Anyone else having 360 d-pad problems?

You couldn’t be more wrong if you typed the sentence backwards.

I hated the genesis 6-button controller’s d-pad. Same crap sega stuff. Press a direction and god forbid you have wide thumbs. Down? Maybe it’s down, maybe it’s down right or down left, but it doesn’t matter, you’ll hit them all!

I think you’ve already shown your complete ignorance on the issue, so we’ll leave it at that. :)

Yea because Dave is the expert on this. How was I to know during all these years of using my Xbox controller that my experience with the D-pad really sucked. Thanks so much for telling me all those hours of gaming I did really wern’t that fun Dave…

Glad I could finally enlighten you to something that’s considered pretty much “the truth”. Lord knows you’re so screwed up with your opinions otherwise that having one good one in your head is a nice upgrade.

What about third party controllers. Any better dpads on those?

My D pad is somewhat inaccurate (really noticeable in Oblivion… always choosing the heal spell in combat when I really want to drop some fireballs). Also the d pad creaks on one of my gamepads.

Sorry Chuck, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it every time he brings it up, whatever you think of Dave Long, he has never been more correct than when he’s talking about the Genesis 6-button d-pad. Best ever by a wide margin.

AFAIK, MS does NOT allow any wireless 3rd party controllers for the 360. So who the hell is going to go back to wired?

I have to agree with Dave on this one. The Sega 6-button is easily one of my top 5 controllers.

It’s (almost) a list thread!
My vote for best D-Pad goes to Microsoft Sidewinder, the very original. Super easy on the thumb, yet precise.
I currently use the Saitek P880 on the PC. Its D-pad is similar to the sidewinder, but is a bit too big for me.

Ugh that was one of the worst d-pads ever IMO.

Thumbs down on the 360 d-pad. The best of the Xbox ones was the one on the controller-S. PS2 has a good one. NES was very good. Dreamcast wasn’t bad.

The 360 controller is a goddamn travesty.

It can barely navigate the Dashboard without misreading what you’re trying to do. In Streetfighter/DOA4, it’s just unusable.

I really hope the MS comes out with a new rev of the controller and fixes the DPad. So many Live Arcade games depend on it, I’m amazed they haven’t addressed it yet.

What kind of weirdos remember how good or bad the d-pads they used several years ago were?

Because all the ones that come after suck, but yet we are all forced to use them. (e.g. Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Gamecube, SNES, various other different PC gamepads…) Typically followed by anecdotes about Street Fighter 2 Fireball/Dragon Punches not working on said sucky pads.
I would say, what kind of weirdos DOESN’T remember?

Does that mean we won’t have the option of wireless 3rd party controllers for the 360?

It’s not the end of the world, I suppose, but the default controllers aren’t perfect for everyone. I would think Microsoft would have learned that lesson with the original xbox controllers; I loved the size of the original controller, but many folks swear by the S-type controller form factor.

You are correct.

I loved the size of the original controller and liked the S but hated where they put the black and white buttons. Now that they fixed that on the 360 controller I think it is pretty much perfect.

It means you DON’T have the option. I’m not sure if they’ll allow it later or what is so hardcore about making a non-licensed one. But right now, apparently, they are so sure their controlelr is the best shit ever, you can’t use any other with it. IMO it should’ve supported xbox 1 shit, even if they made me buy an adaptor. I mean, I had to sell HOTD3. That is bullshit, they dont even make guns for this thing…