Any E3 surprises?

It seems to me all the big games have been already annouced. (Half life 2, Sims 2, Trokia’s Vamp game, etc) At least on the PC side there doesn’t seem to be any big annoucements to come. Maybe a firm date for Doom 3 but thats hardly a big annoucement. There is Sid’s big annoucement but we all know what sequels that is likely to be. Unless he pulls out an original game, there will be no big surprise there. EA has spilled its beans, so has Sierra, LucasArts. Any big players holding cards close to their chest?

They might, there’s always something.

You can play Brian Reynolds at Rise of Nations if you want.

Straight from the mass-mailed spam.

If we told ya, then it wouldn’t be much of a surprise now would it? ;)

There hasn’t been a surprise at one of these shows in years. At least I can’t think of one.

Not since Sega released the Saturn early.

The Halo demo in 1999 (or 2000?), before MS bought the company, was the last real surprise I can think of. It really knocked people’s socks off.

Yes. In fact, I’m still looking for those socks.

Ditto for me. Our announcement doesn’t come until May 13. :-)

I still have a promo movie made using the old PC Halo engine, saying how the power of Halo could only be unlocked using the nVidia Geforce 2…

It’ll be nice to finally get that on the PC, even if it is like 3 years later than it should have been.

I did some research on the original question:

E3 '99 Star Wars Obi Wan was announced and so was Civilization III. Obi Wan turned out to be a dud but this was pre-Xbox and was supposed to be the sequel to Jedi Knight.

E3 '01 Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast was a surprise

This year Firaxis has a big announcement. I think most companies realize they get double coverage if they announce before E3. They get the big announcement then E3 happens and they get a follow-up article/possible E3 award.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but was Halo really a surprise that year? The demo was great, no doubt, but the footage from Macworld had been making the rounds for quite some time.

Last time I was surprised was Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault. Too bad the game turned out so completely average.

Maybe Duke Nukem Forever will go Gold.

… and maybe it will rain beer tomorrow. :D

mmmm… beer

I’m looking for Sid Meier to announce Civilization: Xtreme Volleyball.

:lol: :lol: :lol:, Whew, your a funny guy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:, Whew, your a funny guy.[/quote]

Well you must admit, if they did announce that it would be one hell of a surprise.

I’m announcing a role playing game based on the Cabbage Patch doll phenomenon. It’s about due for a comeback and I’ll be there to ride the wave.

Not really. If they announced it and then it actually happened, that would be a surprise.

Not really. If they announced it and then it actually happened, that would be a surprise.[/quote]

Touche! Point conceded to Matthew.