Anyone play Unreal Championship yet?

What I’m really interested in is the headset. Does it really make a difference when playing a game of CTF? I wish UT2003 would have had a headset option. I just bought a plantronic headset and would love to use it on some PC games.

also… I read that the lag is unbearable with more than 8 players. How is this? Is it the game engine thats causing the lag? Everyone is on Broadband, so I can’t see why that would be the cause of lag.

–thxs

Yes, voice makes a huge difference in CTF and DOM matches. Sadly, some people may still choose to mute you or not take your advice and simply want to play team deathmatch.

I have not played with more than 8 players in any UC game. I have played several CTF with 8 and I did not have any lag issues except after the first few seconds when everyone is coming into the game.

Voice support makes even more of a difference in Ghost Recon, which is a blast with the right, like-minded players.

Ugh, no offense, but I get all I want of people with “teh strategy to win!!” and “my team is awful, they don’t do what I say” in text form.

Hey Jim…

Are there any PC games that utilize a headset? I hate getting killed while typing. It’s frustrating at times, when your trying to tell your teammate something and you get killed while standing still.

Hmm… I know that Tribes 2 supported the headset, but any other PC games that support this feature? And what about Planetside? Will they support the headset? Will it become mandatory?

Also… How are the controls in UC? Would the player benefit from keyboard/mouse combo or can you really play with a gamepad without to many limitations?

Also… Would PC gamers kill the console crowd if we were able to play together?

Finally… does UT2K3 look better than UC? I’ve read that the developers of UC had to cut corners so the game would play well on the Xbox. Is this true?

thxs. :D

Fireteam.

Fireteam.[/quote]

whats this? never heard of it? Is it a mod?

links please.

:D

Sorry AIM. It is a now defunct game which I mention to help the healing process as I lament it’s passing. Some of us talked about it here. Again, apologies if I got your hopes up.

Halflife does now, which includes all the mods… Try Natural Selection, a very nice little RTS/FPS crossover that just came out recently for it. People use the voice constantly on my server, and 99% of the time they don’t relay on farting noises for communication.

Well, there aren’t a lot of people using it, but you can go with Roger Wilco. Any serious clan users RW unless the game supports chat natively like some mods do, such as most popular Half-Life mods like Day of Defeat.

Sorry, no idea about Planetside.

The controls in UC are standard console FPS controles, i.e. move with the left stick, look with the right; shoot with right trigger, alternate shoot with left trigger. Any fps game will be better with a mouse/keyboard setup than a gamepad, from quicker turn times to better accuracy.

It wouldn’t even be close. The Xbox actually does support mouse and keyboard in the XDKs, but Microsoft doesn’t really want poeple to know that. When I was up at Microsoft for a pre-Xbox launch article, a friend of mine who works in internal PR was playing Halo with a mouse/keyboard against some guy from Bungie who was using the gamepad. It was so lopsided that he was just toying with him, throwing sticky grenades just on his head.

Any mediocre UT/CS clan would beat the crap out of the most talented console FPS players.

Yes, UT2K3 looks undoubtedly better on a MacDaddy PC. I have an AMD Athlon 2200+ w/ GeForce4 4600, 512MB RAM and Unreal looks just that. It has better, higher-res textures, much better particle/smoke effects, and I think the colored lighting and coronas looks a lot nicer on the PC, although I haven’t paid as much attention to that. The player models look nearly identical though, and they are both nicely anti-aliased. UC supports HDTV (up to 720p, I believe), but I have not seen it running on one, which would undoubtedly make it look better. Only occaisonal problem with framerate during lots of people making lots of rocket explosions.

Speaking of PC gamer advantage in FPS’s, resolution is another big one. The ability to turn down all the graphics options and play at 1600x1200 on a non-interlaced display lets you spot tiny bits of enemy from very far away and gives you enough pixels to hit them with the crosshairs.

This, like the mouse & keyboard isn’t an inherent disadvantage of consoles (it could be solved with a HDTV display and a game that actually runs at a high resolution on your console), but de facto, there really isn’t a contest.

It wouldn’t even be close. The Xbox actually does support mouse and keyboard in the XDKs, but Microsoft doesn’t really want poeple to know that. When I was up at Microsoft for a pre-Xbox launch article, a friend of mine who works in internal PR was playing Halo with a mouse/keyboard against some guy from Bungie who was using the gamepad. It was so lopsided that he was just toying with him, throwing sticky grenades just on his head.

I really wish MS would relent on this. You can play PS2 FPS games with a mouse and keyboard as I recall-- why not on the Xbox? I think they’re safely past the stigma of all the chicken littles crying “It’s a PC in sheep’s clothing!” by now.

I just can’t play a game that actually uses the word “ownage”. I may get UT2003, since I had some fun with the demo. I still can’t stand a game that tries to pull me into a juvenile frag fest though. Maybe if I play it without the sound?

It didn’t seem to bother people who played the original UT. Revisionist gaming history strikes again. No, it’s not you who has changed: it’s the game. Clearly. Obviously.

Ummm…I don’t remember saying that I liked that aspect of UT. I hated it, though I don’t remember it being quite so in my face as it seems to be in Championship (it’s not quite as bad in 2003).