Any way to delete attachements in Outlook?

Here’s my problem. The place I’m at only gives me 80mb of storage on Exchange. I’m a tech writer so I deal with large documents frequently and fill up my mailbox often.

I’d just stick everything in a PST, but I’m a big fan of “flag for follow-up” and I can’t figure out how to get a follow-up view that that does both my inbox and the PST.

Usually, when I get an attachment I download it to my project folder and mark the attachment as a follow-up so I don’t forget about it. The only workaround I’ve been able to do is forward the mail to me, sans attachment, but then I lose the original sender as the “sent from” person.

Any ideas?

Ask for more space?

Not gonna happen. They don’t up quotas for anyone.

http://www.rsbr.de/Software/OASniffer/index_eng.htm

Searched google for outlook attachment and this was third result. :-)

What version of Outlook are you using? We’re running Outlook 2003 SP2 here, and all I have to do is right-click on an attachment and select Remove.

Right-click is your friend.

You could even go so far as creating a Task and insert the e-mail in question, then delete the entire e-mail+attachment. Overkill, probably.

Remove is grayed out.

I’ll have to download this and try it. Thanks.

You have to upgrade to do that. :)

It’s teasing you, Mark. Are you going to take that from Outlook?

Fuck no. I’m going to use my Mac.

I remember Eudora used to just stick all email attachments in a single folder, and you could cherry-pick delete them at will. Too bad the interface just got comparatively suckier over the years.

Or wait, was that Pocomail instead of Eudora? Either way, it was a good feature on an aging client.

Do you have the email open in its own window, or are you using the Reading pane?

BINGO! We have a winner. Thanks, dude, didn’t think of opening it up.

Yeah, I don’t understand why this isn’t standard for every POP client. It seems such a no-brainer to keep attachments separate from your mail folder(s).

Hell, it’s pretty much the only reason I still use Eudora.

Remove is a great thing…

You can just pull your e-mail off of the server and store it locally - then you can have several GB of e-mail folders if you want.

I think it’s under the TOOLS menu. Highlight your e-mail account and for delivery set it to a local .PST file. (You can create the new .PST file on the same screen). Then make sure your e-mail is set to automatically deliver new e-mail to this new local file.

You’ll have to pull down your old e-mail manually. If you access your e-mail from several computers then this will be an issue as it will remove the e-mail from the server when it pulls it down.

Just removing the attachment will solve the problem for me without having to make a lot of adjustments–I’m addicted to “flagged for follow-up” so I’d have to build searches for that, and I’m used to where it is.

All i really wanted to do was get rid of the attachments.