Any coffee dorks?

That doesn’t sound odd to me. Heck, we only heat the house to 20C at most during the day in Winter.

Me too! And sometimes I bear the brunt of my wife’s displeasure because of it. I actually set up an automation that now raises the temperature to 21 when she leaves her office to head home. It’s gone a long way towards avoiding unpleasantness.

Back to coffee, I wonder if there’s any solution to this issue. Now that spring is finally arriving in Montreal, I can go back to using the timer again, but winter is always coming…

So I read this a couple weeks ago, and while I’m happy with my regular coffee maker, the review of the cold-brew maker by OXO really caught my eye. Price was reasonable, and the reviews were great, so I took a chance on it. Finally got to try some results today.

Oh - my - GOD does it make a great cold brew. I was just making regular coffee and pouring over ice. Was always bitter enough (even though I think it tastes fine when I’m drinking it hot - just putting it over ice made it bitter until I added some Equal) that I thought I’d try a cold brewer. Boy am I glad I did!

Have you ever tried making cold brew by steeping before? I wonder if the OXO really adds anything except convenience, since the process they recommend seems no different than you could do yourself with some jars and a pour-through filter.

I have a Toddy cold brew setup, and can confirm it does make nice coffee concentrate. The OXO does have a nice plastic piece on top (the rainmaker) which looks like it distributes the water evenly over your grounds. I’d probably get that over what I have if the carafe is the same size.

It’s all convenience/quantity. It’s easier to batch a decent amount of cold brew concentrate in my OXO than it is to use my smaller French press, cheesecloth, jars, etc.

My coffee setup so far is:
Encore grinder
Kalita Dripper for pour over
Aeropress for smaller cups or to make fake aerolattes
OXO cold brew for, uh, cold brew
French Press for when I feel like something oiler/denser/darker

https://m.cnn.com/en/article/h_6decc22b30997e1b62c2b80c45a2a828

The study of more than 8,000 people across the United Kingdom also found that even those who drank up to 25 cups a day were no more likely to experience stiffening of the arteries than someone drinking less than a cup a day.

So there you go - you 20-cup a day coffee drinkers (they excluded people who reported drinking “more than 25 cups per day”).

If you’re drinking 25 cups of coffee a day, hardening arteries is the least of your worries, I would think.

Jesus Christ. That’s MORE than a cup an hour. Considering (I think, maybe) that those people still require sleep, now we’re up to a cup and a half an hour, every hour you’d be awake. That’s a lot of coffee, homie.

My balance is to drink less than my parents, who were able to drink coffee at every meal somehow, plus coffee most of the early day. They also made a fresh pot of coffee multiple times per day and went through a ton of relatively cheap coffee.

I’m quite happy with my intake in comparison.

Is that a 6 oz “cup”? Because most regular mugs are 12 oz and the large ones I see some people with are more like 20+. They may say they only have “3 cups” in a morning but it may be 48 floz.

I drink about 20 (one tumbler) to 40 oz a day. Days with 40 are only when I get up early enough to have one before my commute, so that’s rare. That being said, on a Saturday I can go through a bit more while playing games and not paying attention. When I hit, “do stuff,” mode I usually stop.

Back to that article though, that’s still 150oz, or roughly 1.2 gallons of coffee a day. It’s quite a bit.

Bought an OXO Cold Brew and it’s changed my life. So convenient, and so much easier on my tum-tum.

I was looking at that, but I can’t decide if it’s worth it. I did some reading and seems you can get a 2 quart jar with a filter for less than the Oxo that does the same job. I don’t really the understand the pros/cons of all these cold brew systems.

I admittedly didn’t do much research. Just bought the one on Amazon that seem to have the most reviews. Cold brewing really just comes down to letting the grounds sit in water for a day, and filtering it. Can be done super cheap with mason jars and paper filters. The OXO (and other systems, I assume) just make easy and convenient.

Same one I bought, and yeah - it’s a life changer for me. I did read (after I got it, of course), that you can also use a French press to make cold brew pretty much the same way (steep for 24 hours, push down plunger, pour out concentrate), but the OXO thing makes a lot more. I definitely recommend starting with beans, and grind them right before using them for cold brew. I’ve also used pre-ground, and it’s still good, but not as good. Like a 6 or 7 out of 10 vs 9 or 10 out of 10 (depending on the coffee).

If you do get the OXO cold brew thing, don’t bother with the paper filters. Haven’t come across a need for them net - the wire (?) one built into it is just fine by itself.

Yeah. The paper filters are kind of wierd. Maybe useful if you do a really fine ground?

If you do have to use a finer ground, or your grinder has a tendency to put some fine grinds in even on “coarse” setting, I could see how running your cold brew through a paper filter could be handy.

I guess. I just followed the directions that said to use the coarsest grind possible, and haven’t had an issue, but yeah - especially if you use a blade grinder, that can be hard to control.

I have now leveled up my coffee dorkiness!

The 7 or 8 year-old Gaggia Classic w/ PID and Rancillio Rocky grinder are being replaced by…

… a Quickmill Andreja Premium heat exchanger & a Caedo E37J grinder.

This should be super fun over the next few weeks. Trying to figure out timing for the cooling flushes that HX machines require may be challenging, but also hopefully rewarding. Plus I can finally make a half decent macchiato or cappuccino.

Diego

Wow, nice. My Chemex/Aerpress set up seems so inadequate now. :-)