Anyone remember Osama Bin Laden?

Bush2 was insulting Clinton over the fact that he couldn’t hunt down Osama. Bush2 has had the full force of the US military for a year now and there is still no Osama Bin Laden. All the talk now is about Saddam Hussein. Can we concentrate on the person that is verifiably reasponsible for the deaths of almost 3,000 people on United States soil?

“Osama-who?”

Effectively nuetralized. Next.

Can we concentrate on the person that is verifiably reasponsible for the deaths of almost 3,000 people on United States soil?

Can we concentrate on a person who is verifiably even alive?

Do we really need all our aircraft carriers, nuclear subs and tank crews scouring the Earth for this man? That’s what I don’t get, why do people think the search would (or hell, should) occupy the complete attention of our entire military force? Perhaps we should institue a draft because we obviously don’t have enough people looking…

You both completely missed the point. What I think, and what a lot of people believe, is that Bush needs to not forget about Osama. His entire “Damn damn Saddam!” campaign is making it look like he has.

OK. Maybe his people can instruct him to say, “Damn, Damn Saddam” and then, “And fuck that Osama bastard, too.” I do not believe the U.S. has deserted their search for him. We just have other shit that needs to be done, too. Most folks believe Hussein is a threat that needs to be dealt with in some fashion and we cannot very well deal with one maniacal terrorist at a time. Maybe we should make sure Qaddafi is dead before we resume a search for Bin Laden.

I think you underestimate him. He is in hiding, but he has money, connections, and, most importantly, the ability to motivate people to do very, very bad things. There are also people who do not believe justice will be served by effectively neutralizing him.

-DavidCPA

We’ve underestimated him before. Arrogance is our worst enemy.

I think you underestimate him. He is in hiding, but he has money, connections, and, most importantly, the ability to motivate people to do very, very bad things. There are also people who do not believe justice will be served by effectively neutralizing him.

I’m still waiting for a single shred of positively identified proof that Bin Ladin isn’t vaporized by the thousands of tons we dropped on him. Don’t hold up the tape just released unless there’s been a further story where someone has said that it is not computer generated. All I’ve heard so far is that it was his voice, but it wasn’t confirmed as genuine. The lack of a follow-up makes me suspect it was a scam.

If the guy is alive and in hiding, then what should Bush be doing about him? Sending in a couple of divisions of Marines with terrorist sniffing dogs?

Seems to me that the way to deal with the guy is to use regular human intelligence assets to track him down. And then either arrest him or take him out with a Predator-launched Hellfire. Either way, there isn’t anything to talk about in public until he is found.

–milo
http://www.starshatter.com

That tape seems so fishy to me. Every one of his other tapes were video. Why the change of format unless there was something fishy. And wouldn’t he love to thumb his nose at America and say he survived?

There’s only three possibilities:

1. He doesn’t want to give away any clues as to his location, based upon background visuals.
  2. He is badly injured or sick, and doesn’t want to reveal that.
  3. He has cosmetically altered his appearance, and doesn’t want to reveal that.

Most commentators seem to support 1, which seems ridiculous to me (record in front of a plain plywood wall). 2 seems the most likely, which explains why he hasn’t revealed himself during the past year.

Possibility 4:
He’s dead and it’s bogus.

I think you overestimate him. His organization is in shambles. His known assets are frozen (you don’t think he carries it all in cash, do you?). Everytime more than 4 Al Queda agents are in the same place a cruize missle hits the car they’re riding in. The wannabe terrorists are pretty much flying solo. All we’ve got left is idiots with bombs in their shoes, disturbed snipers an some yahoo turning electric razors into little bombs.

I think you’ve missed the point. Do you realize all you’re doing is repeating some assinine soundbite liberal/anti-war pundits like to use on TV? Saying, “what about Osama” is just a deflection of the argument for taking out Saddam. It’s idiotic to assume we’ve dropped the search for Osama. It’s idiot to expect to here something new about the effort every day. We’re all being mind-phucked by the 24 hour news cycle.

Is just a deflection for the argument for taking out Saddam? I’M ALL FOR TAKING HIM OUT, YOU BUMBLING MORON.

God damn. Shut the fuck up. Just shut the fuck up.

"I think you overestimate him. His organization is in shambles. His known assets are frozen (you don’t think he carries it all in cash, do you?). Everytime more than 4 Al Queda agents are in the same place a cruize missle hits the car they’re riding in. The wannabe terrorists are pretty much flying solo. All we’ve got left is idiots with bombs in their shoes, disturbed snipers an some yahoo turning electric razors into little bombs. "

I pray that you are right…

My apologies. My comments were more directed at those who like to go around repeating things like, “what about Osama?”

My apologies. My comments were more directed at those who like to go around repeating things like, “what about Osama?”[/quote]

Which I can wholeheartedly understand. Yes, it’s really horrible that people are using Osama to deflect attention away from Saddam. Hell, it’s horrible that people try and make Saddam out to be less of a threat than he is. He may not be a threat in the mass-market scud-launching sort of way people think about other countries, but he’s definitely a problem who needs to be taken care of.

Meanwhile, though, I have to say that I agree with Dirt. I hope you’re right in that all we have left are a bunch of fanatics who can’t seem to determine when they’ve lost and when their war is over. It seems that the organized cells seem to have gotten lost in the cracks for now. If all we have to worry about are a bunch of razor-blade-bomb wielding, sniping, wannabie Counter-Strike terrorists, then that’s a sight for sore eyes. If that’s just the calm before the storm, well, just what if?

(And apologies for yelling earlier, you know how I am.)

There’s only three possibilities:

1. He doesn’t want to give away any clues as to his location, based upon background visuals.
  2. He is badly injured or sick, and doesn’t want to reveal that.
  3. He has cosmetically altered his appearance, and doesn’t want to reveal that.

Most commentators seem to support 1, which seems ridiculous to me (record in front of a plain plywood wall). 2 seems the most likely, which explains why he hasn’t revealed himself during the past year.[/quote]

1. He doesn’t have a video camera.

Troy

Perhaps somebody ought to inform the 200 or so Australians killed in Bali that Al Qaeda is in “shambles” and they don’t have to worry about being dead any more.