Any coffee dorks?

That’s exactly what krok was wanting to ship - a steel-burr manual grinder:

If I made more coffee at one time (the Aergrind only holds about 20g), I’d probably buy a refurb Baratza Encore for $100: https://www.baratza.com/product/encore-refurb/

Hmmm…tempted now.

That Encore looks sweet, though.

My French Press. Sweet Maria’s doesn’t carry them anymore.

That’s a great French press with a few caveats:

The external walls dent easily. Mine is 10 years old and looks pretty beaten up.

The insulated nature suggests you could leave your coffee in the press after steeping to keep warm. But you SHOULDNT do that anyways since will keep interacting with the grounds at the bottom.

Diego

Concur, I’ve had this one (my second) for 6 years. I like it merely because it makes more coffee and isn’t glass (durable).

I always make the coffee and then thermos it

If you like that because of how much coffee you can make in it - you don’t want a hand grinder…

LOL

It all started when I liked a cup of French Press 10 years ago…

Really good coffee is such a delicate art, there is a vast difference between the superb and the awful. I am a heretic who doesn’t need the caffeine, so I posit the easiest way to make good coffee consistently is to make coffee ice cream: lots of cream and sugar and it doesn’t require fine coffee or careful production to be delicious.

Heretic!

Sorry about that! I, too, enjoyed blade-ground french press coffee. Did so happily for 30 years. Then I tried to buy one $100 burr grinder, wound up with two (because of a Scot who can’t be arsed to check emails from his customers), and here we are with @krayzkrok’s existential crisis.

In my defense, the rest of my ‘gourmet’ expansion beyond the french press consists of one $7 piece of plastic

and one $18 kettle

I normally drink coffee black but… if I’m gonna go milk… add one spoon of French vanilla haagen daaz instead.

As @ChristienMurawski recommended to me upthread, sweetened condensed milk is nice too.

Why fuck around? If you’re gonna do it, do it.

Just put whiskey in it and have Irish Coffee. I mean why fuck around with Baileys.
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 jigger Irish whiskey (1 1/2 ounces or 3 tablespoons)

Heavy cream, slightly whipped

Fill footed mug or a mug with hot water to preheat it, then empty. Pour piping hot coffee into warmed glass until it is about 3/4 full. Add the brown sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Blend in Irish whiskey. Top with a collar of the whipped heavy cream by pouring gently over back of spoon. Serve hot.

Yes, a real irish coffee is the ultimate why fuck around escalation. I knew that was coming!

When I was young my drink of choice was a double espresso and a johnny Walker black. Separately.

Irish coffee: Larry Niven’s favorite drink. I got my recipe out of N-space, I think.

Yeah, and use this whiskey. Heaven.

I drink my Irish Coffee like Churchill drank his martinis. I look in the direction of the coffeepot, then I pour a glass of whisky and drink it.

See, @stusser. “Just drink straight whiskey, neat” is the ULTIMATE ultimate why fuck around escalation.

Next comes butt chugging straight-up Everclear.

And then crushing oxycontin into powder and snorting them.

Black tar, obviously.

And I think we’ll probably end on smoking crack rock in aluminum foil in a condemned building ripped off a stripper you murdered with her own stiletto heels.