Anyone think that Sony should bundle Lumines?

I mean fo shizzle here, it’d be as genius as bundling Tetris with the GameBoy was.

That and a $50 price drop might push me over the edge on a purchase.

It would have made the 250$ feel better to spend thats for sure. But WHY would they when they can bundle in 3$ worth of useless shit for an extra $50?

I hope Sony learns something about price from the PSP when they price the PS3.

PS3? Cell? Blu-Ray? If it sells for under $400, you can color me amazed!

I strongly think Microsoft and Sony’s system will be in the $350 range and both will include a game.

I hope not or it’ll be in a ‘value’ pack with pwoer cords and a FREE singel controller for 50$ more than the japanese system.

Before the Japanese price was even announced speculation was that it was going to cost close to $300 based on the quality of the hardware. Sony pretty much shocked everyone when they priced it in Japan at the equivalent of $185 US dollars. It sucks that we had to get shafted with the $250 bundle but considering the hardware probably not surprising.

Now whether its smart to make a portable that hight tech in the first place is a different discussion. But I think Sony showed with their aggressive pricing of the PSP they are willing to take a loss for marketshare and I would expect the PS3 to be no different.

What makes you think Lumines would even be a good pack-in? Isn’t it not selling very well, on account of how it appeals to a pretty small audience*?

[size=1]*In addition to being completely mediocre.[/size]

Lumines is doing quite well actually.

Because it’s catchy, accessible to everyone, good for long or short sessions, and it’s a hell of a lot better than Wayne Gretzky Hockey.

Because it’s catchy, accessible to everyone, good for long or short sessions, and it’s a hell of a lot better than Wayne Gretzky Hockey.[/quote]

I’ll take you at your word on that last part, but I didn’t find it that catchy. I played a couple rounds, and then decided that I’d had about enough.

I think Lumines would be good from the standpoint that anyone could play it, but maybe not so good because a lot of people just won’t “get it”.

Do you think an included title should necessarily push the limits of the hardware or is that not necessary?

I don’t think it’s necessary that it push the limits of the hardware, but I do think it should at least show the hardware off a little bit. Which is another thing Lumines doesn’t really do.

But mainly, it just seems to me that Lumines isn’t the PSP title with the broadest appeal. Yes, anyone can pick it up and play, but that doesn’t mean everyone wants to. I think Tony Hawk or something would make more sense.

Do you own a PSP, Extar? I’d be tempted to say that the primary reason for Lumines as a pack-in vs. Tony Hawk or any of the other games is the instant accessibility. It’s a game you can play for 5 minutes or 150. Most of the others, Tony Hawk and Wipeout (which is a lot more impressive visually than TH in my opinion) aren’t like that.

Not in the sense that it is 3D, agreed. I would say that you’d be hard pressed to show me a slicker 2D game, though. As I said before, I really think the production values (meaning sound, graphics, total package) is just dynamite and I’d rank it up with some of my all time favorites (e.g. Moonbase Commander, Firefall Arcade). These are all games that, IMO, have a tremendous style about them that is implemented consistently from start to finish.

No, but I’ve played Lumines, and not for any 150 minutes either. You can free skate in TH for five minutes and have fun.

No, but I’ve played Lumines, and not for any 150 minutes either. You can free skate in TH for five minutes and have fun.[/quote]

I think it’s hard to actually judge good games on the PSP from playing someone else’s for a few minutes. Literally everyone I talked to said the same thing about Lumines on a borrowed PSP that you did. However, the folks who own the PSP and take the game home and give it a chance almost unanimously change their tune. It’s certainly not flashy enough to make people buy a PSP for, but it’s got far more lasting power than any of the other games.

Of course, some folks just don’t do puzzlers anyway.

Because it’s catchy, accessible to everyone, good for long or short sessions, and it’s a hell of a lot better than Wayne Gretzky Hockey.[/quote]

I’ll take you at your word on that last part, but I didn’t find it that catchy. I played a couple rounds, and then decided that I’d had about enough.[/quote]

You probably didn’t play it enough. I thought it was blah the first couple of hours or so, but then it clicked and it became entrancing. Up to 240k now…

I totally disagree. Lumines is probably the only game on the PSP that I could get my mom to play. I could explain it to her in 1 minute. “It’s tetris but you make squares.” My wife is enamored with it and I find it to be a very good game.

Lumines may appeal to a small portion of the hardcore audience (e.g. the early adopters that already own a PSP) but including a game like Lumines would surely bring in some new buyers while making it easier for the less hardcore to swallow the current price tag. I think it would make a great pack-in.

Let’s remember that Tetris is easily one of the most universally loved games ever created. Didn’t some relatively successful handheld pack that little gem into its package?