Anyone else playing Demon's Souls?

You can go to any of the 5 arch stones and make progress through their respected areas after clearing 1-1. Sort of unique in the ‘Souls’ games. There is only one blocker in world 1 which requires you clear another world completely first in order to progress. I think they didn’t want you entering a late game area too early and getting frustrated.

Does the difficulty increase with each world? Or, as you get to the different levels of each world?

Like is 1-1 comparable to 2-1 and 3-1, and then 1-2, 2-2, 3-2 are more difficult?

Should I even worry about this? haha

It’s more of a survivability thing - the levels generally become longer and have tougher enemies.

I would say 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1 are on the same level.
4-1 is tougher but there’s a nice weapon near the start if you are struggling (it is good for any build near the start of the game, but better for magic users later on).
3-1 and 5-1 are… experiences. Leave them till you’ve done the others, I would say.

I would not worry about the red eyed knight for now.

The rumor that they have Demon’s Souls being released for the PS4 as a remaster continues to spread on various websites. This time because someone said, as a hint, that the soul still burns. Now that, to me, would be an indication that Soul Calibur is getting a remaster, right? Isn’t that a phrase from the Soul Calibur games? That the Soul still burns? Why would that be a hint that they’re working on a remastered Demon’s Souls?

Sorry for the bump! No new Demon’s Souls news, just me back on my bullshit.

Quarantine has me pining for those wonderful months last year, playing and posting about dark souls, et.al.

Picked up right where I left off after vanguard, but this time i’m playing on the private server. The messages, ghosts, bloodstains, such an improvement over playing in an “empty” world.

Slowly wound my way through Stonefang Tunnel (2-1?) and slammed my face up against the Armor Spider a dozen times. I can see how to beat it, but I just don’t have the stamina/health to do it yet. My shield negates nearly all of the fire damage, but I take quite an endurance hit, and once i’m up in its face i can take maybe two leg swipes before having to run back to heal.

Pretty hard fight as melee!

Instead of getting continually discouraged, I made my way back to 1-2 post phalanx and plowed right on through. Serious Undead Burg vibes from this level. The Tower Knight was a tricky one, and I burned way too much healing, but I managed to eek it out in one attempt.

Currently lost in the maze of the Tower of Latria.

As I may or may not have said upthread, I find this game very easy to slide right into. All of the familiar DS touchstones are there. I’m missing the jump attack a bit, but all in all I feel like i’m holding my own. There are some pretty bad framedrops at times, but nothing i’m not used to from having played Bloodborne.

I do wish I had an estus flask. I’m sooo reluctant to heal on initial passes through unfamiliar territory, something i’m trying to get better at, but it does make everything way more tense.

It’s very cool seeing the roots of all the subsequent FROM games nestled into this one.

I was also reluctant to heal my first time playing the game, but when I went through it last year I said “fuck it” and I don’t think I ever really ran out of herbs. Ran low for sure, but there are various ways of getting your hands on more of them.

I only played the game for a few years, so I didn’t get very far into it (1-1,1-2,2-1,2-2,3-1,3-2,4-1,5-1 are the ones I completed I believe), but so far I’d never run short of herbs, and had always used them when needed.

Certainly nothing like Bloodborne, where I constantly have to go back and do runs to get more blood vials. But then, that didn’t start happening until late in Bloodborne, so maybe that’s what I had in store for myself for Demon’s Souls as well if my PS3 hadn’t stopped working.

Oh wow okay, that’s encouraging, thanks guys.

I never really had a problem with vials in BB until late (and then i would just farm that poor soul banging on the gate by Ludwig).

Can you kill the drake in 2-1?

Hell yeah, you can. It is, however, extremely tedious, much like killing the one in Dark Souls.

Yeah, it’s definitely better than BB re the healing items.

There is a good starter weapon in 4-1, it’s worth popping over there and seeing what’s what before heading to the other levels. Even more so if you are a magic user, but it works well for early game melee too.

oh nice! great tip, will check it out. World 4 is shadowmen?

Yes, and the weapon he’s talking about is fairly close to the beginning, too. There’s another good one in the first part of Valley of Defilement but it’s a little further in and harder to find.

Quoting this old message from July 2009 when I was playing this game. I’d completely forgotten that most of the messages in Demon’s Souls at the time were “This is Harsh, evaluate me”. (And the reason for that message).

Demon’s Souls remastered with the cut Archstone added back in as a PS5 exclusive. Do it.

Finally managed to take down the Armor Spider. Needed a few more levels and an upgraded weapon. After getting seriously owned by those skeletons in 4-1, I managed to nab the Crescent Flachion (which I hope is the weapon you guys were talking about) and much to my surprise it seems to do more damage right out of the gate vs. my LS+5. So I guess i’ll be putting some points into magic for the scaling.

I finished off The Tower of Latria (3-1) and managed to defeat the boss of 4-1, though it looks like i have a lot more exploring to do in that area before i move on. Got seriously lost in the boreholes of 2-2, met up with an old friend (fu patches), and messed around a bit in 3-2.

I guess i’ll keep plugging away at 2-2 … but this world isn’t my favorite. Way too easy to get lost. I do like the non-linearity of this game, but i’m finding it hard to keep track of my progress without writing things down.

Totally agree.
I guess Demon souls needs a remake for modern consoles with a few minor adjustments and a fresh coat of paint…

I’m still bummed that there is no way to play this on a PS4. I’d love a remake or at least a PSNow version. :(

Demon’s Souls vs Bloodborne. They nailed the formula with DS. Every area is so distinct from each other. I never get lost for long. In Bloodborne on the other hand, when I come back to the game 1 week later, I am totally lost. A lot of stuff looks like the same, unfortunately. Probably to show the labyrinthian character of Yarnham, but still … I am not too far into BB so I will see…

I love Bloodborne but my biggest complaint against it is the sameness of the environments compared to DS3 or as you say Demon’s Souls.