Anyone drawing on tablet?

Yep, picked it up yesterday!

Huion still hasn’t turned up though…

Which Huion?

Went for the HS611 as it seemed the best compromise between cost and size.

Purchased it from AliExpress as it was 33% cheaper than buying locally, but it’s been 20 days now and my daughter and I are both wishing we’d just bought it from the shop down the road!

Before Sidecar was a thing, duetdisplay.com is $10 to use your iPad as an additional screen wired. $20/year IAP for wireless and $30/year to use it as a drawing tablet.

AliExpress is literally the slow boat from China.

Just wanted to throw out another cheaper brand to consider:

https://www.xp-pen.com/

This <$80CAD one has tilt/shading support to from a brand called Artisul:

https://www.amazon.ca/Artisul-M0610Pro-Battery-Free-Breathing-Compatible/dp/B07Z1JMQRR/

Your posts just act as a reminder that my tablet still hasn’t arrived… :)

Was your order FBA or through something like AliExpress?

Direct from AliExpress.

The expected delivery window was March 6-13th but I’m guessing with Covid things are taking longer than usual.

Tablet finally turned up on April 8th!

Despite the long wait it seems really good for the price. Plenty large enough and was simple to set up.

Anyone thinking about getting into the drawing game on iPads or Android tablets might want to check Amazon and the like for specific protective screen foil that has a rougher, paper-like texture to it. Might make the experience notably more enjoyable than sketching on the completely sleek glass surface. After all, specialized drawing tablets from Wacom and Huion have a rougher texture to them for reasons.

Do you have specific recommendation or experience with one? I bought one ten years ago for my old HP drawing laptop hybrid, and I think they marketted it more as an anti-glare screen cover, but it certainly gave me a nicer texture for the pen… but unfortunately it really compromised the image quality, giving a weird low-res jpg color shimmer to the screen, and it was hard on the eyes.

This is the one a friend if mine is using. Only have an Amazon Germany link though:

It’s also labeled as anti-glare primarily. But being an Art Director, he tends to be picky - and if it works for him, I’d guess it does suffice.

Yeah I just did a search after seeing your post, and it seems the more premium ones are for ipad. Otherwise, I get all the generic anti-glare protectors like I had been using, with reviews that match my experience. Unfortunately, my tablet is 15.6".

I did find this one, which seems like it should fit any generic flat tablet. Reviews seem good for the paper feel, but brutal on your nibs, it seems.

Bump!

Any suggestions for online resources on learning to draw, with a focus on portraiture and mostly traditional mediums - pencils, charcoal, acrylic and watercolours?

As long as the thread is bumped… any suggestions on art apps for iPad? We recently got a pro and are my kids want to use it for digital art. They’ve been trying out Medibang, which seems fine, but wanted to see if there’s something better before I buy the full version.

My daughter really likes Procreate. I have no idea how that it stacks up to Medibang, but she likes it better than the Adobe apps.

I haven’t bought any in about 2 years but before that I compulsively bought them all. Lemme look. No shady, SAAS or knockoff apps for me, only the reputable ones:

-Artrage
-Autodesk Sketchbook (this product has just changed hands on the desktop side and went from commercial product to free and back to commercial recently)
-Clip Studio Paint (makers of desktop Manga Studio)
-Linea Sketch
-Procreate
-Tayasui Sketches
-Pixelmator
-Sketch Club (one of the originals, made by a friend of a friend and more of a social aspect)
-Zen Brush 3

+1 from my daughter as well