Anyone want to play a game of chess?

you and @Gorath should join the QT3 team, we play mostly correspondence games

Thanks, I considered it when you started, but I already spend way too much time coaching chess. I’m glad to see everybody is enjoying the tournament though. :)

Thanks for posting your game. It looks like you were lost when you entered the endgame and then turned it around. ;) Not the opening’s fault though.

I own the same book and generally agree with everything you wrote, apart from minor details.

I don’t think there are that many variations to annoy the Dragon player to the extend the 10.Qe1 line does. After 9.0-0-0 d5 Black gets close to equality, but he’s still got a little work to do, while White is safe. So Black doesn’t get what he wants in the Dragon. I don’t think the Dragon is in such a bad theoretical shape on sub-2600 level. White maybe gets a normal opening advantage (ca. +0.3), but not more. The more violent lines require so much work that they don’t make much sense for an amateur, unless you play them with both colours.
The more popular Sicilians (Najdorf, Sveshnikov, Taimanov) are in perfect theoretical shape and at least Najdorf and Taimanov also offer chances to play for a win.

Actually I’ve been playing this 10.Qe1 line on and off for almost 30 years. I found it quite unfortunate that Team Shaw featured it heavily and made it the new main line. :/
I found out about it in the early 90s, when I watched one of the line’s inventors - the now forgotten Russian GM Semjon Dvoiris - fold a strong IM Origami-Style without giving him even a hint of counterplay. Especially early on this line was very poisonous for Black.

A detail most books go over rather quickly is Black can take back on d5 with the pawn on move 12. This was theoretically buried by Leko I think, but I always found it pretty uncomfortable to play against because the White king is more open.

I managed to pull out a win against @tylertoo in our game.

nice, 2 more games in Round 3.

Thanks for the game @tylertoo. I felt lucky to get away with that, after fluffing the opening and being forced into a queen exchange just to keep my losses down to the d-pawn. That was a bad middle game position for me; I remember a 20 minute session at the analysis board where I was struggling to see how I could develop my jammed in queenside pieces, avoid getting my rook pinned to my king, and stop losing pawns, and I ended up going to bed without finding my moves. It felt like too many threats and not enough time. I’m fairly sure that if you’d continued attacking at that point I wouldn’t have been able to hold you off.

Man, I just got forked hard in the other rated Lichess game I’m playing. It was after a forcing move, too, so I would have had to have seen it 2 moves in advance. Don’t know if Spinning Sandwich is a Qt3er or not, but well done, sir!

…(I’m still up a point… nyup nyup)

if possible, you can post the game here…

In chess news, Magnus Carlsen’s unbeaten run (125 games over two and a half years) in classical time formats finally came to an end. And it was a great attacking game to watch. Here it is in my favourite Youtube chess channel (this channel being the main reason I’ve started playing again).

Magnus, being fully embedded in social media, responded with this:

Which is a pretty awesome response to a loss that must have stung. Especially as (from this rank amateur’s POV) it seemed like he was thoroughly outplayed from the moment the game left the book line.

I watched it on other channels. He blundered and the position was beyond repair. But that fork of bishop and rook by the white queen was kind of hard to see, if you do not look for it. Of course, if you see it you cannot unsee it.

Thanks for the game, you played very well. I know I should go back and study it but I almost can’t bear to relive it. You pressure me throughout and never let up.

In a parallel universe where I didn’t miss the really obvious fantastic opportunity on move 6, I might have won against Selfoss. However, in this timeline I somehow managed to completely miss it (!) until 5 seconds after I’d made a far lesser move. My inevitable defeat followed some time thereafter.

This was Queen’s Gambit Accepted on my part, by the way. Having sampled it, I can say it probably won’t be my go-to response in the future.

That was a good game. 13… Bc5 was another move that would have got you out of a lot of trouble that I only saw on the post-game analysis.

Yes, I was so obsessed with pinning your knight that I didn’t see the consequences.

so this concludes round 3

please check the results. We could have a Round 4 or end the tournament here.

current standings see below

When I go to Challonge it shows a different standings table.

Makes more sense as we’ve all played three games.

some copy/paste issue. Your table looks good.

Here it is

No help though, please. I’m going to beat this guy. SS, if you’re out there…

no help, just a remark on what was played. When you play g6, I was expecting your next move would be bishop g7, instead you went for a queen walk. That struck me odd from a development point of view. Otherwise, strange how he gave up his knight on b3. You can do it!

1 vote to keep going.