Anyone try the wireless phone LORD OF THE RINGS game?

I see this “Lord of the Rings” game advertised in Verizon Wireless phone ads. Looks sort of like a primative version of Final Fantasy. Anyone tried it?

At work(verizon wireless) yesterday my boss said “try and mention the lord of the rings games to customers.” I asked him if there’s a way I could get it for free and he just walked away :( Maybe i’ll waste a few bucks and try it out.

I’m hoping we get Tony Hawk, I know it’s exclusive to AT&T right now but it looks pretty sweet.

Why don’t cel phone companies spend more time making the phone service better? Fuck Tony Hawk and LOTR (and Star Wars), I want a more reliable phone.

Seriously though, are “games available” REALLY driving sales meaningfully? Are people dumping T-Mobile to play Tony Hawk on their AT&T phone instead? Really?

Saw a report the other day, unfortunately can’t remember where, that detailed the most popular cell phone games. #1 : Space Invaders.

Makes you wonder if they even need to bother.

My theory is “most popular” means 1% of the phone owners play it and less than 5% even realize they have it. Don’t mind me, I’m 31 and grumpy and I want my phone to be a phone… I don’t ask for it to be anything else and resent it when it makes the attempt.

I saw monkey ball being demo’ed on a cel. No Monkey Target. :(((( It still looked interesting, but I wonder how it compares to the GBA version.

Who do you mean by “phone companies” – the mobile operators, like AT&T, etc., or the phone manufacturers, like Nokia, etc.? The phone manufacturers are spending a ton of money on Java phones and they are selling like hotcakes. The mobile operators are spending virtually zero on making Java games available – they are, instead, just taking a cut of revenue created by third parties for offering those games (which they’ll use to benefit their stakeholders, make making phone service, etc.)

I’m a huge cynic of this market, but the numbers (so far) are surprisingly positive.

I just want to say - the best games and service are Sprint PCS.

And their oh so sweet, sweet PCS stock.

Chet

the FON side has taken a beating but I have to agree about the PCS stock. I did a few projects for them back in the 98-2000 salad days.

Hey is KAHN still around?

I’m hardly a devoted company man but I personally would stay away from Sprint. They’re almost as bad as Cingular in the way they try and screw their customers. They also closed a large number of call centers over the past year and have started charging many customers who bill less than about $50 a month $5 everytime they speak with a customer care rep, even if it was because of an error Sprint made. Their plans are confusing and deceptive(more than other carriers that is, heh), and they have a history of getting phones as soon as they reach the market which means you get a lot of cases of returns and/or having to go in and do software upgrades.

Verizon Wireless is pretty good overall I think. Sure, our plans are pretty expensive but we’re always having specials on the plans. Our reps also have a lot of flexibility when it comes to giving you a hand (lost your job? We’ll change you to a much lower plan if you like with no contract renewal, or maybe hook you up with a couple months free service, or just temporarily suspend the service for a while). The thing we’re really critisized for is the fact that we tend to have a lot of billing errors. Because a lot of our plans allow you to customize certain parts there’s the possibility of minutes being left off (like your night & weekends), but if you take 30 second to look at the bill and take some time to call in it’ll get fixed. As far as network goes it’s pretty solid. When I drove from sacramento to LA for E3 last year I had the phone on constantly because it was hooked into my laptop, didnt have any drops, pretty good overall. And finally, if there are areas that we don’t cover we have a pretty high number of affiliate carriers who allow our customers to roam on their network (sprint included, and AT&T in a lot of areas if you don’t mind going to analog). And if you have a decent pricing plan then you’re not going to have to worry about roaming.

AT&T is pretty nice when it comes to pricing plans and overall customer service. If I didn’t have Verizon Wireless already I’d go with them I think. The main problem is that they don’t seem to value long-term customers. The times i’ve checked with them they didnt have any policy for giving their customers discounted phone upgrades after their contract is over. So if your contract is over it appears as if getting a new phone is entirely up to you. (Hell, even when you start out all their inexpensive phones are those horrible square Nokia phones.) They also like to try and stack up contracts. A friend of mine signed up with them for 2 years and changed their pricing plan 6 months into their contract. Well AT&T extended their contract for an additional year. Not a year from that day, but a year from their original contract end date. That’s why you’ll hear tales of AT&T customers on 5 year contracts. And don’t forget that a lot of your special promotional minutes drop off once your contract is over and that if you want to keep them you’ll have to extend your contract. I’m not real crazy about their move to GSM service either. So they’re moving from an outdated technology with very little system capacity to another system that offers a fairly insignificant increase in capacity and gives you features that are already being found with other systems. Wow, you can use your phone in Europe. Great.

No kidding. “Great, I can play all these awesome games, I just can’t make any calls!” There was a great article about 6 months ago (that I have up in my cubicle at work) that talked about all the technology cell phone carriers are investing in(brew capability, high speed data, voice gear etc etc) and yet on a whole coverage is still really lacking.

The thing is that most carriers are expanding their networks as fast as possible(many of them are maxed out in terms of capacity. At any given time most the carriers only have about 6 months given their current new subscriber rates before their systems are completely maxed) but run into so many problems from local and federal regulators. Everyone wants coverage, but no one wants to stare at an antenna all day. So I think the carriers get the idea that there’s only so many billions they can spend to expand their networks for questionable gains in performance and capacity, but they can spend a few million on improving entertainment packages, SMS and so on. The fact that most of these products don’t interfere with capacity and are extremely profitable is a plus I’m sure.

I think it’s the extra little thing that puts them over the edge to switching. People are dumping T-Mobile because their coverage is a complete joke. They switch to one carrier over the other because one has prettier phones and gadgets and offers more minutes than another carrier. Something to remember is that most people who use cell phones don’t actually think things through. They see an ad that says they get 10,000 minutes for $49.99 a month and a new fangled phone for .10 cents. Nevermind the fact that their new carriers coverage map looks like a shotgun blast, they just went with a three year contract, and that there are tons of hidden fees. People just want something that looks pretty.