Anyone do fencing?

Man, kendo sure does look cool, with their bamboo swords and heavy gear. But I didn’t care for the actual sport, as you have to call out your target ahead of time in order to score. That’s why when you see a match it appears the two opponents are yelling at each other all the time. They are. Kinda cool but I’m a sneaky fencer, I like the element of surprise.

My all time favorite move in fencing is called the “beat attack”. Basically when you start out you give your opponents sword a terrific bang unexpectedly. A good portion of the time their sword flies out of their hand. Usually the judge stops the match and even disregards any followup hit. But it sure does rattle opponents! Usually only works once, but after that they grip their sword tighter which cuts down on their tip control a bit.

Man, I miss fencing. They don’t call it “physical chess” for nothing. :)

Hey I’m down. Going with someone could be the motivation I need to get off my ass for once. It’s far from you though.

This is the event and host. He does 1 newbie class per month and then more advanced ones on other sundays.

Interesting! Looks like he does “mass” combat stuff, too, suggesting an SCA background. I do not know him.

I am disappointed this thread did not give me home improvement stories and advice.

Not too bad on a Sunday morning I think - let me make sure I can do that day & I’m down for it.

I fenced in high school and college.

It’s a good lower-body workout. You spend the entire time with your legs flexed, so your thighs will get stronger. It’s not great for sustained aerobics in my experience as it’s fairly stop-and-start. But if you do a lot of footwork drills and parry-riposte drills (which you will, if you want to get any good), then it can certainly wipe you out.

It’s moderately expensive equipment-wise. You need a mask, a weapon, some tools and whatnot for replacing blades and electrical connectors and things. You need leggings, jackets, gloves, and if you are fencing electric with saber or foil, a ‘lamé’ (metallic coverlet that defines the areas where a touch is valid). It won’t break the bank but you should be prepared to lay out a couple hundred bucks, I should think. Also, fencing clubs (also called salles, because fencers like to use French words) may have memership fees. All that said, I somehow managed to do it when I was dead broke in college.

Fencers tend to skew geeky, D&D-y, and techy, so they’re generally a pretty good culture fit for Qt3 types. Most of the real life friends I made in college were made through fencing, and a few are still my friends decades later.

Is it fun? Umm. As with anything you set out to get good at, it can develop a fascination. You want to get better so you practice. I used to randomly break out into footwork practice all the time in college, which I’m sure made me look ridiculous. When you execute correctly on the things you’ve drilled, there’s a rush. That said, I do find there is a difference compared to the only other sport I have played extensively, tennis. In tennis, the core physical act of the game – striking a ball with a racket – is for me intrinsically pleasurable. In fencing, advancing and retreating and lunging and parrying don’t carry that same pleasure. So it’s less ‘fun’ in that sense, I think. But that’s very much a subjective call.

Fencing is not easy and it is very footwork based. A lot of the drills are just about maintaining distance and building up leg strength, and you don’t even need a weapon in hand to do them. When you actually start to do parry-riposte sequences and then actual bouts, you will find it is very different from stage fighting. The movements are much smaller and much less telegraphed. To the untrained eye it can seem as if not much is happening at all.

I fenced in college, and more recently I did about a year of kendo in L.A. here: https://lckateam.wixsite.com/lcka

Great experience, awesome group of people. I didn’t like getting hit in the head with a stick. I’m on hiatus because depression keeps me home nights and weekends.

Thanks for the responses all. I think I’m going to try it out for a week or two when I get back from vacation in a few weeks.

Man that took me back. I used to do footwork walking to class. Hell, I actually still do the “squat low and hold while in the en garde position” one and the “tippy tappy real quick back and forth” drill when I’m working out sometimes. Leg day!

@Gordon_Cameron, did you drill with tennis balls hanging from a string? Those drills taught me point control and being more fluid with my thrusts than anything else. Oh, and I miss flicking lightswitches, that was my favorite.

Nope, never did that. The vast majority of drills I did with a weapon in hand were two-person parry/riposte type stuff, or working on disengages etc. I can’t really recall anything else. Sounds like a good idea though.

Sparring and drills are by far the superior method to get better. But sometimes you have to practice outside of practice. :)

Man, this thread makes me want to find a salle near me.

In university, I would practice hitting an orange sitting on my desk in my dorm room. After practicing I would dispose of the target by eating it.

I’m out the next two sundays they are doing it but am free for their April class.

I found the mental part of the game much more satisfying than any other sporty type thing I’d tried. You’re constantly sizing up your opponent’s next move while at the same time developing a strategy to coerce him into creating an opening you can exploit. It was beyond exhilarating when tournament time came.

Ok sounds good - should be able to do that one!

So glad I found this thread, I too have been bitten by the HEMA bug (a friend runs a weekly school in CT). In just over seven months it’s completely transformed my upper body (and thighs lol), made my heart and lungs healthier from the cardio, and most importantly helped me break through the confidence barrier thrown up by actually having to square off with another person and get hit/hit back. Huge boon all around, AND you get to learn how to swordfight as a bonus ;)

I used to fence in high school.
It is quite 1 sided on your body so don’t forget to work out your “off” side.

Or learn fencing both sides!

Fighting lefties sucks. Breaks all your expectations and plays, when you are anticipating strikes from the opposite side.

Source: our instructor is a leftie and the “first student” ambidextrous like the two rogues above.

I never did take any action on this thread, due to covid. Hopefully when things calm down with Covid I can try it out.