Anyone roll your own Christmas mixes?

I worked in a mall for several years, so having been overexposed to them, I can’t stand traditional Christmas carols. I made a mix for the family of very few carols, but mostly Holiday-themed songs that I can tolerate. (It’s heavily on Tull because I have their Christmas album.)

Here’s the mix:

1. Birthday Card at Christmas – Jethro Tull
  2. Christmas is Going to the Dogs – Eels
  3. Christmas Wrapping – The Waitresses
  4. Roses are Free – Ween
  5. Another Lonely Christmas – Prince
  6. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – U2
  7. Peace on Earth/Drummer Boy – Bing & Bowie
  8. Got Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen – Jethro Tull
  9. Christmas in the Caribbean – Jimmy Buffett
  10. Christmas at the Zoo – The Flaming Lips
  11. Happy Xmas (War is Over) – John Lennon
  12. Everything’s Gonna Be Cool This Christmas – Eels
  13. Little Drum Machine Boy – Beck
  14. Fire at Midnight – Jethro Tull

Any suggestions for more? I don’t have any of those “Rock n Roll Christmas” CD various artist compilations, but I don’t mind paying $0.89 for a song here and there.

No Christmas album is complete without:

1: R2-D2 We Wish You a Merry Christmas, featuring a young John Bongiovi on lead vocals, and;
2: Christmas With the Devil - Spinal Tap

I’m also quite fond of some of the tracks on last year’s We Wish You a Metal Xmas compilation, especially Lemmy, Billy Gibbons and Dave Grohl’s cover of “Run Rudolph Run,” and “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” featuring Ronnie James Dio and Tony Iommi.

Also, I caught Tull when they were touring in support of that Christmas album, and it was easily the best show I’ve ever been to. Wish I could have seen them in their prime.

I missed that Tull show. Really wish I’d seen it. I haven’t seen Tull ever, and I should before they retire (or, ahem, die).

Triggercut is the Christmas Mix masteraround these parts.
(that’s the 2008-thread with links to earlier mixes, many of us have them on our players now)

But the subject has been up before.

This is not to stifle this thread - I love me a good Christmas music thread.

One song that always makes it into my Christmas playlists:
Christmas at Ground Zero - Weird Al Yankovic

I just threw “Christmas” by the Who into the middle of the mix. I’m looking into the other songs suggested above. Thanks!

I did a sorta kinda mix last year for my FB friends (interestingly it seems Facebook remembers updates a year back, but only some of them and seemingly at random. Weird):

The Yobs - 12 Days of Xmas (NSFW)
William S. Burroughs w. The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - The Junkies Christmas(don’t forget to click part two)
Type O Negative - Red Water (Christmas Mourning)
Tom Waits - Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis
Dennis Leary - Merry Fuckin’ Christmas
Mr. Garrison - Merry Fuckin’ Christmas
And my absolute all time favourite christmas song:
The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale of New York

Twisted Sister’s A Twisted Christmas. The End.

The Kinks’ “Father Christmas.” The End.

God rest ye Geri’ Mental-men
We hope you’ve liked your stay
You’re only getting out right now
Because it’s Christmas Day

I have nothing else to add at this time.

The Chieftains – Bells of Dublin has a lot of great tracks, including the amusing “St. Stephen’s Day Murders” from Elvis Costello.

Gotta love…well, most of what you can find on Hot Christmas by the Squirrel Nut Zippers. I’m partial to A Johnny Ace Christmas, myself. Indian Giver is a change of pace if you’re not, you know, all an-episode-of-Seinfeld about it.

I Wanna Rock You Hard This Christmas by the Dan Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54sDzkyhx_Q

I love this song. I first heard it on an episode of the now-canceled NBC show Life and it’s been on my Christmas play list since.

While putting together my own mix, I rediscovered that I owned Monster Ballads Christmas.

1. Jingle Bells by Skid Row
  2. Happy Christmas (War Is Over) by Winger
  3. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Jani Lane Of Warrant
  4. I’ll Be Home for Christmas by Twisted Sister with Lita Ford
  5. White Christmas by Queensryche
  6. Run Rudolph Run by L.A. Guns
  7. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree by Firehouse
  8. Naughty Naughty Xmas by Danger Danger
  9. Blue Christmas by Tom Keifer of Cinderella
  10. Jingle Bell Rock by Nelson
  11. Silent Night by Faster Pussy cat
  12. Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Dokken
  13. Happy Holiday by Enuff Z’Nuff
  14. Winter Wonderland by Stryper
  15. Christmas Love by Billy Idol

Love it…

I’m as athiest as it gets, but I actually miss the fact that X-mas songs actually mentioning “jesus” have basically been banned – all Santa and Jingle Bell Rock these days – we’ve basically lost a whole library of songs that I used to really enjoy this time of year.

I’m a fan of many Christmas songs mentioning Jesus either by name or implication–in fact “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”, “Hark The Herald”, and “A Midnight Clear” are among my favorite songs of the season.

I tend to use those songs sparingly, if at all, on the mixes I personally make, and there’s no agenda there, really.

For starters, there is a truism to any mixtape constructed within the rock/soul/pop idiom: you leave songs that mention “Jesus” off them, no matter what. If you put a song that drops a J-bomb in it onto a secular rock mix, you might as well put the sound of someone scratching the needle across a record, because that’s how it impacts most social atmospheres for which the mix has been constructed.

Secondly, when I make my Christmas mixes, I’m sending out 30 or so to friends and family as Christmas cards. 6 of those people are Jewish. 3 are Muslim. 1 is a Buddhist. Uncounted numbers of the recipients are agnostic or atheist. I don’t want them to feel preached at or feel as if I’m imposing my own midwestern WASPy-ness on anyone, as I’m sure they get enough of that the other 364 days of the year.

And while I’m sure that sounds very politically correct, I take a different view. I think of God as being a pretty inclusive guy who wants as many folks into the tent as possible, whatever that tent might be. I think that if there is a God and we are his creation, that he’d want us to feel joy and feel celebratory and through those feelings maybe experience something that transcends merely hearing a melody or lyrics or a fine musical performance. I think that if there’s a God, he’d want as many of us in his creation to feel capital J Joy, and if something from Vince Guaraldi’s soundtrack from the Charlie Brown Christmas special induces nostalgia-founded joy in a listener, great. If hearing those goofballs in Marah sing “Christmas with the snow, with the snow, with the snow snow” over and over again until the sheer force of will there kicks a listener out of a crappy day and into a joyful one, then we’re good. If hearing Kirsty MacColl call Shane MacGowan a “scumbag a maggot, a cheap lousy faggot” is the precursor to feeling that the season touches all of us, no matter how small and mean, well, super.

Well, I’m an atheist and the mix is only for my family…so I don’t care WHAT goes on it!

All kudos to triggercut on this one - discovered this band from a post in the good eighties music thread:

Game Theory - Regenisraen

Push to shove, Game Theory frontman Scott Miller is my favorite musician of all time. His thoughts on “Regenisraen”:

Regenisraen: Like the Beatles, I’ve somehow managed to write lyrics a lot of people think have hidden meaning to be deciphered, but I’ve done it without any of the burdensome worldwide superstardom the Beatles had to put up with. Gil, Shelley and Suzi, the new band, sing some good harmonies on this song. Gil on guitar. Incidentally, “Regenisraen” is Latin for “kill the pigs, acid is groovy.”