Anyone else having trouble gaming right now?

Yeah, that and The Division 2 are the poster children for 16GB of RAM.

This is me. As soon as I come across something that irritates me, the game is done. A non skippable tutorial, a town that is way too big, too much conversation, a mechanic I hate, too many puzzles, save points. Not respecting my time. I sound like grandpa simpson. I don’t think Im a gamer anymore. :frowning:

I am having trouble gaming. I think it is that sitting in office just fries me. I have been playing a bit of the Sims 4. I also don’t think that maybe playing a game where a Sim doesn’t like to leave the house might not be the best for me.

I do want to finish Shadow of the Tomb Raider on my PS4, but, meh.

I was away from social media for a couple weeks, and it made it easier to play games without being distracted/irritated by small things. I don’t think I actually enjoyed the games more than normal, but I was able to make a lot more progress quickly.

I noticed I am playing a lot more WoW these days. Some of it is due to the 100% xp boos running until Monday. I realized though that running around WoW gets me virtually out of the house in a way that even a sandbox single-player game does not.

My gaming time has definitely dwindled. Covid-19 hasn’t affected me much. My work is considered essential, so I’m still working. I live alone so no problems social distancing, and outside of work, my only social release is these forums I guess. What sapped my gaming interests is depression. I decided to focus myself on a project, some real physical goal or accomplishment to help me out. So I decided to build a new PC, and add some complexity by watercooling it. What I didn’t consider is having a foot firmly entrenched in a nihilistic mindset… the pointlessness of gaming if I have a bright shiny PC to play on soon enough (ie: months time maybe). And just the pointlessness of me and what I am. So everything feels like a struggle to see through.

I did read a post upthread about exercising. Yes, mindlessly lugging iron in the gym or running for no reason won’t get you far unless there’s some massive endorphin hit. Like what I wrote with my watercooling PC goal, set some sort of reason for doing the exercise as a motivator. My own motivation with running right now (seeing as the gyms are closed) is to transform myself into a morning runner. I’ve spent a long time running in the afternoons, morning is harder because mornings suck, but I know longterm there are some advantages to saying “no” to the seductive lure of the snooze button.

@Strato I’ve been in that same boat too. Once you’ve dedicated yourself to upgrading… why game in diminished capacity until it’s done? You have to imagine any cool thing you encounter would be sooo much better on the new PC.

What helps me is using my PC for hobbies/projects such as small software, small gaming projects, game mods, etc. I have several projects dating back to the early 2000s, so I can cycle to the next one when I get bored/tired with a single one of them. Just “playing” a game and not tinkering with it isn’t very satisfying.