Anyone here done hydroponic lettuce growing inside?

I don’t, though I had considered getting one. A bad run in with fungus gnats from a sketchy mint plant from the grocery store this summer means that my gf is now VERY opposed to anymore indoor plants, unfortunately.

My bad, I thought you were the one that owned one of the small home systems. Someone did but I forgot who apparently.

That was me. The Aerogarden 7 pod. I replied up thread to Jeff.

Is there enough for 1 good salad a week if you don’t grow herbs?

If you grow lettuce this should be easy. We usually had 2 pods of lettuce growing, and that was enough for 2 salads every few days most of the time. If you used 7 pods for lettuce, I’d imagine you could do every meal for a good long while. Just take a few leaves off each plant.

Which model do you have?

Mines a few years old, so does not seem to be currently offered, but this is close to it (if a larger deck)

EDIT: Yeah, here’s my model which is discontinued. It appears the above was the replacement

Am I kidding myself with some window planters and a cheapest grow light? Just want to grow some herbs over the winter. Thyme, basil, dill, cilantro, the easy stuff.

I haven’t done hydroponics but I think the oxygenation is what matters. Plants actually breathe oxygen through roots and pump put co2 through leaves. Plants are carbon neutral as they grow, they do not produce oxygen. It seems that’s bacteria or whatever that’s doing the job.

The Amazon lungs of earth thing doesn’t seem to be true (biodiversity concerns are of course real, as well as any other knock off concerns from web of life)

Interesting! My nearly-degree in biology fails me here, sounds like despite the actual plant itself being mostly made up of carbon from the air it’s still a net CO2 producer due to soil action. Might have to drill some holes in my monit . . . er, planters.

Leaves = Oxygen by day, CO2 by night. Photosynthesis and Respiration. Though technically Respiration happens all the time, but without Photosynthesis most plants create more CO2 than they use (at night).

The only practical advice I know for indoor seedlings is this shape makes all the plants cluster on top of each other, even with a reflector shield. They seem to have long shape LED ones now, that may avoid that problem. Depends how big the stuff you are growing is.

Also, don’t let the plants get too close to the light (1"-2"). My tomatoes have burnt before from too much light. Or maybe it was LED temperature? So you have to adjust the height a lot.

That’s an excellent point. I can see how a singler point of light that never moves is going to make everything cluster right up to it. Wonder how stable that quadrapod light is?

Not that I have any experience growing things in bedrooms in college and I will absolutely disavow any knowledge of said horticulture hydroponics, but to grow shit indoors you want a metal halide light. It’s like reproducing a tiny sliver of the sun in your house.

Many businesses are replacing these by the truckload and converting over to LED so these can be had for very cheap. Sometimes advertised as high-bay lights, I would recommend 1000 watt for an entire 12x12 room, or 400 watt for a smaller 5x5 area.

I’ve tried many other LED alternatives and quite frankly, they’re all shit. I have not grown indoors in quite a while, outside of trying to get some early starts a few years ago (and my LED hatred for growing stuff is based on a pretty expensive $150 light set). I just know that metal halide works. Very well. As a bonus, it will heat the room it is in by 5-10 degrees, so great for winter growing.

Lettuce. Sure guys. Uh huh.

Is there a pump in those to circulate water?

Yes there is.

Ohhh. I might put this on my family Christmas list this year.

Man those AeroGardens look super cool. Now I want one. Thanks jerks.

My issue is I never have lettuce or tomatoes for sandwiches when I want them. When I get it from the store it goes bad so fast. Hoping this would rectify that if I got it,