Anyone playing Magic: The Gathering Online?

Not me. Those pre-made decks are like a gateway drug.

They say, “Look heeeere. Magic does not cost much. Just by one or two of these handy pre-made decks.” You then see some cards you like and decide to get a couple of booster packs. A $500.00 credit card bill later, you are pulling your hair out. Meanwhile, the folks at WotC are rolling around naked with super models on piles of cash.

Ugh!!! Clicking a button online to get booster packs and decks is pure evil. I have restraint and think I could keep a cool head. I can just imagine, though, these teens and college kids with their astronomical credit card limits hovering close to their max limits. If I am in a store and have to hand over my hard earned cash or even sign the MC/Visa receipt, I realize what I am spending. OTOH, left clicking 5 more time looking for the card you want is going to be waaaay too tempting for many I am afraid.

Bottom line: I really do not have the time or money to get back into it. The same reasons I got out of the real thing are the same reasons I am not getting started again. MtG was fun for a while. Once it became a cash cow and the expansions began to be churned out, it lost it’s luster as I could not keep up with the suitcase players. Plus, in 5 or 10 years I would have to boot up an archaic computer to gaze at my collection. I would save money on binders and plastic sleeves, though. :wink:

Are real world Magic cards worth anything these days? I started playing and collecting around the time of The Dark expansion pack (which I think was the first). I imagine I’ve got some useful and probably rare cards in the boxes of them I have at home. I know I’ve got some dual lands, that kind of thing. Anyone know a link to a guide of some kind?

–Dave

So, I am bumping this thread because I dont want to clutter the XBLA game thread with some questions.

The XBLA game has (fortunately or unfortunately depending on my wallet) gotten my interest in Magic back, but unfortunately, I dont have local contacts to play here. Is Magic Online functional yet? I heard that things went really badly around the latest major update, and I havent played since version 2 was released.

Is it worth investing some time/money into? Would there be a way to set up a QT3 draft/sealed deck competition/league?

It’s functional except for leagues which was my big draw before. Because of that, I speaking from last month’s credit card bill, have discovered that sealed decks and booster drafts are way too addicting. That, combined with the fact that you cannot get the online cards at a discount like you can the paper version, has me telling you to stay farrrr away. Oh, did I mention that I spent $172 on stupid ass Magic cards online last month, yeah, stay the hell away.

I don’t know about our own personal drafts or whatnot but the newest client works fine. I’ve sunk tons of money into it in the past for both my gf and I. It is a perpetual money sink because you have to choose the format you are gonna play in.

Standard = latest cards so all those cards you did buy can’t be used anymore also enjoy playing nonstep net decks

Extended = suffers from the same rotational blues as standard but at least you see a variety of decks

Classic = hooray you get to play all your cards, oh wait you are almost always playing some broken turn 3 win deck

The community has tried making other formats but those suffer from power-creep as well. In pauper you play all commons but some commons are of course insane and cost more than most rares.

What I would really like to do is be able to make a cube with a bunch of online folks and just play drafts from there.

What is the cube you ask?

http://www.cubedrafting.com/what-is-the-cube/

It is made of awesome and win and takes away the I spent more money then you so I win, which frankly ruins MTG for me. Even though I am often on the winning side simply because I have a card that does the same thing as yours at half the cost and instant speed.

The MTGO 3 client is finally usable compared to the 2 one (which wasn’t true for quite a while IMO). It still doesn’t have drafts, but they do have a bunch of other new-ish formats I like, such as Swiss Drafts (where you get to play 3 games with your drafted deck even if it sucks) and “2-player queue” which is basically constructed matchmaking with a small wager.

I spend most of my time with it doing Drafts (Swiss when they fire, otherwise regular ones or the Nix Tix ones they run periodically) or just making wacky decks that get crushed in the Casual room.

I’m just here in case Legolas Greenleaf comes back.

My brother seems to love magic online. He spends his left over money after alcohol and weed on it, which isn’t very much (I’d estimate $20-40 a month). If I were going to get into magic, I’d probably play magic online. As far as I know, he mostly does draft tournaments.

I’m confused now … does it have drafts or not? :)

Your brother is truly living the American Dream.

I finally convinced him to go to college! He is enrolled for the fall, and plans to study horticulture. I shit you not, he wants to learn how to grow the best weed in the world.

It has drafts, but not draft leagues.

I downloaded the client and logged in. But I must say MTGO3 confuses me a tad. No leagues anymore? I used to enjoy the sealed deck ones.

Anyway, I’m Wendelius there. I apparently own 1233 cards. And because I only used to play SD tournaments, I have 0 decks built. :)

Wendelius

I logged back in, have all my cards from 7th and 8th edition era. I am agpolec.

I’m Vesper6 if anyone wants to add me. Since apparently, WotC’s trojan horse of Magic XBLA has worked on me… sigh.

I applied for a QuarterToThree clan, but I never heard anything back from them. Also, don’t expect leagues back before 2010 (the year, not the release) apparently.

I’m danielwolff

The clan exists invite me i’m danielwolff

Yes I got the message that the clan was approved. What would work best for me is to decide on a time to be on and then I’ll invite folks. It doesn’t have to be one single time, but the fewer the better :)