Anyone used Newegg's Preferred program?

Hey guys, how are you? I’m writing because I’d like to know if anyone has any experience with Newegg’s preferred buyer program. I’d love to be able to spread the payment of my purchases for my new gaming computer over the next six months, but it being like a credit card has be concerned (credit cards and I don’t work well together). ;) I’d love to hear your opinions. Thanks!

There are only three adult justifications to voluntarily go into debt. School loans, buying a house, and starting your own business. Rule of thumb is if you can’t afford it don’t buy it.

You forgot buying a car.

No, I don’t think he did. Don’t buy beyond your means.

Doing well, thanks for asking.

Chet

I figured as much, thanks for the answers. I won’t get into it, then. :)

So you pay cash (or equivalent) for everything else? You… save up? How very 50s!

That’s what I plan on doing at least. ;)

I do use credit cards for protection and to maintain my credit rating, but I pay them off every month. I sleep great.

I’m going to need a little more convincing that it’s even possible to save up enough money to buy a car.

It’s possible. We put aside money every month for the next car, as though we were making a car payment – although both of our cars are paid off.

I do use credit cards, for the reasons Stusser gives. But we pay them off every month.

Oh, it’s very possible. You can buy a reliable used car for as little as $3k, just have it checked by a mechanic before handing over the check. New cars start around $11k or so.

If you need a car to get to work it isn’t voluntary debt anyway. So long as you lease a honda sedan and not a lexus SUV there’s nothing wrong with it.

Oh, you cycle through beaters. My friend’s parents did that. Nothing against it, really, as long as you have a reliable mechanic you can trust. What, uh, what 11K new cars are you referring to?

The Kia Rio and the Hyundai Accent are both around that, and the Hyundai Elantra is available for not much more if you get a deal.

Hey man, there’s nothing wrong with getting a Lexus SUV if I know that I can pay it off and have considered all the additional expenses of owning one.

Me, coming out of college, I bought a nice car (Audi A4), paid it off in 2-3 years, and will now drive the thing into the ground.

You also get: one of the worst import cars extant. You’d better save up for another car alright, those things are worthless as trade-ins. And Kias are notoriously unsafe.

Can’t say I have experience with either of the first two, but I did drive an Elantra for about a year and a half and it was a great little car.

Just wait until the Chinese cars hit the market!

I would like to comment that going into personal debt for a business is also very fucking stupid. (I should be done paying off that 10 year mistake this year) Please, set up a corporation to protect yourself.

Anyways, I don’t have a problem with going in debt for cars either. I know people who pay cash for cars. They are either drug dealers, mega rich, or have the ability to work on cars to keep them running while saving up for the next one. (and generally this handy men tend to buy used again and don’t mind spending every weekend fixing something on it) Since I’m not a drug dealer, mega rich, and my disability prevents me from getting under the hood, I just have to accept that I’m paying more for a car. Just about everyone else I know has a car loan anyways. When I don’t have a car payment, I invest the money in my retirement instead of having it sit in a bank earning 2%. Whatever money I might loose on a car loan is generally made up from the money earned in investments.

I have to side with stusser on this one, there’s no need for a person to go in debt on a car. Though the fact that vast majority of people do believe that is probably the reason that such good deals are available in the used car market for folks who know how to find them. I’ve got no problem with folks who take out big loans for flashy vehicles and can swing the payments but it baffles me how many people I know feel that nothing but a new car will do and then struggle with the payments.

The used car route isn’t limited to people who repair their own cars either. There are quite reliable used cars available.