Any teamspeak experts in the audience?

Basically, I’d like to know if there’s a way to run teamspeak audio only to a headset without disrupting/altering audio on my PC in any other way, perhaps with a second sound card.

I have a great set of PC speakers, and while I’m interested in trying out the whole teamspeak thing, I’m not willing to give up my speakers for it. Anyone got any ideas/advice?

Run it through a 2nd computer?

– Xaroc

This probably won’t work too well unless you put a mask over your face. The folks on TeamSpeak aren’t going to want to hear your wonderful audio, even if you do.

So you want a setup similar to Xbox Live? I think Gary Whitta made a post asking the same thing a month or two ago, check that thread maybe?

Yep…just like that…should have said that in the first place, sorry. I’ll look for Gary’s thread.
Yes, it looks like gary is already doing what I want (using a headset for teamspeak only). Now I just have to find out how.

Paging Mr Whitta in 3…2…1…

Back when I played Counter-Strike I wrote a script that would mute the game volume when I held down the “talk” key and then unmute when I let up. Worked fine, allowed me to use 5.1 speakers and a desktop mic.

PUSH TO TALK.

That’ll be 5 cents please.

Its called a USB soundcard. I use that with Ventrilo, mainly because my abit nforce2 audio mic jack is craptacular. I picked up one with a sennheiser headset. Not too fond of the headphones (if only plantronics would make an xbox like mic for the pc…) but the usb soundcard is nice. After some tweaking, Vent and XP had no problems having only the usb for output from specific programs (aka vent) and using the only usb for recording.

Also, use push to talk. Its much easier on everyone. :)

I bought a Plantronics DSP 500 headset for my PC to use with Battlefield 2 VOIP for my new computer. But the built-in sound on the Asus A8N-E is SO BAD that I use it for everything. I seriously dont know how people can use onboard audio, its worse than I ever could have imagined.

You have to use a USB headset or a Bluetooth headset, or a seperate audio card. Either one of those things will seperate the audio channel from the game sound. Works great.

Gee, how come I’m not getting paged? I’m the one who volunteered to walk Gary through how to do his setup on Teamspeak.

Well, here goes:

1. You’re going to need a different “sound device” that you can use for Teamspeak. If all you’ve got is built in audio or a single sound card and you’re plugging into that sound card with your speakers, then you’re out of luck. I recommend buying a cheap USB headset (e.g. the Logitech one for the Playstation 2) or, if you want to get fancy like Gary and co, a Bluetooth headset and dongle work fine.

2. Connect your new headset sound device, and make sure Windows recognizes it. You can tell that it’s recognized if you can go to the Control Panel’s “Sounds and Audio Devices” panel and see it listed on the Voice tab’s “Voice playback Default device:” dropdown. You don’t need to set it as your default device, it’s just good to know it’s there.

3. Open up Teamspeak, then choose the “Settings” menu and then the “Options” submenu. You will see two boxes at the bottom of the window that opens, labelled “Input Device” and “Output Device”. Select your newly installed USB or Bluetooth headset for both. Click OK.

You’re done. Though I do recommend that you go with Roger’s suggestion and enable Push to Talk, as your Teamspeak compatriots will not want a constant barrage of your speaker-emanating sounds effects. Push to talk is found under the “Settings” menu’s Sound “Input/Output Settings” menu item

Enjoy.

Sounds perfect. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Just wish it was as easy as “Push to talk automatically mutes your speakers” option. Otherwise, I love teamspeak.

Sam

Just curious, but why do people pick Teamspeak over in-game audio options? I understand the use re: WoW and whatnot, but I’ve seen a lot of CS:S clans or BF:2; really any [LETTER][LETTER][COLON][SYMBOL] game; that use Ventrollio or Teamspeak rather then just the built in Audio.

Any reason for this?

Chris Woods

Well with BF2, I know you need to hold down a button to talk to people in game, with Teamspeak or Vent you dont need to do that. And also in BF2 you cant talk to other squads, so using Teamspeak/Vent to talk to clanmates in other squads can help a lot with coordination.

It’s just a wee bit more flexible if you have a lot of people.

I use both. TWO buttons!

I bought a Plantronics DSP 500 headset for my PC to use with Battlefield 2 VOIP for my new computer. But the built-in sound on the Asus A8N-E is SO BAD that I use it for everything. I seriously dont know how people can use onboard audio, its worse than I ever could have imagined.

I have the same mobo, and I find the audio to be not only fine, but quite good. Weirdness.

My old BF 1942 clan still uses Ventrilo on Battlefield 2 just because that’s what they’ve always used. It also lets them chat when the game is loading and automatically excludes anyone on public channels.

but I’ve seen a lot of CS:S clans or BF:2; really any [LETTER][LETTER][COLON][SYMBOL] game; that use Ventrollio or Teamspeak rather then just the built in Audio.

Any reason for this?

A lot of the servers have VOIP disabled, there are some total fuckwits around the place, especially on public servers that I really don’t want to listen to, thanks very much.

On BF2 we often have at least two squads, one for the plane whores (nothing worse than a guy in a single seat fighter ending up being squad leader when you’re getting pounded) and the other(s) for the ground pounders. On team speak, we can still easily co-ordinate between the squads. That and we can still chat with other clan members who might be about the place, but not necessarily in the game.

Yeah, I saw that dsp 500 but the sennheiser was cheaper and I dont have to use those headphones with the usb dongle, I can use any mic/headset. I prefer something that is only 1 ear so I can hear game sounds from my main speakers. I’ve had no major problems with my abit soundstorm for the digital audio, its just the analog jacks that suck.