Anyone else playing Demon's Souls?

That is the boss like the one in the DS3 Ringed City DLC? Simply by putting down a white summon sign you volunteer to be the boss.

Yep, I first played Demon’s Souls after the servers got turned off, so I never experienced it and had to fight the AI, but the boss in DS3 was a nice callback and I did that one more than once.

I was a little surprised when I got summoned in as the boss. I quickly learned to keep the boss item you are given in my inventory when I put a white summon sign down.

what’s that? Never heard of it.

There is a nagging issue I have with the remake regarding coop play and world tendency. Some items, areas open up if you have reached pure white or pure black tendency. However, if you die in body form the world will shift towards black and get harder.

So if I want to open the gate in 1-1 I don’t want to die at all cost in body form. So I cannot summon other people. And if I offer my summon help, nobody is there to summon me for the same reason.

In the original game, this was handled a bit different by using an average server world tendency. So it happened once, that suddenly the gate in 1-1 was open because my server reached pure white or black and I could access the gate. That was great.

This server world tendency is not part of the remake. So I am not inclined to play co-op, because I don’t want to shift towards black. Pure black and the enemies are harder and some more black phantoms appear.

I will test if I can help someone with Maneater. That’s the boss I think I am going to get help, too.

Anyone have issues with world tendencies, too?

In DS3 you can get an item, that as Spear of the Church you can use. But it has to be in your ready inventory (where your estrus is) to use. You can also get a second item that will speed stamina recovery and help your defense. It is gained by trading in covenant items.

Edit: The Ritual Spear Fragment and Young Grass Dew

I’m sure it’s been mentioned before, but world tendency is a terrible awful system. I may have fucked myself by dying in human form several times without realizing it affects WT. If anyone is playing and wants to set up some password-based invasions let me know.

Wow, I think we played different games.

I am using a phone for the first time and I now know what a crapshoot that can be. :)

That post was about DS3 though.

Estus

I’m pretty sure there are entire server farms dedicated to holding all the bits about this conversation topic.

spent the weekend dying in the Tower of Latria. Still a brutal place. And I got lost so many times. And then I had to re-learn how to beat that jerk phantom in front of the Fools Idol boss. And then I died a couple of times to the fools idol.

I remembered that fight to be easier.

Sorry, Red Dragon, you have to go. I need safe passage over the bridge. 50 Arrows and a short bow +5 did it.

Tower Knight was easy on the second try. I still don’t feel ot to fight the spider boss, so Shrine of Storms is it … World 4 is my favourite place in this game. Followed by the palace.

This game is eating up my time again. I did Shrine of Storms before the spider boss. I want to be overpowered before going to the spider.

The Adjudicator is not a hard boss if you don’t try to fight him from above, because his tongue will get you. It got me. Once. And the run to the boss is very long, so I looked up a shortcut, and there actually is one. An unofficial shortcut including rolling off a wall. Wow, it worked! On the 2nd try the boss and his little bird were no problem. Now I feel better, spider boss here I come…

I could never pull off that shortcut! No matter how I approached that little wall thing, I just couldn’t figure it out. That run to Adjud. is brutal!

I unequpied my kite shield, and then I was light enough (wizard guy, not much armor).

World tendency question:

I want to shift the Prison to pure white in order to get the Dragon Crusher or whatever that sword is called. I think I died while human once here before I knew that was a no-no. So, without begging help from a reddit thread or something, I think I can do it solo by:

• I’ve beaten boss 1 (but crucially not boss 2), so have access to area 3-2 where the primeval demon is.
  • Get to pure black tendency in order to make Black Phantom Rhydell and the primeval demon appear.
  • Without returning to the Nexus (so I can stay pure black), defeat both BP Rhydell and the primeval demon. That should shift me most of the way to pure white.
  • Return to the Nexus then come back and beat boss 2, which should give me pure white, right?

I think that should work.

Man, it’s been a while, my first 100% trophy of this game was Jan 2010! I didn’t even remember where the primeval demons were at this point, but the wiki still has the same maps I remember :)

After Ryd(y)ell and primeval, but before you go back to 3-2 to fight the boss, remember to die in the nexus again, so you don’t accidentally die as human in 3-* and -1 it again before Manseater dies.

Thanks, it totally worked. Got world 3 to pure white… but the Dragon Smasher is in 2-3, not 3-2. Doh. Got it anyway and it rocks!

Thanks! I actually died before going back to take out Rydell and the primeval, but I did have to go back to the Nexus to shift world tendency to mostly white before fighting Maneater. (And oh man, Maneaters were total pushovers with the Dragon Smasher. 4 hits each. Took out the first while he was summoning the second.)

Yeah sorry I was a bit confused because I knew the smasher was in world 2 but I assumed I misunderstood.

Glad you got it though! That was my main weapon throughout my playthrough. El Ka-bong!

I beat the game last week. Once I had the Dragon Bone Smasher all the bosses were pretty trivial. I did the whole questline (that would be impossible to figure out without a guide) to get Curse Weapon from the witch, but I didn’t even really need to use it. The game’s difficulty peaks at about 5-1 and then gets easier and easier from there. I really enjoyed it though and glad I got through it. (This is my third attempt over the years.) The remake is stunningly gorgeous. Comparing it to visuals from the original it’s amazing how great it looks.