Any qt3ers familiar with the Osaka/Kyoto area?

Hey, was Kinkakuji any fun? I’ve been to Kyoto twice now, and both times I visited the same 2 things, Nijo Castle (MUST GO, I never get sick of this place) and Kiyomizaderu (primary+middle school trip destination #1…come here you loli fans; fantastic view…both meanings…). But my “quote” stands. Kids are super annoying when they are on a class trip.

Oh, and if you’re girl-watching, I believe that 99% of the most beautiful Japanese girls/women are gathered in Tokyo. The best time I had was to sit in a cafe at the corner of one of those Ginza traffic crossings (all cars halt, then people crosses in all directions) watching people. Coffee was like 2-3 times Starbucks price; totally worth the view. I had a chance to visit Kyushu–>Osaka, and I just didn’t see as many cute girls as Tokyo. I hope you have better luck, though.

But the thing I miss the most? Walking around in the city at night. Japan is completely safe, so I would just wander around streets, maybe dropping into every open convenience store to browse the goods. A different kind of zen.

Hmm…that sounds like Excelsior Cafe in Ginza :)

Kinkakuji’s the better half of the Kin/Gin(Gold/Silver)Kakuji combo set but the temple itself is only so-so IMHO. The area that surrounds it is just beautiful though, and it’s very close to a number of other historical places…but the names sorta escape me right now.

Awesome trip! Can’t wait to go back again. (Flickr photoset)

Through an incredible strike of luck we met a local guy, Shuji, who was more than happy to guide us around. There are tons of cool places that are impossible for tourists to find by themselves.

I see the mandatory 100Yen umbrella. Did you bring that back?
And the bottles were only 100Yen? I thought the price went up to 120 or 150 Yen?

Awesome pics shang! Finding a local guide was a stroke of luck. We relied on a rough guide and random chance. Here’s my flickr photoset (Tokyo mostly, with 1 day in Kyoto).