Any More Info on X360 Back Compatibility?

I got a hefty EB gift card from my woman for a graduation gift, and I’ve been toying with the idea of using it to knock down the price of an XBox, which is the only current gen console I don’t own. However, if the X360 is actually going to provide backwards compatibility for 95+% of the XBox games, I’ll just wait. Anyone heard more than the “select games” statement made officially a while back?

I guess you can scrap those 95% but you might want to go to 1up and vote for the Xbox games you want to run on the Xbox 360, in addition to the (apparently very few) for which new executables come preloaded on the hard disk.

(edit: fixed URL, I had pasted mine and I had already voted on Set B…)

Well, considering I’m more likely to want to play obscure older XBox titles such as Panzer Dragoon Orta, I guess I need an XBox to do that. Bleh. I think the compatibility issue may hurt MS a bit in competing with a fully backwards compatible PS3, if such a thing comes to pass.

And with the Nintendo Revolution. Everyone wants a revolution!

At the risk of pulling Dave Long in here for another interminable pro-nintendo thread, I just don’t see the revolution as competing for the same mindshare as the X360, so I don’t think it’s backwards compatibility is a real factor in comparison. The PS3 is competing in the same gamespace, though, so I can see where it would be detrimental.

Although, in looking through XBox games, it seems there’s not a whole lot that doesn’t hit the mega-hit status that’s really interesting that’s not also available on either another console or the PC. (Oddworld stuff any good? Panzer Dragoon is the main one for me… Kung Fu Chaos maybe?)

Well, the fact that most good Xbox titles are also available on the PC or on other consoles is the reason why I don’t have an Xbox… but if Microsoft wasn’t so stupid they could at least have made sure that updated exes for all real exclusives ship with the Xbox 360. I can’t understand the omission of Panzer Dragoon Orta either, that’s one game that I still want to play. But I’m not going to buy an old Xbox for it.

I’m thinking Matt’s article on the Revolution controller may have skewed that poll somewhat.

I’m not sure backwards compatibility will be as big an issue as you might think, mainly because it looks like most of the XBox titles released this fall will work on either version of the 360. Why do you think they are releasing the Halo triple pack thing? As long as they cover the big titles most customers will be fine.

I remember reading in a thread on Console Gold (that I can’t find now) that Xbox 1 saves will not be transferable to the 360, either through a memory card, or, possibly, Live!. Apparently, many of us will have to kiss our progress goodbye. Obviously, that won’t affect your buying decision, mouselock.

OT, but, congratulations! Where’d you graduate from? What’d you study?

Is that a huge issue for back compatibility anyway, though? Seems to me that if you have a current version you can always just break out the older console. (Albeit it’s yet another spot to find in an increasingly full AV cabinet.)

OT, but, congratulations! Where’d you graduate from? What’d you study?

Thanks. University of Illinois, and patience or Materials Science and Engineering, depending on which question you’re asking. ;) (12 years in school is plenty as it turns out! :) )

I think mouselock should be banned for a week for using “mindshare” and “gamespace” in the space of like 10 words.

Well, that’s the rub. My AV switchbox only has 4 available hookups, which means one console from each major company, either from this generation or the next, and a VCR. I’ve only got room for 3 consoles and a VCR in my television cabinet anyway. Plus, it starts to feel a little ridiculous when there are more than 3 game systems and a computer in the same room.

Game save compatbility matters to me. I don’t want to have to reunlock all of my Unreal Championship 2 characters. I don’t want to lose my progress in KotoR or Phantom Dust. It’d be even worse for players of games that have a ton of unlocking. Racers and fighters are bad about this. I’d hate to lose most of a game’s content during the switch.

Oops, the first reply already linked the 1up poll. Here is a list of platinum hits on the xbox, not exactly an exciting list either

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/platinumhits

Please vote for Psychonauts on that list. Thank you.
(mostly because I want to try it on the 360 controller)

And Beyond Good & Evil.

At launch, it is still absolutely just select games. Most are no-brainers. Halo, Halo2, Knights of the Old Republic, Fable, probably Forza Motorsport, the Dead or Alive games and Ninja Gaiden… figure the top 10 review scores on GameRankings, unless they sold like crud, plus the top 10 sellers. MS hasn’t announced specific titles, except to say that Halo and Halo 2 are definites.

They’re also focusing on getting a few fan favorites in there - there’s a poll on 1up now, for example, that MS is actually paying attention to.

They’re going to add more backwards compatibility over time, who knows how fast. My guess would be that another 50-100 games will get added really quickly. Once you do the work to get a particular game working, there’s a good chance that those same emulation parameters will cause a dozen other games to work as well.

MS has stated publicly that the goal is to have ALL games running in time.

Game save compatbility matters to me. I don’t want to have to reunlock all of my Unreal Championship 2 characters. I don’t want to lose my progress in KotoR or Phantom Dust. It’d be even worse for players of games that have a ton of unlocking. Racers and fighters are bad about this. I’d hate to lose most of a game’s content during the switch.

Microsoft have stated there is no way to transfer saves/content from your XBox to the Xbox360.

Microsoft have stated there is no way to transfer saves/content from your XBox to the Xbox360.

Thats a load of Microsoft BS. If they are taking the time to get Xbox games working on the 360 I don’t see why they can’t make a system for this like through Xbox live. I mean in certain games you can upload things like race recordings in PGR2 and maps in Pariah for others to DL. They could offer for people to upload save games from the Xbox and then DL them to the 360’s HD through the Live.

I am guessing they probably have quite a few working already, but getting them tested and through the certification process takes a lot of time. For my money that’s where they true bottleneck probably is.

Yes, I know :)