Any super spooky stuff lined up for October?

I love scary stuff, and I borrowed an idea from @Rock8man last year to play a scary game in October - actually two, finally screwed my courage to the sticking point and played through Alien Isolation and also Walking Dead: A New Frontier. Both were really good (RIP Telltale). Think I might do something like that again.

But I stuck this in Everything Else because sometimes Tom and a guest or two write up some great stuff about scary movies on the front page. And heck, maybe there’s some great TV show I haven’t heard about or maybe even a spooky song like Thriller! I’m game.

Anyone got anything lined up? Anyone got any cool ideas? Anyone out there at all?

Our local RPG Meetup group is hosting its annual Dark Carnival event with 9 sessions spread across 2 blocks of spooktacular tabletop RPG goodness. I’ll be running one of them! Super excited for it! That’s in the middle of the month.

Later in the month, we’re also hosting a 2-day long charity event in support of Extra Life at a local game store with a total of 5 blocks of sessions (total of 15-20 games); a lot of us running for that are just dredging up sessions we’ve run for Dark Carnivals past (or this year’s iteration thereof), so it’s mostly horror-focused, too.

Finally, a friend of mine is continuing her annual tradition of pumpkin carving/bonfire/horror movies/drinking (ideally separating the first and last elements by as much time as possible) with a big blow-out at her place. Not quite a college dorm rager, but it’s always a ton of fun – last year, I made a pumpkin me! Minus the hair.

That all sounds awesome. So Dark Carnival is a horror-themed RPG? I’m horribly ignorant when it comes to RPGs.

I do however collect interesting looking modules - mostly Star Trek RPG stuff, but I came across a GURPS module for Car Wars crosses with a zombie theme. I think that sounds awesome, driving around with your armored car blasting zombies? It’s like they wrote it just for me.

Just our name for the event we host in October each year. Ostensibly, the Meetup group runs 4 major Quarterlies of this scale each year, and GMs can run any appropriate system or scenario at each. Mostly folks write their own scenarios for these events, though some folks choose to adapt pre-written adventure modules, too. THis year, we just have Dark Carnival in the fall and Crimson Boar (fantasy-themed event where each game should feature an inn or tavern named The Crimson Boar somehow) in the summer, as we’re retooling the Winter and Summer events. Which I’m trying very hard to spearhead as the newest Organizer of the group!

They’re a great deal of fun, and let our local pool of talented GMs show off their skills. RTR, the Meetup group, is all volunteer-based, and I’m continuously astonished how much great gaming arises from it. Lots of other stuff going on than the Quarterlies and charity events :-D

I’ve been playing with a GM who uses the DCC system at GenCon the last couple of years. DCC is a “retroclone,” inspired by older versions of D&D from the 70s and 80s, and it goes all in on the nonsense gonzo feel many people are nostalgic for from that era. His games in particular tend to involve crazy automobile deathmatches at some point, using extra rules for vehicles and piloting. They are amazing. I detail one in my write-up from this year’s Con. No zombies, but the crazy car combat might be super up your alley!

Full text, in case you don't feel like digging through the post over there

David is a fucking pro, and he whipped me, my three friends, and a father and his two teenaged sons through chargen lickety split, having us all roll not only for our death match vehicles (oh, did I mention this was a game of wanton vehicular slaughter?!), but also for the unique traits and backgrounds of our death pilots. When one of the kids rolled that his heavy mecha pilot (who inexplicably had guns for arms and then, with another random roll, ALSO legs) was a marketing rep for a large gun company, everyone at the table made extra rolls for new weapons.

https://imgur.com/f8ywpu5

My buddy James took on the role of a cult of ascended born killer-monks–sort of like murderous Mormons, he saw it–piloting a dune buggy. Cord controlled a set of cyborgs in another buggy who believed they were in a VR sim. Eric’s crew was made up of desperate priests who’d lashed a horrific demon into the engine compartment of his caddy dragster to contain it (and it would free itself if his vehicle was destroyed). The dad got another mecha pilot who also believed he was in a VR sim, while the younger son played a team of gun-addicted madmen riding in a kitted out ice cream truck of death.

When I rolled my random background for the four pilots of my heavily armored pickup truck, David’s face lit up. “This one is really dark,” he warned. Apparently I would be running a family of four who’d been horrifically mangled in an airplane crash, been rebuilt as cyborgs, and forced to compete in these deathmatches as an unending hell of bloodsport torment. Jeeeeesus.

So, of course, Ted and Marie, plus Teddy Jr. and Little Sally strapped on their SMGs, boarded the pickup, and rolled into the arena. Where they were promptly burnt to crispy ashes by Cord’s flamethrower-toting cyborgs. They respawned at the edge of the arena, made their way cautiously back to the idling pickup, and reboarded, with Ted Sr. declaring that this family vacation had become a family BBQ as they strapped themselves in atop the burnt out remnants of their former selves and dove back into the fray.

What followed was three hours of over-the-top gratuitious hyperviolence, horrible gun puns, and surprising last minute alliances and betrayals (after Ted Sr. got sniped by the driver of the ice cream truck, a resurrected mecha pilot was welcomed by the family as their new father figure who piloted them toward 3rd place). James quickly cottoned onto the fact that unseating drivers and stealing their rides earned as many points as killing drivers or destroying vehicles, so he swooped all around the arena, having his characters leap from whatever flaming pile of wreckage they’d last stolen to grab another. At one point, Eric’s driver-priests lost control of the demon in their dragster, and it raised itself into reality fully, sucking them into its grotesque biotech body, before it was plowed into by no fewer than two cars and re-banished.

In the end, James emerged victorious, doubling second-place Cord’s point total, and everyone agreed that David Coppoletti was a glorious madman whose games they would always play in forevermore.

IMG_0387

I would so play that.

Yall juggalos bro? :)

My girlfriend and I usually consult Qt3’s horror threads and recommendations for movies/shorts and other creepy stuff. I had a few games lined up for the darker evenings this year, namely Spirits of Xanadu, perhaps System Shock Enhanced, Bonbon and Stories Untold. I’d like to play Goetia too which was a @triggercut tip a couple of years back.

@divedivedive did you finish SOMA? I recall you playing using the new safe mode.

I did finish SOMA and enjoyed it very much. It’s quite unsettling and full of existential dread. My favorite.

Not really sure how safe mode really changes the game - the enemies still exist and wander around and can hurt you, I tested that. Maybe they’re just much less aggressive?

I miss 40 hour work weeks sometimes.

I do not miss not having full benefits, paid vacation, and days off. But man, it was fun writing spooky stuff up for the front page.

For me personally, I’m going to restart and try to solo the Arkham Horror LCG Dunwich campaign. That, and finish off Paul Tremblay’s “Devil’s Rock”. A couple of years ago I recommended strongly his book “Head Full Of Ghosts”, and I’m here to say that if you’re looking for a great scary, self-referential horror novel, “Head Full Of Ghosts” is the real deal. So, so, so damned good.

I’ve heard of this from someone else, but now I can’t remember the context. Hell, maybe you’ve recommended it in the past. Going to see if I can find a copy somewhere cheap.

I bought (well used my monthly credit) on the audiobook version of Head Full Of Ghosts last year. I have 108 audiobooks in my Audible library. Head Full Of Ghosts might be my favorite audiobook reading of any of them.

Netflix lining up a whole lot for October.

Just finished A Head Full of Ghosts and can strongly second your rec. Plus it’s $2 on Kindle, or was earlier today when I last checked.

Awesome. Was wondering if it was something that would resonate with you. I figured it was probably definitely up your alley!

My homeowners tax and HOA fees are both due in October.

I didn’t really remember anything about it other than people recommending it so I went in sort of expecting a full on supernatural spookfest. And of course it’s way more ambiguous than that but god, is it ever pure horror even if it was all just people.

OK, you guys talked me into it, picked up A Head Full of Ghosts on Kindle.