Anyone playing Madden 2003 for PC? (I need some help)

I love the game, but my questions are:

1. I like playing with the older teams (ex. Dallas 1977) but are the jersey numbers actually the numbers that they used when playing? For instance, Tony Dorsett’s number is nowhere to be found. In life his jersey was #33, but I can’t find #33 anywhere? And the same goes for Roger Staubach, Too Tall Jones, etc… I’ve tried all the years that Dorsett was a Cowboy (1977, 78, 79, etc…) and I can not find his jersey number in the game!

2. I’ve tried to play Franchise mode, but why the hell does the computer substitute all the starters in the 2nd half of the game? For instance… Emmitt Smith is my main running back in the first half, but in the second half the computer takes him out of the lineup and puts the 2nd string RB as the starter. And that goes for the rest of the team as well, as the starting quarterback, LB’s etc get put on the bench in favor of the 2nd string guys. And the comp does this for their team as well. I’ve turned off auto sub, and I’ve slid the auto sub bar down to zero and it still doesn’t work. Any suggestions?

Besides these two instances, this game rocks.

thxs all. :D

Hi. I’m the assistant producer on the title, so I think I can help you out! :lol:

1. State courts have ruled the NFL players have rights to their likenesses, which extend to their jersey numbers. So if you see a 49ers jersey with the number 16 on it, you have a pretty good idea who that belongs to. Therefore, retired NFL players have rights to their likenesses which have to be bought. EA declined to spend ton of money on those rights. The result is that not all the historical players are accurate. The case is more complicated than this, but that’s the short answer.

2. This only occurs in preseason for all teams regardless of whether you play or sim the games. Player progression occurs in the preseason, so in order to give all the players on your roster a chance to improve, the CPU will automatically sub out starters for every team so that everyone has a chance to increase their stats.

If you have any other questions feel free to drop me an email.

Some of the players aren’t covered by the NFLPA licence agreements, so they don’t appear. Joe Montana is one such player (he appears as #19 on both SF and KC).

BTW, the console versions of Madden are better than the PC (IMHO of course). They feature the Madden Challenge, which somehow didn’t make it into the PC version. You get points for various achievements during the game such as breaking a 20 yard run, kicking a 50+ yard field goal and such. These points can be traded in for Madden Cards, which you can play during games for certain bonuses. One card, for instance, can be used to cause the refs to mis-spot the ball 1-3 yards in your favor after the next play.

Thanks Jim! I was going nuts trying to find this stuff out. Especially since I’m a historical sports nut, and I like to recreate past games (Cowboys vs Steelers.)

thanks again.

PS… Can you make the Eagles suck next year?

haha :lol:

Thxs for the info Union…

I do know that the Console version is better, but I love playing Madden 2003 with high resolution. Since I have a pretty beefy machine, the visuals look amazing!

:D

Fix the scouting :D

Holy crap is it ever convoluted. I spent an entire franchise mode managing and never once used my first-round draft pick on anyone resembling a first-rounder. =/

Too bad you don’t do NHL. Tom Ohle and I would have some ideas for you. :D

Bah, a pox on silly gimmicks like Madden Challenge. The graphics, especially after the last patch, make PC Madden worlds better than the console versions. Yeah, I agree with that guy above me that the Scouting system is a bit convoluted. Of course I’m the type that expect to understand things like this after reading the manual and messing around. I got nowhere here. Oh, I was also annoyed at dynasty mode. Who over that at EA Sports actually believes Jerry Rice is retiring next year? (Gannon/Woodson maybe, but not Rice.) Oh, also, they got the Rams TOTALLY wrong this year. Next year I expect the Madden team at Tiburon to be more prescient.

Right now the only problem with Madden is the music (Andrew WK?). Preston, do something about that or you’re fired.

Strange. Some people really dig it, while a lot of people really do not dig it. It’s being altered for 2004.

We do an online survey for Madden PC every year and Madden Challenges and Madden Cards are rarely if ever included in a wish list. Most PC players just seem uninterested in those features. We got a bigger response with MP3 support, real-time helmet reflection maps, printable franchise and game logs, etc.

I thank the baby Jebus everynight that I don’t have to decide what music goes in the game. Everybody in the world has a different taste in popular music and they all think theirs is better. The testers complained bitterly about Andrew W.K., but (surprise!) the marketing guys liked it. “Hey we can get Bon Jovi to debut their new single in Madden! Everybody likes Bon Jovi right!? They rocked back in high school!” That’s why we have MP3 support, so you can listen to your Brandenburg concertos during mini-camp drills.

I know, I know, I’ve changed the menu music, but I can’t seem to put my Dan Fogelburg in the in-game music (where it can do the most damage to anyone I happen to play in Hotset mode.

I hate the snippets. I tried to turn those off, but for some reason they keep playing. Make MP3 support affect ALL aspects of the game… because I really don’t spend much time in the menus.

I’m really glad they ditched the Madden rap though.

Done. MP3 support is available throughout the game, even during gameplay. It was implemented in the milestone this past weekend. That’s how influential you are. :lol:

How about Windows Media? Please?

Since I’ve been complaining about that to you, on this board, and to your PR since it was released, I take full credit and expect my name to be added to 2004’s credits. In honor of my influence, I present the following:

“Party Hard”

When it’s time to party we will party hard

You,
You work all night (all night)
And when you work you don’t feel all right
And we,
We can’t stop feeling all right (all right)
And everything is all right

'Cos we will never listen to your rules (no)
We will never do what others do
(no)
Do what we want and we get it from you
Do what we like and we like what we do

So let’s get a party going (let’s get a party going)
Now it’s time to party and we’ll party hard (party hard)
Let’s get a party going (let’s get a party going)
When it’s time to party we will always party hard
Party hard (party hard, party hard, party hard party hard, party hard, party hard party hard, party hard, party hard…)

All right
You,
You break the thing
And when you play you feel all right
But we,
We can’t stop feeling all right (all right)
And everything is all right

'Cos we will never listen to your rules (no)
We will never do what others do
(no)
Know what we want and we get it from you
We do what we like and we like what we do

So let’s get a party going (let’s get a party going)
Now it’s time to party and we’ll party hard (party hard)
Let’s get a party going (let’s get a party going)
When it’s time to party we will always party hard
Party hard (party hard, party hard, party hard party hard, party hard, party hard party hard, party hard, party hard party hard, party hard, party hard…)

Uhhh…you’re actually the first person to request it. I’m not sure if our audio system supports WMAs. I’ll have to look into that.

Heh, Bub, you really hate the Rams don’t ya :) But you’re right…half the starters should be injured, and Marc Bulger, not Jamie Martin, should be the second string QB.

Stats are based on the previous season, right? Maybe each game should be labeled for the past season rather than the upcoming unplayed season. So Madden 2003 should really be Madden 2002, released in 2003. Ha ha. And the sound you just heard was a marketing person shooting me. :wink:

Yeah. I do. I tend to hate the dominant team, especially if they play without heart (see last year’s Football Robots thread). But this year I really grew to hate the Rams. Any team that talented that implodes that badly is just a spoiled mess. Then there’s that whole Kurt Warner’s wife vs. the Coach thing. Sheesh. I like Faulk though, I kinda like Warner (except for the whole Jesus thing he does after games), and I really like Bulger. If it’s any consolation I hate plenty of other teams more than the Rams, and I rooted for the Rams during their first out of nowhere (LA) superbowl run…

TEAMS I HATE MORE THAN THE RAMS
The Ravens
The Cowboys (though when a team gets this bad I start rooting for them)
The Vikings

I just hate a dynasty (I wasn’t alive during the Packer one though, that would be the real test for me I guess). I like real smashmouth football. Close games. Anything can happen seasons. Which is why I had a freaking great time this year. I love the fact that there’s no super team right now. Go Parity!

(except for the whole Jesus thing he does after games)

I hope you don’t watch NASCAR, because Jesus decides the fate of all the races each and every week! He gets more praise than the sponsors and the rest of the team, and that’s saying something.

–Dave

NASCAR 2003/4 is developed here at Tiburon too, and I can tell you firsthand that the programmers were able to work Jesus fully into the code this year. As a matter of fact, you can pretty much let go of the controller when you’re play as divine providence is the core of the physics engine.

Yeah, but I don’t care what they may say. I don’t care what they may do. Jesus is just all right with me.