simple Hario cold brew coffee carafe yesterday and experimental brew #1 is doing its thing in the fridge at work after a brief struggle with an untranslated Japanese instruction booklet. Should be drinkable when I get into the office tomorrow. The build quality seems fine – super simple design – and it wasn’t hard to use.

Note: I picked the above based on a couple of comments I saw in reviews of other similar but competing products. Risky, I know, but I do it for you, Qt3. I shall report back!

I’ve been using an empty plastic 1gal ice cream tub, an empty 1gal Arizona tea container, a funnel, and some cheesecloth, but I suspect you’re probably getting better results than me. :P

It’s not bad, could be a little bolder. Nearing the end of my second cup.

This was kind of a baseline experiment. Simple cold bloom and it was in the fridge for 15 hours. Next, I’ll give the hot bloom method a shot. Beans were medium-dark roast and I’ll stick with them for now. Just as I was researching up on that, I found the following which coincidentally features this very carafe carafe and the water boiler I have at work and home.

Edit: sp

I got an Aeropress for Christmas (well, I asked for it) and have brewed a couple cups so far using the inverted method. It’s different but I’m not sure if it’s any better than my Kalita Wave. The Kalita has less cleaning but it’s more of a pain to stop those Kalita filters from collapsing on themselves. A couple of problems that I have with the Aeropress is that it seems like the recommended brew temperature is 80°C but that means that my coffee gets cold far too quickly. Also, with my Kalita I usually make a 300 ml cup but with the Aeropress I’m lucky if I can get 230. I guess I can just top up with hot water afterwards but that does seem a little heretical.

My ordinary coffee brewing mechanism is an espresso machine on my countertop; when I want a full-size cup I make an American. I remember my dad used to do the same thing with an Aeropress. In fact, we had a little jar we’d put in the fridge with the concentrated results of an Aeropress brew; we’d add hot water in the morning for quick cups on the way out the door.

See my post #406: Any coffee dorks?. Drip straight into the thermal carafe, close the carafe, your coffee will stay warm as long as you need.

The Aeropress temperature recommendation is actually closer to 88°C I think.

Still using my Aeropress myself. Not that I have a lot to compare with beyond a standard Gevalia coffee pot, but still love it. The only annoying bit is that I go through the rubber plunger part awful fast - no matter how I seem to clean/store it, it deteriorates after a while, which allows coffee to leak back up in the plunger area while pushing.

As for temperature, could have sworn I read 186F (so ~85.5C), but the general rule-of-thumb I use is just a touch after the kettle starts making noise. I do notice a slight difference in taste between that and just letting the water boil, but as noted it does cool off a lot faster.

Any recommendations for a small (4-5 cup) drip brewer? Preferably under $100. Was considering the Bonavita BV1500TS which appears to be the little brother of the Bonavita that America’s Test Kitchen and this blogger liked. Amazon also has a Zojirushi EC-DAC50 for about the same price.

How do people store their Aeropress when not in use? I had been keeping the two parts separate but I noticed the instructions mentioned to keep the plunger stored in the tube to protect the rubber seal. I had thought that the opposite would be true for some reason.

Daagar, what do you do when the rubber goes bad? Do they offer replacements or do you have to buy a whole new kit?

If you leave the plunger inside the press, you have to make sure it’s pushed all the way through so the gasket isn’t being compressed by the shaft of the press. Otherwise, leaving the plunger in the press will seriously shorten the life of the rubber. We only store ours in the press if we’re traveling with it.

I used to store it separated, but have learned to keep it together (though pushed all the way through as mentioned above). It does seem to help, thus far. The one that I had go bad wasn’t due to compression though - it actually started fraying.

@Canuck - You can buy just the rubber piece for ~$6 (plus shipping, I presume) directly from the manufacturer. Unfortunately, no one like Amazon does. I somehow ended up with a whole second unit, so haven’t actually purchased a replacement this way yet.

If your rubber stopper is bad due to compression, you can (at least temporarily) fix it by microwaving the rubber in a small amount of water (enough to submerge the piece) for 30seconds. This is actually suggested (but not an offical stance) on the Aeropress FAQ.

Remember when we made fun of people who ordered double-shot, nonfat, no-foam lattes?