Anyone using the Vivaldi 4.0 browser?

Oh that’s good to hear. Glad you’re enjoying it despite some niggles that I hope can be resolved.

Let’s face it, no browser is perfect. But Vivaldi is as close to perfect as it gets for my taste.

Agreeeeeed.

I’ve been using it for a few years now. The biggest thing I ran into with it over a year ago now was certain sites detecting it as an out of date browser.

I’ve honestly never run into that.

It can be a pita. IIRC, it was on secure sites I needed to use to pay bills. It was extremely frustrating.

Sheeeeeeeeit

Yep. I keep Google Chrome installed for this reason. I suppose I could use Edge too.

They patched Vivaldi in v2.10 (December 2019ish) to report the same user agent string as chrome to stop that sort of stupid blocking stuff from happening.

There are also extensions you can use to easily spoof it, if need be.

Nice. That’s good to know and tracks with timing of issues I had for sure.

Need help. In Chrome, Firefox, etc. an email link in a web site would take me to gmail. I don’t want to use Vivaldi’s email client. I just want an email link to open in gmail the same as it does in Chrome or Firefox. I haven’t been able to find a solution for this in Google.

I’m not home so I can’t check but I THINK you just disable the Vivaldi email client in the settings and it should work normally.

OK, belay that, installed a mailto:gmail extension and that worked. When I disabled the email client it wasn’t working.

You might have inadvertently already set the mailto handler previously. I never have, and when I just tested a mailto I was shown a dialogue where I was asked what to use to handle such links.

Also worth remembering that as Vivaldi is based on Chrome you can go to chrome://settings/handlers to see what’s set.

I use Firefox almost exclusively for one feature: TreeStyle Tabs. Yes, Vivaldi has tabs that can be put on the sides, but that wasn’t enough. Then they added Tab Stacking - great, closer! But not a fan of the double-decker look they added. It worked okay for tabs at the top, but wasn’t great for tabs on the side (I open enough tabs that they need to be on the side).

However, I just found out today that the latest release (now a month old) added ‘Accordion’ style. At first blush, this is now quite close to the visual style/comfort of what I use TreeStyle Tabs for in Firefox! It even works well with tabs at the top which is something Firefox can’t do at all to my knowledge. While I’m not currently having any issues with Firefox beyond reading about the slow destruction of Mozilla itself, this is the one ‘killer’ feature I needed to even consider switching (again).

I’ve yet to try it but it sounds neat.

I keep filing new cool things I can do in Vivaldi. I’m just seeing the part of the iceberg above the waterline right now. This is a keeper.

One question: how do I open an MKV file in a tab?

Yaaaaayyyy!!!

No idea on MKV files though.

Yeah, it’s great. I wish I could use it at work but it’s frowned upon. (I can’t even install it)

What? Booo!