Anyone Trying Final Fantasy XI?

i’ll be receiving this game some time this week. kinda looking forward to trying something else out, despite my continuing AC1 love affair.

Edit - brief conversation with someone who was in the beta… apparently there ARE usa servers now. Also when creating a character, the game presents you with a world and you hit “accept”… if you don’t hit accept it presents another world. So, you can just keep saying “no” until you get on the server you want apparently.

So I guess… first person in post your world and we’ll try to follow.

(Yea the world pass sounds like a chore, but cmon now…it gives you what you want)

No I don’t, what I want is to not have to pay to change the server I play on to play with my buddies since the server you happen to be on is not entirely by your inherent choice to begin with.

— Alan

This thread gave me the misconception as well, so I’ll clear it up - the World Passes are purchased with IN GAME money. At least they’re not bending the players over that way.

scrubbed

The one thing I liked that Mythic did (after I left) was setup the ability to roll an instant 30th level character on the severely underpopulated realms. I guess it didn’t work the way they wanted but it seemed like a pretty decent idea. Far better than most of their ideas.

The world pass thing is a great idea. There is a barrier to entry (with the in game funds) but it is still possible. It lets people that really want to change move but people won’t just hop from server to server on a whim.

Also the paying a bit extra for extra characters is still better than the SWG method of shelling out another $50 and $15 a month to get a second character on the server.

My wife is going to try the game. I may roll up a character on her account as well just to see how it is. I haven’t played an MMORPG since I left DAoC many months ago.

– Xaroc

Don’t you have to have a level 50 character to get the instant level 30 characters in DAoC? I don’t have a level 50 and probably never will. The leveling is too boring.

Yes, you do have to be 50 to get instant level 30s. The leveling is not much different than most games and faster than EQ. Plus you can roll a necro and get to 50 in like 4 or 5 days played then have your 30s anywhere you want.

– Xaroc

Yes, you do have to be 50 to get instant level 30s. The leveling is not much different than most games and faster than EQ. Plus you can roll a necro and get to 50 in like 4 or 5 days played then have your 30s anywhere you want.

– Xaroc[/quote]

I can’t do that. I don’t know the secrets to leveling that fast. Also, five days played is 120 hours. That represents 120 hours of dull leveling. That’s just a huge barrier since I’ve already put in a lot of hours with DAoC and the sense of discovery isn’t there anymore.

I have a level 39 air theurg and I was playing him last night in Lyonesse (think that’s the name) killing ghosts with air nukes. My XP bar would barely move with each kill, and I’m guessing I needed to kill 200-250 of them to make a level. I was instantly bored after a few pulls.

All I do is get within distance and then nuke, nuke, nuke. Sometimes if I get a crit, it’s just nuke and nuke. Sometimes if I get a miss it’s nuke, nuke, root, run back, and nuke and nuke. That’s it. That’s the way every single fight goes, unless I get lag and die, like I eventually did, undoing most of my XP gain with XP loss from my death.

I believe that you have a choice in which realm you choose on any given server, you just don’t get to choose which server you start on.

The idea was great in theory, but not in practice. I’ve tried casually rolling a hib on merlin (also severely underpopulated). I did /level to start at 30, but the crap gear that they give you makes it so that you can’t do anything. I would die to blue mobs (edit: mobs 4-6 levels lower than me, for the laypeople) without getting them to half health. Also, it’s not like someone can just throw you a couple gold to get you up and running. it takes signifigant cash to equip a level 30 character decently, so it’s nearly impossible to get a good start anywhere unless you can find someone to do a cross server money swap (good luck).

All it ends up doing, in reality, is allowing people who have 50’s on a server already to more easily pass stuff down to alts and get them to 50 even faster.

– Xaroc[/quote]

I can’t do that. I don’t know the secrets to leveling that fast. Also, five days played is 120 hours. That represents 120 hours of dull leveling. That’s just a huge barrier since I’ve already put in a lot of hours with DAoC and the sense of discovery isn’t there anymore.
[/quote]

It isn’t much of a secret you spec full deathsight and pull spirit weak mobs non-stop with your power tap. There are guides on where to find them. It is amazing to see your xp bar move quickly even in the 40s. You could get a necro to 50 before you get your theurgist to 50 from 39. However all of this is moot if you are bored with the game.

BTW, you have likely put in at least 10 days played to get to level 39 just to put things in perspective.

– Xaroc

Just a quick update - if they do in fact add new servers, we plan on shooting for one of the new ones. If not, myself and a few others will be trying to hook up on the Odin server.

You know I’m not sure if the webcam is “live” or not. At work I tried playing it again, and after about five minutes I came up to the very same familiar crotch-shot of a female character with a tail, and the very next shot was the same as well - a cut shot to a woman in some armor. The same shot as I saw last night.

It could be that the character has been standing there that whole time or something like that, as the lighting for the second shot might have been different. Hard to tell.

— Alan

Could it be an NPC?

for the most part I think the camera runs a set script through various areas. In some places it hits close-ups on NPC’s - probably to highlight the excellent character detail. I’ve heard though that sometimes the camera is actually controlled by someone and follows players in dungeon crawls and fighting epic-level encounters. Can’t say that I’ve seen that personally though.

Well I have seen it at certain lairs/areas, like the entrance to an ice castle, that had a fair number of players, etc. fighting in front of it.

Yeah it could be an NPC - that would make sense if it was programmed to go to a certain spot.

— Alan

– Xaroc[/quote]

I have a level 39 air theurg and I was playing him last night in Lyonesse (think that’s the name) killing ghosts with air nukes. My XP bar would barely move with each kill, and I’m guessing I needed to kill 200-250 of them to make a level. I was instantly bored after a few pulls.

All I do is get within distance and then nuke, nuke, nuke. Sometimes if I get a crit, it’s just nuke and nuke. Sometimes if I get a miss it’s nuke, nuke, root, run back, and nuke and nuke. That’s it. That’s the way every single fight goes, unless I get lag and die, like I eventually did, undoing most of my XP gain with XP loss from my death.[/quote]

You need to form groups to do anything close to fast leveling post lvl 35 or so. Doing it any other way will be what you describe. Plus in groups you can go camp a dungeon, or dangerous mobs, or whatever. I don’t enjoy PvEing a whole lot (hence I’ve only personally done one level 50) but it can be fun if you mix up the experience.

And /level 30 did even out Bors. Sucks that it didn’t work for you, but I know Copper is still paying attention to that stuff. It’s (unfortunately) not something they can just fix over night without creating massive shifts in realm dominance as everyone always plays on the side that’s winning.

Anyway this is really fodder for a new thread, Don’t want to hijack this one - Sorry :X